When will Marshfield have full-day Kindergarten?

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Seahag
Transient
Transient

Re: When will Marshfield have full-day Kindergarten?

Post by Seahag » Jan Mon 29, 2018 11:05 am

Clover, you make a very good case for better education at the high school level, citing your youngest son's getting an A in Advanced Calc as a high school student, after being cast into a B level group at an earlier age and your objections to the administration at MHS at that time. Seems like you knew, as a parent, better than the school did! I don't object to that at all, in fact, am in favor of parents speaking up. I would like to hear though what your previous experiences were if you have had older kids in the Marshfield school system. Did they fare as well? And did they go, or not go, to pre-school or private Kindergarten?
I don't agree that small children don't need to go to pre-school or Kindergarten. Is there really no curriculum for them?? My own kids went to a private Kindergarten here in town b/c then there was no public K. My grandkids however, started pre-school at a very young age at a Montessori program, and have gone on to being high honor students at high school level.
I am for free Kindergarten in our town for all children, whether home owners or renters! The potential renters at the Modera project will all have to be of a pretty high income level to live in one of those very expensive apartments!

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Mon 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Eric, do you really believe that 100 kindergarten students are going to move to Modera because we have free kindergarten? That's a real stretch. Consider the apartment complex called The Villages/ Fox Run. This is a much larger complex than Modera would be and because most of the students living there are low or lower income, free kindergarten is already a reality for them. With that said, there are currently no more than 20 kindergarten students from that complex at Martinson, the same school that would include Modera. Also, the South Shore is currently way behind towns in MA that offer free full day kindergarten. However, many if not most South Shore towns are currently in the process of looking at making full day kindergarten free for all students.
Clover, please understand that the entire curriculum has been pushed down. In my day, college level high school students took Algebra 1 in grade 9, Geometry in grade 10, Algebra 2 in grade 11 and trigonometry in grade 12. This has been pushed down considerably over the past generation to the point of Algebra 1 now being taught in grade 7. If your son was in high school just twenty years ago,he would not have even glad the opportunity to take AP Calculus because it wasn't even offered in high school. As far as MHS is concerned, my three children went through the school and on to very selective colleges and into very successful careers in law, medicine and education because of the course offerings at MHS. All three were able to enter college with considerabl AP credits. Since they graduated back in the Nineties, MHS gas expanded their AP offerings tremendously. I watch my grandkids who are in elementary school now and I am blown away but what they are expected to learn at the elementary level. As a retired elementary school principal, I have first hand knowledge of the difference full day kindergarten makes as children progress especially through the elementary grades. Academically and socially, they are much better prepared to learn and progress at a much faster rate. I would almost say that students who are in half day kindergarten programs are at a distinct disadvantage especially in the primary grades.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Mon 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Could be a stretch, but I would not rule out an increase as it could be enticing to those who want to live here whether it's an apt. or house.
If those that are considered " low income " do not have to pay for full day then where does the town get the money to cover the cost?
Honestly, there is another issue as you mention Martinson.
When Modera gets built and we may be the only town around with free full day kindergarten. Let's say Modera gets a significant amount of students that will attend Martinson. Martinson probably will not be able to handle all the kids. Could the parents here be looking at another redistricting?
The thing is those towns are looking into it.
Doesn't mean they will do it.
I guess we could be the test town for them.
As the Seahag s comment that Modera is expensive. It's expensive unless you are being helped by the state.

The other thing I have thought about is if the town has extra money it needs to spend then why not give the town employees a break on their health insurance costs?

