Sochi 2014

Sox, Pats, B's, Celts, Revs, Rams, etc...
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Sochi 2014

Post by Carson » Feb Thu 13, 2014 11:17 am

What are you watching?
Saturday USA mens hockey vs Russia!Prelim round.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/team-usa-d ... 01901.html

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Re: Sochi 2014

Post by Carson » Feb Thu 13, 2014 11:21 am

dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Feb Tue 18, 2014 7:22 pm

Let's go UMass (Jonathan Quick).
Knowledge is good - Emil Faber

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Tue 18, 2014 10:12 pm

I propose that Snow Shoveling be the next new Winter Olympics event.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Wed 19, 2014 9:36 am

Joseph wrote:I propose that Snow Shoveling be the next new Winter Olympics event.
Pretty sure anyone from MA would win gold!

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Wed 19, 2014 10:03 am

Watch out for Belarus women carrying guns!!Darya Domracheva,doesn't miss! :mrgreen:

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Wed 19, 2014 10:09 am

SOCHI, Russia (AP) — Finland eliminated Russia from the Olympic men’s hockey tournament with a 3-1 victory Wednesday, putting a stunning end to the Russians’ enormous expectations at home.

Teemu Selanne scored an early goal and Tuukka Rask made 37 saves as Finland crushed the Russians’ dreams of winning hockey gold in front of their own fans. Russian teams have won eight gold medals in hockey, but none in the last 22 years.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Wed 19, 2014 6:57 pm

SOCHI, Russia (AP) — The United States’ hockey team is getting exactly what it wanted. Another shot at Canada.

Dustin Brown banged in a go-ahead goal late in the first period and the Americans went on to dominate the Czech Republic 5-2 Wednesday to earn a spot in the semifinals for the third time in four Olympics.

The U.S. went on to play in the gold-medal game in 2010 and 2002 and lost each time to the Canadians.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Feb Thu 20, 2014 8:22 am

Carson wrote:SOCHI, Russia (AP) — The United States’ hockey team is getting exactly what it wanted. Another shot at Canada.

Dustin Brown banged in a go-ahead goal late in the first period and the Americans went on to dominate the Czech Republic 5-2 Wednesday to earn a spot in the semifinals for the third time in four Olympics.

The U.S. went on to play in the gold-medal game in 2010 and 2002 and lost each time to the Canadians.
It was a good game by the Americans overall. They did get a little sloppy at times and had to rely on Quick to pick up the slack. Overall their team speed is what is setting them apart so far at this olympics.

As for the Canadians, their offensive players have been a huge disappointment so far at these games and they have had to be bailed out offensively by the defense. The game against Latvia is deceiving as they took a ton of shots, they did not make the goalie or the defense as a whole work that hard.
America Built by Heroes, Ruined by Liberals

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Thu 20, 2014 9:38 am

I would give credit to Latvia as they played a good game and are much improved since last Olympics.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Thu 20, 2014 11:49 am

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Thu 20, 2014 11:53 am

It’s all about US-Canada hockey the next two days. The men will square off Friday at noon in the semifinal game, a rematch of 2010’s epic gold medal showdown in Vancouver. Today,the women face off for the second time in two weeks in the gold medal game (Noon, NBC).

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Feb Thu 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Carson wrote:I would give credit to Latvia as they played a good game and are much improved since last Olympics.
Latvia didn't do much but drop all 5 guys down low in front of the goalie (which is a style played in some European leagues) they did not test the Canadians at all.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Thu 20, 2014 6:46 pm

Great womens game today.Too bad they didn't win!Should have had the gold!I don't know how they lost with a two goal lead in such short amount of time left in the game!Give credit to the Canadians who hung in there until the last seconds!

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Fri 21, 2014 7:52 am

Carson wrote:Watch out for Belarus women carrying guns!!Darya Domracheva,doesn't miss! :mrgreen:

BANG!

Gotcha!

The next 'Bond girl.'

I like this pic...

...better than this pic:

Last edited by Joseph on Feb Fri 21, 2014 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Fri 21, 2014 8:00 am

I don't think that the Russian, Sotnikova deserved the Gold in Womens' Skating.
Yuna Queen from South Korea should have won.

Perhaps it was to soothe the pain of the home town and host country after the loss at Mens' Hockey.

Would have been interesting to see the scores given by the individual judges and the countries they are from.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Feb Sat 22, 2014 9:00 am

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Feb Sat 22, 2014 9:12 am

It is time to consider removing figure skating from the olympics anyway. Nobody pays attention to it outside of the olympics and every olympics it suffers through huge judging scandals. You know you are in trouble as a sport when you start to make pro wrestling look legit.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 11:01 am

lost cause wrote:It is time to consider removing figure skating from the olympics anyway. Nobody pays attention to it outside of the olympics and every olympics it suffers through huge judging scandals. You know you are in trouble as a sport when you start to make pro wrestling look legit.
Figure skating has been in the Olympics since 1924.Just because you don't follow a certain sport doesn't mean it should be eliminated.With the exception of hockey,who follows bobsledding,skeleton,biathalon,curling,snowboarding,ski jumping,etc?I don't follow any of the winter sports but I still like to watch them.Many of them I find just odd but, they are pretty exciting.Who the hell would go down an ice track going 80mph in there right mind?Or jump with ski's on, off a ramp stories high? :shock:

What needs to change in figure skating is the judging.With all the technology we have now,they could review tape of each skater over and over,and then later give results instead of right after the skate.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 11:14 am

At 18, Mikaela Shiffrin is the youngest Olympic slalom champion of all time. It could be her youth, it could be her technique, or it could just be that she has a natural talent for shredding slalom like no one else in history. She is only the fourth US woman to strike gold in the Olympic slalom, and the last time was in 1972, when Barbara Cochran won in Sapporo, Japan.e!

