six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Sox, Pats, B's, Celts, Revs, Rams, etc...
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Posts: 6253
Joined: Mar Mon 26, 2007 9:55 am

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by lost cause » Aug Wed 27, 2008 2:10 pm

mommee5 wrote:
lost cause wrote:I don't see an issue with the cartoons at all. You stated that the CORI laws were violated but have not explained it would be nice if you would.
You think its ok for cartoons to talk about drinking, steroids, guns for 13-17 year olds? You have your right to your opinion. Apparently the coach is appalled and agrees that they are inappropriate. Anyone that works or volunteers with children in mass need to be coried. Can't really share to many details but its proof that certain people don't play by the rules and don't have the best interest of the children at heart.
Since those types of cartoons are in the newspapers, we should probably ban them as well. Steroids are a huge part of athletics now a days (not using them as much as education about them) and the alcohol cartoon was not promoting it, it told you not to waste it.
America Built by Heroes, Ruined by Liberals

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Wed 27, 2008 2:12 pm

lost cause wrote:
mommee5 wrote:
lost cause wrote:I don't see an issue with the cartoons at all. You stated that the CORI laws were violated but have not explained it would be nice if you would.
You think its ok for cartoons to talk about drinking, steroids, guns for 13-17 year olds? You have your right to your opinion. Apparently the coach is appalled and agrees that they are inappropriate. Anyone that works or volunteers with children in mass need to be coried. Can't really share to many details but its proof that certain people don't play by the rules and don't have the best interest of the children at heart.
Since those types of cartoons are in the newspapers, we should probably ban them as well. Steroids are a huge part of athletics now a days (not using them as much as education about them) and the alcohol cartoon was not promoting it, it told you not to waste it.
Agree to disagree the cartoons are really small in the entire scheme of things. Do you think not doing cories is ok too?
Skys the limit!!

Pavel Checkov
Resident
Resident
Posts: 2005
Joined: Aug Tue 30, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: USS Enterprise, 1701
Contact:

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Pavel Checkov » Aug Wed 27, 2008 2:41 pm

The cartoon was a syndicated website that pops up a random cartoon. I'm sure originally someone thought it was cute/funny at first glance, not relaizing the content of the whole line up of cartoons.

Obviously, the content is not appropriate for a youth centered web site and should be removed.

As far as CORI - the question is... is this an intentional ignorance of completing the forms, or an oversight. As someone who has worked with youths, I have filled out several CORI forms. But, on other occasions, I was not asked to do so - maybe because the person didn't realize they should ask me, thought I was, or just didn't care.

That said, I wouldn't really put it on the coach, as much as the person she reports to (Athletic Director?) who should be ensuring there is compliance.

So, have you, as a parent mentioned to the coach,the people who aren't CORI'd, or the AD that they should fill out those forms?

Did the coach say they don't need to do CORI? Did the "helpers" refuse to fill out the CORI form?

Or, has no one really gotten around to it?

If that is the case, then again, mention to the coach, or a higher up that there are people who need to be CORI'd.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Posts: 6253
Joined: Mar Mon 26, 2007 9:55 am

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by lost cause » Aug Wed 27, 2008 3:26 pm

Of course CORI's should be completed and whether or not that person gets hired or is voluntering should be based on the town's guidelines for hiring people with criminal records.

But that is not the coaches responsibility that is the schools and the towns to make sure they are following all state and federal guidelines regarding the ability of people to work with in a school setting.
America Built by Heroes, Ruined by Liberals

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Wed 27, 2008 5:48 pm

lost cause wrote:
But that is not the coaches responsibility that is the schools and the towns to make sure they are following all state and federal guidelines regarding the ability of people to work with in a school setting.
I agree but if the coach has been warned to play by ALL the rules and then they do something behind the schools back, it then would be the coaches responsiblity. It is the responsibility of the school to make sure that the coach, teacher always has the best interest of the students safety, right? For instance if a teacher does something wrong, its not the principals fault.
Skys the limit!!