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Mon 29, 2018 7:23 pm

Seahag wrote:
Jan Mon 29, 2018 11:05 am
Clover, you make a very good case for better education at the high school level, citing your youngest son's getting an A in Advanced Calc as a high school student, after being cast into a B level group at an earlier age and your objections to the administration at MHS at that time.
Seahag, I didn't write anything about needing better education at the high school or of an objection with MHS staff. I wrote that my son was not offered the opportunity to remain in the upper track of math after the SIXTH grade at the middle school. I objected to the FBMS staff's decision to move a B student from the high track of math, in 6th grade, into the low track of math, in 7th grade, which would have led him to the bottom two of the four high school math tracks and would have prevented him from ever having the opportunity to take honors classes, or even level 1 geometry as a freshman, at the high school. This lack of opportunity apparently affected as many as 60 other students, not just my son.
niles wrote:
Jan Mon 29, 2018 2:33 pm
As far as MHS is concerned, my three children went through the school and on to very selective colleges and into very successful careers in law, medicine and education because of the course offerings at MHS. All three were able to enter college with considerabl AP credits.
As I just explained above, I didn't bring up the upper grades or high school because of a lack of challenging courses or AP classes. My point was that there is a contradiction between what some "educators" say and what actually happens. In Marshfield we will not be on track to create an army of STEM geniuses, and we won't be "competing globally" with more educationally strict countries if we don't even let our GOOD students partake in the "good" classes. Full day kindergarten isn't going to result in what the "educators" are selling if we are continuing to hastily level students based probably on what teachers are available to teach vs. the actual potential of the students.
niles wrote:
Jan Mon 29, 2018 2:33 pm
Clover, please understand that the entire curriculum has been pushed down. In my day, college level high school students took Algebra 1 in grade 9, Geometry in grade 10, Algebra 2 in grade 11 and trigonometry in grade 12. This has been pushed down considerably over the past generation to the point of Algebra 1 now being taught in grade 7.
Niles, you must be getting up there in years because I was in middle school 40 years ago and algebra was taught there. Geometry was offered in grade 9 and calculus was offered in 12th grade. Aside from the addition of AP classes, the education my kids have received is no different from my own, and the subjects taught and when they're offered is no different today than 40 years ago. Btw, niles, I checked the 2004 4th grade MCAS results for Marshfield (when my oldest was in 4th grade) and the scores were higher then than they have been in the three most recent years that I checked (2014,2015,2016 where some kids had been to full day K.) It seems not much changes, or gets that much better. Things mostly stay the same no matter what "globally competitive" fad the local education system throws into the lower grades.

On the other hand, Wisconsin is one state that has made some sweeping changes to education recently, and they've implemented a career based approach across all grades and for all students. I haven't read a lot about it, but they seem to inspire the students to take some responsibility and a lead in where they're going, and the career focus would seem to help students who are not suited for these top tier math classes that we've been talking about. This is a type of change I was talking about in my prior post. This type of change might help raise all students up. Full day kindergarten is baby stuff compared to this kind of comprehensive change.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Tue 30, 2018 6:51 pm

To Eric, Seahag, Clover and even Joseph
It's nice to see an exchange and debate on this forum on an issue we all feel strongly about without anyone bashing anyone else. This is rather refreshing in that everyone who responded to this issue had their own opinion but yet was respectful of the opinions of others. This is what a forum such as this should be and not a forum where people insult one another or use language that is inappropriate or not easily understood (yes, I am speaking to you, Specialties) such as Beyond the South Shore.
Thanks for the civil debate on this topic.
Until later,
Niles

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Tue 30, 2018 6:53 pm

PS, Clover
Yes I am much older than you. I went to high school in the fifties and early sixties at Boston Latin School.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Jan Tue 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Clover, I hope the rest of the 60 kids affected by the choice of the FBMS administration at the time were able to get into the higher track at MHS level!
Sounds like you may be considering a run for School Committee this time around?!

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Feb Mon 12, 2018 9:00 am

Factoid to consider:

Alexander Graham Bell's assistant Thomas Watson ( remember, 'come here Watson, I need you' ) came up with the idea of Kindergarten during WW2 when a lot more labor was needed @ the Quincy ship yard...
( he owned it )

Since which time Rosy the rivit gal has come to be...

I know cuz I was one of the first Kinder Kids and it sure was a great way to break in to organized socializing...

I'll see my first girl friends from kindergarten (3) at our 60th soon, so I know that kindergarten is good... They are still nice...
(yes, I am speaking to you, Specialties)
Please don't... Go save your depleted party... ( if @ all possible )

Marx is dead, long live our Mighty King...
First it was the CHURCH, then the FAMILY, and now the NATION...

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Mon 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Eric K wrote:
Jan Mon 29, 2018 3:26 pm
Could be a stretch, but I would not rule out an increase as it could be enticing to those who want to live here whether it's an apt. or house.
If those that are considered " low income " do not have to pay for full day then where does the town get the money to cover the cost?
Honestly, there is another issue as you mention Martinson.
When Modera gets built and we may be the only town around with free full day kindergarten. Let's say Modera gets a significant amount of students that will attend Martinson. Martinson probably will not be able to handle all the kids. Could the parents here be looking at another redistricting?
The thing is those towns are looking into it.
Doesn't mean they will do it.
I guess we could be the test town for them.
As the Seahag s comment that Modera is expensive. It's expensive unless you are being helped by the state.