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 11:21 am

Canada beats US 1-0 to reach gold-medal game.US can't score in a game and a half!!Choking bad!Tuuka stoning them for the bronze.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Feb Sat 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Carson wrote:
lost cause wrote:It is time to consider removing figure skating from the olympics anyway. Nobody pays attention to it outside of the olympics and every olympics it suffers through huge judging scandals. You know you are in trouble as a sport when you start to make pro wrestling look legit.
Figure skating has been in the Olympics since 1924.Just because you don't follow a certain sport doesn't mean it should be eliminated.With the exception of hockey,who follows bobsledding,skeleton,biathalon,curling,snowboarding,ski jumping,etc?I don't follow any of the winter sports but I still like to watch them.Many of them I find just odd but, they are pretty exciting.Who the hell would go down an ice track going 80mph in there right mind?Or jump with ski's on, off a ramp stories high? :shock:

What needs to change in figure skating is the judging.With all the technology we have now,they could review tape of each skater over and over,and then later give results instead of right after the skate.
I am not advocating removing a sport because I don't follow it, I am advocating removing it because it has shown it is clearly corrupt.

As for the other sports, I love watching curling (you generally have to follow it on the net) as for some of the other sports they are on t.v. you just have to watch other channels other then ESPN. The Universal Sports Network covers most of these sports.

And most of the sports you mentioned are huge in Europe.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 12:56 pm

This is what you said:
"consider removing figure skating from the olympics anyway. Nobody pays attention to it"

Sorry, if I misunderstood but, it sounded to me like you wanted to remove it from the Olympics because nobody pays attention to it?Not because of the judging corruption.

Like many of the sports in the winter Olympics,nobody really follows or pays attention to them in this country until the Olympics.But most love to watch them anyways as they are pretty exciting to see.I also love to watch the curling.I would actually love to try it but without the sweeping.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Feb Sat 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Carson wrote:This is what you said:
"consider removing figure skating from the olympics anyway. Nobody pays attention to it"

Sorry, if I misunderstood but, it sounded to me like you wanted to remove it from the Olympics because nobody pays attention to it?Not because of the judging corruption.

Like many of the sports in the winter Olympics,nobody really follows or pays attention to them in this country until the Olympics.But most love to watch them anyways as they are pretty exciting to see.I also love to watch the curling.I would actually love to try it but without the sweeping.
Maybe if you had read the entire second sentence you would have seen that:
It is time to consider removing figure skating from the olympics anyway. Nobody pays attention to it outside of the olympics and every olympics it suffers through huge judging scandals.
As for curling, I believe there is a curling club on the cape.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 5:51 pm

If your trying to make the point the sport is "clearly corrupt",then don't mention that "nobody pays attention to it" in the same sentence.That is irrelevant.

The problem with the sport is that it is too subjective in it's scoring.I think they had this same problem with gymnastics as well until they changed the way they score points for each move done correctly.

At any rate,you won't see figure skating removed from the Olympics ever.They will just have to come up with a better way to judge it.Figure skating is generally the marquee event of a Winter Olympics.Many statistics have it ranked number two behind snowboarding.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Take this quiz!I ended up with luge/bobsledding!!! 8)

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_spor ... lity_quiz/

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Joseph wrote:
Carson wrote:Watch out for Belarus women carrying guns!!Darya Domracheva,doesn't miss! :mrgreen:

BANG!

Gotcha!

The next 'Bond girl.'

I like this pic...

Too bad women can't have freedom of expression threw song like Pussy Riot.Putin will have them in Siberian gulags!!!

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Feb Tue 25, 2014 9:13 am

Carson wrote:If your trying to make the point the sport is "clearly corrupt",then don't mention that "nobody pays attention to it" in the same sentence.That is irrelevant.

The problem with the sport is that it is too subjective in it's scoring.I think they had this same problem with gymnastics as well until they changed the way they score points for each move done correctly.

At any rate,you won't see figure skating removed from the Olympics ever.They will just have to come up with a better way to judge it.Figure skating is generally the marquee event of a Winter Olympics.Many statistics have it ranked number two behind snowboarding.
Nobody pays attention to it, which is one of the reasons that the corruption is allowed to continue. I know that the sport will not be removed, however the IOC has threatened sports in the past and it is time to do it here. This is one of your biggest draws (viewers/ticket sales) it is time to demand that they clean up there act.

The ISU isn't going to do anything, unless the weight of the IOC comes down on them.