vegasmom333
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug Sun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by vegasmom333 » Aug Thu 28, 2008 9:52 am

mommee5 wrote:[/qoute]It is also my understanding that when new coach took over that it was made clear that tumbling would be needed. I know of some girls who took this very seriously and on top of everything else they were doing they made time for tumbling classes. Sure there are still some girls on varsity that do not have tumbling and maybe I don't necessarily agree with that but you can't take away from those girls that they just must be really great overall cheerleaders that did not need those extra points while other cheerleaders are good cheerleaders but need those extra tumbling points to get on varsity versus jv. Did this particular cheerleader you seem to be talking about take the necessity of tumbling seriously or did she not worry about it until about 2 - 3 weeks before tryouts like quite a few of them did?
New coach told one girl and her mother if she got tumbling down she would definatley be on Varsity. Parent spent lots of $$$ could tumble perfect, then cut. Its about her favorites. Lots of girls are quitting and many just didn't tryout because of the improper treatment. Tryout handout sheet does not say tumbling is required because if it did some of her favorites wouldn't have made it. :wink:[/quote]


Well if the girl you speak of who was told she would make it if she got tumbling down and then still didn't manage to make it , it sounds like it would have been just as much of a surprise to the coach that the judges scoring didn't work out for her . Tumbling may not yet be required but it is becoming increasingly more necessary in order to compete against any other teams in competitions. And you never actually answered my question about the orginal girl you spoke of and whether or not she took the tumbling seriously or not. More and more girls are giving everything they have to learn it which makes the tryouts more and more competitive. So now let me pose this question to you......... If the girl in question was on varsity for two seasons, was she on varsity as a freshman or sophmore (underclassman) because if she was, she was probably good enough at that time before so many girls learned tumbling that she took a spot from a junior or senior (upperclassman). If this was the case, you sure didn't seem to have a problem with it at that time, only now that it is affecting her?????

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Thu 28, 2008 10:58 am

vegasmom333 wrote:
mommee5 wrote:[/qoute]It is also my understanding that when new coach took over that it was made clear that tumbling would be needed. I know of some girls who took this very seriously and on top of everything else they were doing they made time for tumbling classes. Sure there are still some girls on varsity that do not have tumbling and maybe I don't necessarily agree with that but you can't take away from those girls that they just must be really great overall cheerleaders that did not need those extra points while other cheerleaders are good cheerleaders but need those extra tumbling points to get on varsity versus jv. Did this particular cheerleader you seem to be talking about take the necessity of tumbling seriously or did she not worry about it until about 2 - 3 weeks before tryouts like quite a few of them did?
New coach told one girl and her mother if she got tumbling down she would definatley be on Varsity. Parent spent lots of $$$ could tumble perfect, then cut. Its about her favorites. Lots of girls are quitting and many just didn't tryout because of the improper treatment. Tryout handout sheet does not say tumbling is required because if it did some of her favorites wouldn't have made it. :wink:

Well if the girl you speak of who was told she would make it if she got tumbling down and then still didn't manage to make it , it sounds like it would have been just as much of a surprise to the coach that the judges scoring didn't work out for her . Tumbling may not yet be required but it is becoming increasingly more necessary in order to compete against any other teams in competitions. And you never actually answered my question about the orginal girl you spoke of and whether or not she took the tumbling seriously or not. More and more girls are giving everything they have to learn it which makes the tryouts more and more competitive. So now let me pose this question to you......... If the girl in question was on varsity for two seasons, was she on varsity as a freshman or sophmore (underclassman) because if she was, she was probably good enough at that time before so many girls learned tumbling that she took a spot from a junior or senior (upperclassman). If this was the case, you sure didn't seem to have a problem with it at that time, only now that it is affecting her?????[/quote]The coach was looking to fill places on the winter sport no one was cut because of her. Taking advice of pevel checkov....This is not going to accomplish what needs to be accomplished. Not worried the truch always comes out.
Skys the limit!!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Thu 28, 2008 11:35 am

The coach was looking to fill places on the winter sport no one was cut because of her. Taking advice of pevel checkov....This is not going to accomplish what needs to be accomplished. Not worried the truth always comes out.
333 :twisted:
Last edited by mommee5 on Aug Thu 28, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skys the limit!!