The other thing I have thought about is if the town has extra money it needs to spend then why not give the town employees a break on their health insurance costs?
Eric K I have to say you are paying the social impact card. First you have no understanding how 40b works. The project known as Modera of Marshfield will have at the most 270 units. Out of 270 units only 68 units will be affordable. The affordable units will be offered to people who have an income of 80% of the median household income. Which is $89,702 in Marshfield. So those people wanting to move to Modera will need an household income of $71,761.60 per year. So please get off your kick of low income.

As for the cost of health insurance per employer (town of Marshfield) and it's employees can only be changed at town meeting. If you really want help the employees of Marshfield. Then you should have presented an article for town meeting . You do know that the town is self insured?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Mon 12, 2018 6:57 pm

bobkat wrote: The affordable units will be offered to people who have an income of 80% of the median household income.
That's a bit misleading.

It's UP TO 80% of median income.

And a family or individual can supplement their rent with subsidies.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Mon 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Joseph wrote:
Feb Mon 12, 2018 6:57 pm
bobkat wrote: The affordable units will be offered to people who have an income of 80% of the median household income.
That's a bit misleading.

It's UP TO 80% of median income.

And a family or individual can supplement their rent with subsidies.
Joseph so are trying to say Modera of marshfield is going to have Section 8 . Maybe you want to get away from the airport .Here is your chance to do so.

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Feb Mon 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Ta heck with Kindergarten, bobkat is more amusing...

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Mon 12, 2018 8:47 pm

He maybe more amusing but at least I got milk and cookies I kindergarten.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Mon 12, 2018 9:14 pm

<t>Bobcat,<br/>
I have a pretty good understanding of how 40b works. I would say the Modera project gave a lot of people an education on how it works.<br/>
Whether you don't fit the criteria for median income, you do or you are going to be subsidized by the state the people that live there will have children.<br/>
Please explain how I am on a low income kick?<br/>
<br/>
The school dept. has made mention several times that there will be a decrease in student population coming into the school system in near future. You have to wonder if this is true or not.
As you mention the amount of units being built and the timing of this article coming to town meeting it would be my belief this is to bring in more students to school system.
Let's not forget that if you have a substantial increase in students in one area of town then it could lead to another redistricting of the school system. Parents were not happy last time of redistricting they certainly won't be happy the next time around either.
My belief is this is about the school budget and how to keep it propped up. Instead of taking the savings and passing it off to the resident taxpayers in a tax break.

I have thought about an article for town meeting in regards to town employer healthcare. The thing is if it passed what could be the unintended consequences?
I feel it is better left at bargaining table. If I am able to seek office in future then it would absolutely be something I would look into.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Tue 13, 2018 1:38 am

Eric K wrote:
Feb Mon 12, 2018 9:14 pm
I have thought about an article for town meeting in regards to town employer healthcare. The thing is if it passed what could be the unintended consequences?
I feel it is better left at bargaining table. If I am able to seek office in future then it would absolutely be something I would look into.
Eric K I know this topic is about full-day Kindergarten but you just made a statement "I feel it is better left at bargaining table". Could you please explain your statement.

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Feb Tue 13, 2018 5:16 am

Groovy, mr. niles... You GOT something... It was FREE, right??

Isn't it a shame that people go along with the idea that if we spend money like in Chicago and L.A. that everything will also be groovy??
Mr. wunnerful boosted the deficit X2 to 20 trillion... This is getting to be some real money... Who do we owe it to??

It's over, get used to it... Sheeple are not too bright... All real sheep do is eat and fright...

