Olympics Coverage

Sox, Pats, B's, Celts, Revs, Rams, etc...
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Patricia J Reilly
Transient
Transient

Olympics Coverage

Post by Patricia J Reilly » Aug Tue 12, 2008 9:33 pm

We are pretty disgusted with the Olympic coverage on NBC. Does anyone know of an online alternative - a webcast alternative perhaps - for the Olympics? I couldn't find one. Thanks.
Go Bruins!

cmhop
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Location: I am in Penalty Box, I feel shame. Orwell would be proud.

Re: Olympics Coverage

Post by cmhop » Aug Tue 12, 2008 10:17 pm

There is 24 hour coverage and then some.

Go to the alternative broadcast on MSBC, CNBC, USA and BRAVO.
EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO BE STUPID!! BUT THERE ARE SOME... THAT DEFINITELY ABUSE IT!!

Patricia J Reilly
Transient
Transient

Post by Patricia J Reilly » Aug Tue 12, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks. We found it on USA but didn't know about the others and will give them a try. We don't watch tv much, so I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
Go Bruins!

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
facebook ID: phil.shannon

Post by Phil » Aug Wed 13, 2008 6:45 am

Last night I sat through a commercial break, a piece on panda bears, then another commercial break. Are Panda Bears allowed in the Olympics now? No, that belongs on 60 minutes or some other show, they should just focus on the sports.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

pat
Founder
Founder

Post by pat » Aug Wed 13, 2008 8:20 am

I missed the opening ceremonies, but when I turned on the tv the following morning, they were rebroadcasting it. I tuned in just before they lit the flame. It looked pretty cool and I decided that I'd like to see the whole thing.

What really annoyed me was the typical way that the announcers had to talk constantly, regardless of what was going on. "Wow, that's really amazing." "The Chinese have really raised the bar..." "That's an incredible view of..." "Can you believe that...", etc., etc., etc...

I managed to find a copy of the opening ceremonies on the net and downloaded it. It turned out to be the feed from an Australian network. What a difference! The announcers only spoke when there was actually some important information we needed, such as who a flag bearer was or what speaker was coming to the podium, etc. During the dramatic events, they just let you watch it and listen to the music uninterrupted. Oh yeah, and they didn't feel a need to insert a commercial in the middle of the fireworks display.

Pavel Checkov
Resident
Resident

Post by Pavel Checkov » Aug Wed 13, 2008 9:46 am

The number of commercials and fluff is getting crazy.

If you go to http://www.nbcolympics.com you can enter your zip and cable provider and get a complete schedule of all the coverage from the variety of networks.

There is also a huge amount of video there that you can watch on demand.

I don't see the opening ceremony though... It was a bit long and drawn out. I feel asleep halfway through... I believe I Tivoed the end.

pat
Founder
Founder

Post by pat » Aug Wed 13, 2008 11:34 am

Every Olympics, the network makes a big deal about how much coverage they're providing this time. 1000 hours in 2004, 3000 hours in 2008! But I'll bet they're not providing any more actual sports coverage than they did 20 years ago. They just keep quadrupling the hype, the interviews and the fluff. Just as an experiment, they should try eliminating all these "extras" and show some of the unusual events. You know - those events where (GASP!) Americans aren't expected to do well.

sportnut
Transient
Transient

Post by sportnut » Aug Thu 14, 2008 8:28 am

Or how about the ones the Americans do well in- the women fencers swept the podium, and were covered for 53 seconds.
Coastal Screen Printing
There is no job too big or too small

dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Aug Thu 14, 2008 11:10 am

I haven't watched a minute of coverage. I couldn't be more disinterested.
Knowledge is good - Emil Faber

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Aug Sat 16, 2008 11:53 am

pat wrote:Every Olympics, the network makes a big deal about how much coverage they're providing this time. 1000 hours in 2004, 3000 hours in 2008! But I'll bet they're not providing any more actual sports coverage than they did 20 years ago. They just keep quadrupling the hype, the interviews and the fluff. Just as an experiment, they should try eliminating all these "extras" and show some of the unusual events. You know - those events where (GASP!) Americans aren't expected to do well.
They are showing quite a bit of it live, on the NBC networks, just with the 12 hour difference you have to want to be up at 2 am to watch it, sadly I must confess that I have been. It has made staying awake a work a little difficult.
America Built by Heroes, Ruined by Liberals

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Earl Jr
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Earl Jr » Aug Sun 17, 2008 3:05 am

I'm no fan of NBC or PMSNBC but these Olympics have been awesome! Watching history tonight was incredible! Seeing Michael Phelps win his 8th Gold medal instead of the 2 pinheads running for POTUS! I don't know what the hell is wrong with you guys but.......oh yeah......that great ole August tradition,the Marshfield Fair trumps American pride every time.......... :roll:

God Bless Our Troops

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sun 17, 2008 10:30 am

I've been watching the Olympics every night but just haven't posted on it.I really enjoyed watching the swimming.All of it is pretty good coverage.I thought the Chinese gymnastics team should have their gold medal taken away as none of those girls looked 16 yrs old!!!