vegasmom333
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug Sun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by vegasmom333 » Aug Thu 28, 2008 1:33 pm

mommee5 wrote:The coach was looking to fill places on the winter sport no one was cut because of her. Taking advice of pevel checkov....This is not going to accomplish what needs to be accomplished. Not worried the truth always comes out.
333= the devil :twisted:

ok well if we are going to be completely honest lets tell it like it is.....coach not "looking to fill places on winter season" as you may have accidentally worded it...actual tryouts were held as they are for every season and if we are going to be truly honest ... it is known that some of the outstanding cheerleaders who always make it on the fall season do not try out for the winter season because they participate in other sports thus leaving the door open for a few more cheerleaders who teeter on the edge between making varsity or jv. While it is truly devasting to those girls who don't make it regardless of grade and it is tough as a parent to live with the fact that our child was just not good enough we can either move forward and let it motivate us to do more or just sit back and not accept the facts.

lets also think about this......while cheerleading is probably the only sport that does not automatically take upperclassmen on the team (because of limit of number of girls on mat come competition) is it really as good as it seems to be for the other sports that do automatically take upperclassmen? I was at every football game last year and know of a few upperclassman that while they participated for hours in all practices were lucky if they saw a total of 2 minutes time out on the field for the entire season. Thats probably not all that fair either but it was always the same kids who were sent out on the field and there was a few who were not upperclassmen. Also I am aware of kids who while they automatically made the varsity lacrosse team, they knew they were not the best players on varsity and would probably not receive that much field time so they made the decision for themselves to play on the jv squad just so they could get more field time. I guess my point is these things only seem to upset us to an extreme level when our child is the one affected

Oh and by the way, I thought 666=devil, maybe 333=devil to you just because I ask valid questions and don't necessarily always agree with you, but don't want to leave on such a negative note, I hope you do go through the proper channels and get the answers you are looking for whether or not they work out in your favor.

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Thu 28, 2008 2:54 pm

blah blah blah blah blah. Do you think it is appropriate for a coach to make prank phone calls with other cheerleaders to one of the cheerleaders that was not the coaches favorite?? The points that myself and others have made is about proper role models, following rules, and always keeping the best interest of the child first. Oh and by the way there are way to many children that this coach has affected in a negative way. Truth is......... honesty is always the best policy. # :twisted: 333 stand for half truths.....half of 666.
Skys the limit!!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Fri 29, 2008 6:10 am

Since we are all being honest here its only been since the new coach has become head coach there has been underclassman on Varsity. Tumbling will be a requirement in 2010 when all her favorites that don't tumble have graduated...so it will be fair then. Dream team consist of 7 jrs/srs and 17 sophmores & freshman. So being the head of MYC and MHS cheerleading is a conflict. Hmmm sounds like a new thread to me. :?

Vegasmom333 can you answer the question about why the coach has to bring in a choreographer for $$$ why can't the coach teach it isn't that her job? Also, curious how much does a choreographer charge? Valid question?
Skys the limit!!

CAMERY
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 29
Joined: Aug Sun 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by CAMERY » Aug Fri 29, 2008 7:41 am

as I said before : you can not trust Head Coach I think it is valid to question what things cost.
Coach should not ask cheerleaders for $$$ without parent consent and a form from the school . which she has done in the past.

and yes coach should be able to choreograph routine ,isn't that what they spend all that $$$$ to learn at camp? Added cost to cheer would raise questions to me.

oh by the way when it came time to park cars for fair why was the squad broken up by classes and not by JV or Varsity? Why did freshmen have there own seperate time? why did they not park cars with varsity?

vegasmom333
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug Sun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by vegasmom333 » Aug Fri 29, 2008 2:13 pm

mommee5 wrote:Since we are all being honest here its only been since the new coach has become head coach there has been underclassman on Varsity. Tumbling will be a requirement in 2010 when all her favorites that don't tumble have graduated...so it will be fair then. Dream team consist of 7 jrs/srs and 17 sophmores & freshman. So being the head of MYC and MHS cheerleading is a conflict. Hmmm sounds like a new thread to me. :?

Vegasmom333 can you answer the question about why the coach has to bring in a choreographer for $$$ why can't the coach teach it isn't that her job? Also, curious how much does a choreographer charge? Valid question?