Sorry you were robbed... ( really )

Marx, alinsky, and zinn are dead along with a few around here... Long live our Mighty King...
" Ask not what your country can do for you "

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Tue 13, 2018 11:56 am

Eric, of all of the statements you have made in the past, this one about the town approving the Modera project b/c it will bring in more kids to the school system is the most absurd and ridiculous one ever.
I can't even believe that anyone would even think that way, it's so insane.
And yes, you are playing the socio-economic card here, and clearly do not want anyone who is not like you to even be able to live in the Modera apartments or go to the same school with your children. Holy moly.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Tue 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Bobcat,
I explained it already.
Please go back and re-read.
Seanag,
Go back and read my post.
I said nothing in post of which you responded.
Read slower.
But, since you did bring it up.
I do recall the school dept. making a statement that there is going to be a student decrease and the Modera project was in its infancy.
I do recall doing the show with Mr. Feeney about 2 years ago as we discussed an article in paper about the potential of a student population decrease. I did make a comment wondering if the Modera project was tied into this possible student reduction as a way to increase enrollment.
Not to say Modera came to light just for the schools, but I would say the schools were a factor in decision process.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Tue 13, 2018 11:58 pm

Eric K wrote:
Feb Tue 13, 2018 8:12 pm
Bobcat,
I explained it already.
Eric K you said about health care "I feel it is better left at bargaining table". you didn't explain it. Please who is going to bargain with who. If you don't answer that .Then I know for fact you don't know what you are talking about.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Wed 14, 2018 7:37 am

Eric K wrote:
<t>Bobcat,<br/>
I have a pretty good understanding of how 40b works. I would say the Modera project gave a lot of people an education on how it works.<br/>
Whether you don't fit the criteria for median income, you do or you are going to be subsidized by the state the people that live there will have children.<br/>
<br/>
The school dept. has made mention several times that there will be a decrease in student population coming into the school system in near future. You have to wonder if this is true or not.
As you mention the amount of units being built and the timing of this article coming to town meeting it would be my belief this is to bring in more students to school system.
Let's not forget that if you have a substantial increase in students in one area of town then it could lead to another redistricting of the school system. Parents were not happy last time of redistricting they certainly won't be happy the next time around either.
My belief is this is about the school budget and how to keep it propped up. Instead of taking the savings and passing it off to the resident taxpayers in a tax break.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Wed 14, 2018 7:41 am

Seahag wrote:
Feb Wed 14, 2018 7:37 am
Eric K wrote:
<t>Bobcat,<br/>
<br/>

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Wed 14, 2018 8:33 am

Eric, you need to take ownership of what you wrote.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Thu 15, 2018 2:22 pm

bobkat wrote:
Feb Tue 13, 2018 11:58 pm
Eric K wrote:
Feb Tue 13, 2018 8:12 pm
Bobcat,
I explained it already.
Eric K you said about health care "I feel it is better left at bargaining table". you didn't explain it. Please who is going to bargain with who. If you don't answer that .Then I know for fact you don't know what you are talking about.
Eric K it has been over 24 hours since I asked you to explain your posting. The lack of response from you shows that you throw crap against the wall and hope some of it will stick and no one will call you out. You are a mis informed nay sayer just like Joe P.

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Feb Thu 15, 2018 3:58 pm

He's on to you, Eric...

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Thu 15, 2018 4:08 pm

I gave you a response.
I don't know what else to say.
I welcome all challengers.
How am I nay sayer?
You call it crap I call it my opinion.
In the end I am usually right.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Thu 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Eric K wrote:
Feb Thu 15, 2018 4:08 pm
I gave you a response.
I don't know what else to say.
I welcome all challengers.
How am I nay sayer?
You call it crap I call it my opinion.
In the end I am usually right.
Eric K you said "I feel it is better left at bargaining table". For you to say that then you must have some idea who is at the bargaining table. Is it union people and who bargaining for non union people. Why do you think this benefit would even come to a bargaining table. Just for the record I believe you are not usually right about how a town is run. The reason I know you do not know what you are talking about. I sat at the bargaining table over 15 years representing union workers that belong to ASCME.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Thu 15, 2018 7:19 pm

They must have had suck representation then if you were a rep.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Thu 15, 2018 11:05 pm

Eric K you can say anything you want but you never answered my question. Now I know why the people in Town hall think you are an idiot.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Fri 16, 2018 10:32 am

Don't even waste your time or energy trying to get Eric to answer a question clearly. His only answer is to diffuse the question back onto you and make it your problem. Don't forget - he's always right, and if you don't believe that, just read his next to the last post. :!:

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Fri 16, 2018 3:23 pm

So, am I to assume those same people think I am idiot think that that your a genius.
Yea, I'm going to believe your statement.
Thanks Seahag for agreeing with me. It's about time you came around. You should follow seahags lead bobcat.
I already answered bobcats question. Bobcat is the one who refuses to answer mine.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Fri 16, 2018 4:50 pm