All very valid questions that I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability. First question was underclassmen only on varsity when new coach took over. It is my understanding that underclassmen were always able to tryout but were unaware they could do so. Apparently there was a misunderstanding of facts that before new coach took over if you tried out for varsity and did not make it you weren't even able to be on jv because that is not what you tried out for, but this was incorrect. (maybe upperclassmen at that time started this rumor and never corrected because they wanted to keep their spots????? don't really know the answer to that) so underclassmen stuck to trying out for jv. When new coach took over she took best scoring cheerleaders regardless of grades, highest scoreing to varsity remainder to jv.

Don't really know what to say about what year it will be required to have tumbling... its pretty much moving that way very quickly now. As for the favorites thing I am well aware of these feelings but don't feel new coach changes scoring or anything like that for them to make the squad they just do seem to get away with more goofing off than others sometimes?? Thats I guess is just my personal opinion and not a fact.

As far as the whole dream team goes, not really sure who started all that but I think it was more the kids that got a kick out of referring to themselves as that...got the t-shirts .....whatever...won't pretend to know actual facts on that point.

About the MYC and MHS being a conflict of interest... I guess I just disagree. I would have to say at least 95 percent of cheerleaders on varsity have come from MYC if not more but that to me just makes sense. Coach has had current underclassmen but has also had current upperclassmen and girls that have graduated two years ago. I think she is trying to pull herself away from MYC little by little to concentrate more on her job at MHS but to my knowledge no one will step up and put themselves in the ring for MYC president up to this point.

Another very valid question about the choreographer and the additional money....there is no doubt, cheerleading is not cheap! Anyone with a cheerleader daughter could tell you that cheerleading is no longer about the rah rah on the sidelines at a football game. Cheerleading competitions get more and more intense with the stunting, level of dance, and tumbling required to even have a chance of placing 1st ,2nd, or 3rd in a competition, which is naturally what the girls are striving for( and I might add are accomplishing these days compared to two years ago). It is common practice for high schools to bring in cheerleading choreographers to choreograph an entire routine for competition. Cost is approx. $100 per girl. Coaches I guess are trying to keep up with the times and professional choreographer help them to do so. Coach can then take routine given and tweak to what works for her and girls during practices up until competition. Coach will perfect cheers, dances and stunting until it all works.

User avatar
Prov12
Resident
Resident
Posts: 1017
Joined: Dec Fri 17, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Witness Protection Program

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Prov12 » Aug Fri 29, 2008 9:36 pm

You should not only submit a CORI you should submit a SORI. CORI only picks up criminal acts in MASS and not other states. SORI picks of Sexual criminal acts in all states.

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Aug Fri 29, 2008 10:31 pm

Vegasmom333 wrote:As for the favorites thing I am well aware of these feelings but don't feel new coach changes scoring or anything like that for them to make the squad they just do seem to get away with more goofing off than others sometimes??


Oops!!!!! what a slip, so there are favorites......interesting, Did you mean My Favorites?????

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Aug Fri 29, 2008 10:40 pm

vegasmom333 wrote:
mommee5 wrote:



Don't really know what to say about what year it will be required to have tumbling... its pretty much moving that way very quickly now. As for the favorites thing I am well aware of these feelings but don't feel new coach changes scoring or anything like that for them to make the squad they just do seem to get away with more goofing off than others sometimes??

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Fri 29, 2008 11:04 pm

cooper wrote:
vegasmom333 wrote:
mommee5 wrote:


As for the favorites thing I am well aware of these feelings but don't feel new coach changes scoring or anything like that for them to make the squad they just do seem to get away with more goofing off than others sometimes??
cooper.....did anyone say they thought the new coach changed the scores for her favorites????
Skys the limit!!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 7:15 am

Prov12 wrote:You should not only submit a CORI you should submit a SORI. CORI only picks up criminal acts in MASS and not other states. SORI picks of Sexual criminal acts in all states.
Is sori something that is a requirement? Do you know anyone that uses them?
Skys the limit!!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 7:48 am

vaegas333 you wrote "If the girl in question was on varsity for two seasons, was she on varsity as a freshman or sophmore (underclassman) because if she was, she was probably good enough at that time before so many girls learned tumbling that she took a spot from a junior or senior (upperclassman). If this was the case, you sure didn't seem to have a problem with it at that time, only now that it is affecting her?????"

Be honest that winter there was no tryouts, right.....maybe last year but not the year before. Everybody knows it.
Skys the limit!!

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Aug Sat 30, 2008 8:41 am

Parents have been aware of favoritism for years in youth now the high school. Again, the tactics used are disgusting. No matter what the program needs to be monitored to protect the kids. Everyone wants to teach kids integrity and its all taught by example. I really feel bad for the kids. The adults are their teachers and cheer leading is an extensions of the class room. Hope the administration is able to resolve this for the goodness of our community.

vegasmom333
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug Sun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by vegasmom333 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 9:41 am

cooper wrote:Vegasmom333 wrote:As for the favorites thing I am well aware of these feelings but don't feel new coach changes scoring or anything like that for them to make the squad they just do seem to get away with more goofing off than others sometimes??


Oops!!!!! what a slip, so there are favorites......interesting, Did you mean My Favorites?????

Didn't find it to be such a slip, just trying to be honest and do know about those feelings....and no I definitely did not mean MY Favorites...I am not new coach defending herself if that is what was implied by that...I just acknowledged that I knew those feelings existed and for some I guess still do.

vegasmom333
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug Sun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by vegasmom333 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 9:51 am

In response to Mommee5 asking Cooper if anyone said they thought coach changed scores for her favorites, I thought I did see that somewhere...if not it was heavily implied????

vegasmom333
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 16
Joined: Aug Sun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by vegasmom333 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 9:55 am

mommee5 wrote:vaegas333 you wrote "If the girl in question was on varsity for two seasons, was she on varsity as a freshman or sophmore (underclassman) because if she was, she was probably good enough at that time before so many girls learned tumbling that she took a spot from a junior or senior (upperclassman). If this was the case, you sure didn't seem to have a problem with it at that time, only now that it is affecting her?????"

Be honest that winter there was no tryouts, right.....maybe last year but not the year before. Everybody knows it.

Sorry honestly not aware of that, I was under the impression that there were tryouts each season. Cannot remember a season when there was not.

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 10:49 am

Vegasmom333....you wrote"As for the favorites thing .....anything like that for them to make the squad they just do seem to get away with more goofing off than others sometimes??

This statement admits there are favorites...."for them to make the squad."...."they just seem to get away with more goofing off then others" Others meaning the not favorite kids. No matter who you are you are admitting she has favorites.
Skys the limit!!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 11:06 am

vegasmom333 wrote:In response to Mommee5 asking Cooper if anyone said they thought coach changed scores for her favorites, I thought I did see that somewhere...if not it was heavily implied????
Just spoke about the facts....how jv coaches scores were not average like they were suppose to and how score sheets should be entered with some type of security. If the head coach were smart she would protect herself so that these suspicions would'nt happen. There are so many people that think the try-outs were fixed and now the favoritism is proven...You stress tumbling blah blah blah yet many girls that made team who had been practicig tumbling had bad performances in there try out and didn't throw any tumbling yet they made the team against girls that had great performances. So we again see that favortism is how the team was picked. Which is not appropriate and reflects badly on MHS and the coach.
Skys the limit!!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Sat 30, 2008 6:39 pm

Vegasmom333 wrote:"As far as the whole dream team goes, not really sure who started all that but I think it was more the kids that got a kick out of referring to themselves as that...got the t-shirts .....whatever...won't pretend to know actual facts on that point"

Right after this years tryouts.....Heard head coach say to Varsity girls"finally got my dream team" while devastated JV girls that thought they were making Varsity watched and listened. Not a very nice thing to do in front of the other girls :(
Skys the limit!!

Bzemom
Citizen
Citizen
Posts: 3584
Joined: Mar Tue 13, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Green Harbor

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Bzemom » Aug Sun 31, 2008 1:31 am

Oh my good Lord! I have been reading this for over a week, and, well, enough.