Oh man, I did not agree with you.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Fri 16, 2018 7:39 pm

Eric K wrote:
Feb Fri 16, 2018 3:23 pm
So, am I to assume those same people think I am idiot think that that your a genius.
Yea, I'm going to believe your statement.
Thanks Seahag for agreeing with me. It's about time you came around. You should follow seahags lead bobcat.
I already answered bobcats question. Bobcat is the one who refuses to answer mine.
Eric K. if you think you are right all the time. My suggestion to you is run for a town office. The towns people will then tell you what they think of you. Maybe you could get the same results as Joe P. I din't ask you a question ,I asked you to explain your statement. You haven't and I know you will never.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Sat 17, 2018 8:01 am

Hopefully some day I will be able to run for office.
I did answer your question.
I will ask a question to it.
If your referring to health care why would it not be a bargaining subject?
You are the one who refuses to answer my question.
Why am I a nay sayer?

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Sat 17, 2018 9:36 am

Eric K wrote:
Feb Sat 17, 2018 8:01 am

Eric K because it is not. There are two things that unions can not do legally in Massachusetts. Strike and bargain for health insurance. The % of what employees pay union and non union is left up to the legislature of the town .So in Marshfield it is the town meeting.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Sat 17, 2018 9:50 am

Eric K wrote:
Eric K so what is stopping you now from running for office.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Sat 17, 2018 10:07 am

:oops: :((
Eric K wrote:
I did answer your question.
I will ask a question to it.
You are the one who refuses to answer my question.
Why am I a nay sayer?
[/quote
Pout. Pout.
Why do you always flip the question back to the questioner?

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Sat 17, 2018 1:49 pm

You mean municipal/state unions can not strike.
Not in private sector.
There is a 30 day window to bargain before municipality can unilaterally impose it's plan if no agreement is reached.
I do remember this issue when it made the news.

This was a pro business backed Bill that the democrats backed.
Much like the charter change that is being proposed in town.

This does not prevent the unions from going to town meeting and asking for a change in what towns pay and what employees pay.
Once again, this is something that the unions and it's members have to take up with town. Like I said, if I proposed something for town meeting there may be unintended consequences that the employees will have to face and not myself.
Nothing wrong with starting small going from 50% town picks up to 55%.

Here's a clip from Deleo spokesperson at time this was implemented.

This change simply ensures that during these difficult fiscal times cities and towns don’t have to pay for more generous benefits than the state provides to its employees.

Are the towns facing a difficult time now?
It certainly does not appear to be that way esp. with the salary a certain town administrator is currently making.
Maybe the unions should revisit this again at state level.

What's preventing me from running for office is a power so great that most men have one.
A WIFE!

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Eric K wrote:
Feb Sat 17, 2018 1:49 pm
You mean municipal/state unions can not strike.
yes

Eric K wrote:
There is a 30 day window to bargain before municipality can unilaterally impose it's plan if no agreement is reached.
before you get to this point .The Union would seek arbitration. But only some not all have binding arbitration.

Eric K wrote:
This does not prevent the unions from going to town meeting and asking for a change in what towns pay and what employees pay.
Once again, this is something that the unions and it's members have to take up with town. Like I said, if I proposed something for town meeting there may be unintended consequences that the employees will have to face and not myself.
Nothing wrong with starting small going from 50% town picks up to 55%.
It wouldn't matter who brought it to town meeting. It would have to be first put on the warrant and it would have to be for all employees not just the unions. I don't know what unintended consequences you are speaking about . I believe the split should be more like 70% town to 30% employees. The town increases it's tax base by 2 1/2% every year. That is the law.

Eric K wrote:
What's preventing me from running for office is a power so great that most men have one.
A WIFE!
That I understand .

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Sun 18, 2018 7:39 pm

70/30 in think is good. 80/20 would be better.
I put a small increase ( 55% town coverage) out there to start as going to what you proposed could raise a red flag with people. Nothing wrong with baby steps.
The unintended consequences could be something the town may try to force upon union members in order to make up expense increase. It's just something I would be wary of. That's why I would rather have the unions and it's members take up issue.
It's nice to have a common concern and we are not throwing rocks at one another.
That will probably change sometime down the road on another or current issue.
If the wife gives me a thumbs up in the future and if the healthcare issue has not been addressed I will keep you in mind.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Mon 19, 2018 9:10 am

Really Eric???!!!