First, Marshfield Cheerleading has been conducting tryouts in the spring for over 30 years. I tried out in 8th grade in 1974 and, whaddaya know? Made Varsity with two other kids (and we didn't even know how to do a roundoff)! I didn't even know what I was getting into, but I knew from my older brothers that no one was trying out so I would make it. Went to cheer camp that summer with the team in NH ("ACA all the way!"). First football game is the end of August/first weekend of September -- how, exactly, do you have tryouts after school starts and expect girls to learn dances, cheers and routines AFTER the team they are supposedly cheering for has started playing? Regardless, my daughter's school hosts cheerleading tryouts in the spring also, so it's nothing new. Nothing bad, and certainly nothing underhanded.

The one thing I learned about cheering from my daughter doing it last year (one year only, thank God), is that somewhere along the way, cheering stopped being about leading cheers for your team, and started being a performing art. It's all about dancing, tumbling, and competing against other schools. It has NOTHING to do with what grade you are in or how old you are. It's about who can base, who can throw and who can be a flyer. It's all about winning. It is indeed a competitive sport, and, as a former athlete, and as a mother of athletes, I have to say, it is an intense competitve, DANGEROUS sport.

So, if your daughter didn't make it, sorry. But it you are more upset than your daughter, then, as she would probably say . . . WHAAH. Get over it and move on. It's so much more important that her Mom concentrates on what may happen with her than what could have. Life is hopefully long, and this is just a minor pimple. Take it from me -- Varsity cheering 9th and 10th, cut in 11th . . . back in 12th. Shoulda concentrated on the damn tumbling! LOL!

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Aug Sun 31, 2008 8:53 am

Sure may seem that the parents are pissed and whiny but maybe they are actually teaching their daughters how to stick up for themselves and to fight for what is right. Imagine what it is going to be like for those Jrs/Srs that got cut to be in school while all there freinds are off to Beverly Hills. You see when BH came here these girls hosted the guest. Cheerleading is very demanding and these girls that were cut put in their time and earned their spots. So, when there is an injustice on the questionable tryout its hard for the girls to understand how can a person get away with something like this and how come the the administration knows it but can't do anything about it.
And the tryouts were held in March which is considered winter. Not even held in Spring.(Which according to MSSAA is to early)

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Aug Sun 31, 2008 10:07 am

Vegasmom333 wrote: While it is truly devasting to those girls who don't make it regardless of grade and it is tough as a parent to live with the fact that our child was just not good enough we can either move forward and let it motivate us to do more or just sit back and not accept the facts.

There are no facts that say these girls were not good enough. And its impossible to sit back when there is facts that the tryouts were fixed. Also, when a jv coach of seven years does not reapply because of the way the Head coach operates there is a huge red flag. I am sure that jv coach knows alot more about the head coach then the public for her to give up her job of seven years.The ex-jv coach plays by the rules and I am sure the Head coach is glad she is gone.
Skys the limit!!

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Sep Mon 01, 2008 10:36 pm

Great job parents...be proud. Its great to see parents stick up for what they believe. You are your childs teachers. We, as a community have expectations from our schools for what is in the best interest for the children. The issues of integrity, responsibility, favortism, money, laws and rules, and the emotional scaring that comes when all these ways are not followed. They need to be addressed and dealt with. Hopefully someone in the administration reads this thread and was able to understand the issues and there severity.
Alot of facts came out, and its nice to know I was not he only one with concerns. Thanks again, Cooper.

Peterbilt
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 91
Joined: Mar Thu 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Peterbilt » Sep Wed 03, 2008 12:37 am

Bzemom wrote:Oh my good Lord! I have been reading this for over a week, and, well, enough.

First, Marshfield Cheerleading has been conducting tryouts in the spring for over 30 years. I tried out in 8th grade in 1974 and, whaddaya know? Made Varsity with two other kids (and we didn't even know how to do a roundoff)! I didn't even know what I was getting into, but I knew from my older brothers that no one was trying out so I would make it. Went to cheer camp that summer with the team in NH ("ACA all the way!"). First football game is the end of August/first weekend of September -- how, exactly, do you have tryouts after school starts and expect girls to learn dances, cheers and routines AFTER the team they are supposedly cheering for has started playing? Regardless, my daughter's school hosts cheerleading tryouts in the spring also, so it's nothing new. Nothing bad, and certainly nothing underhanded.

The one thing I learned about cheering from my daughter doing it last year (one year only, thank God), is that somewhere along the way, cheering stopped being about leading cheers for your team, and started being a performing art. It's all about dancing, tumbling, and competing against other schools. It has NOTHING to do with what grade you are in or how old you are. It's about who can base, who can throw and who can be a flyer. It's all about winning. It is indeed a competitive sport, and, as a former athlete, and as a mother of athletes, I have to say, it is an intense competitve, DANGEROUS sport.

So, if your daughter didn't make it, sorry. But it you are more upset than your daughter, then, as she would probably say . . . WHAAH. Get over it and move on. It's so much more important that her Mom concentrates on what may happen with her than what could have. Life is hopefully long, and this is just a minor pimple. Take it from me -- Varsity cheering 9th and 10th, cut in 11th . . . back in 12th. Shoulda concentrated on the damn tumbling! LOL!
yup,pretty much.Couldn't agree more.

CAMERY
Visitor
Visitor
Posts: 29
Joined: Aug Sun 03, 2008 2:56 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by CAMERY » Sep Wed 03, 2008 10:11 pm

OMG!!! People its not about who got cut . it s about how it was done!! i'm sure the girls have moved on. Great for them , as parents you will always look out for your childs best interest and if Cheering is there thing then you will back them 100% no matter what . If you feel there was some wrong doing Spread the word .. hey guess what ... come to find out your not alone!! when something like this effects and hurts more than one child in such a short period of time. Then things might need to change. Sounds like girls are just looking for a FAIR shot at making a team.

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Sep Fri 05, 2008 12:29 am

To the previous cheerleaders that got cut from this unfair tryout I am sure this week is very sad for you.(B.H. trip) Hope that they keep their heads up high and know that people believe them. They were cut because of big egos, favoritism and lack of integrity. :banghead: Trust in God that he will reveal the truth in one way or another. Through this difficulty know that you have a ton of support and be proud of yourselves for standing up for yourselves. Unfortunately life can be unfair but trust me when I say " what goes around comes around." :lol: Don't let the bad choices of others bring you down or ruin your school days!!!!Have fun and keep close to the ones you love!!!! :wink:

Hurricane
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Posts: 17191
Joined: Sep Sat 27, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Marshfield

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Hurricane » Sep Fri 05, 2008 6:37 am

Speaking of the Beverly Hills/Marshfield High game ....

Tune into WATD Saturday night beginning at 9:00 pm as they will bring you live coverage of the Marshfield High School at Beverly Hills Football Game.
WATDs Sports Director Bill Wilhelm will be there and bring you the action as it happens, on 95.9 WATD and 959WATD.com.
"Clipper" will always be in my Heart !!

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Sep Fri 05, 2008 5:58 pm

cooper wrote:To the previous cheerleaders that got cut from this unfair tryout I am sure this week is very sad for you.(B.H. trip) Hope that they keep their heads up high and know that people believe them. They were cut because of big egos, favoritism and lack of integrity. :banghead: Trust in God that he will reveal the truth in one way or another. Through this difficulty know that you have a ton of support and be proud of yourselves for standing up for yourselves. Unfortunately life can be unfair but trust me when I say " what goes around comes around." :lol: Don't let the bad choices of others bring you down or ruin your school days!!!!Have fun and keep close to the ones you love!!!! :wink:
Its so true girls. Don't worry its just a matter of time til something will happen and she won't be able to talk her way out of it. Hopefully some parents will express there concerns to the principal and he will stand by his words of wisdom he loves to preach. So many people know the truth. You girls were what they call damage control. If they fixed it for you they would have had a bunch of more problems. Walk tall & be strong.
Skys the limit!!

cooper
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 82
Joined: Oct Thu 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by cooper » Sep Tue 09, 2008 1:05 pm

???where did Vegasmom333 go? maybe they should have called themselves Beverlyhillsmom. LOL. Atleast the truth got out about FAVORITISM!!! :lol:

Pavel Checkov
Resident
Resident
Posts: 2005
Joined: Aug Tue 30, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: USS Enterprise, 1701
Contact:

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Pavel Checkov » Sep Tue 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Too bad - I thought this thread had died....

User avatar
TennisballER
Transient
Transient
Posts: 386
Joined: Jul Mon 16, 2007 1:25 pm
Location: Brant Rock

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by TennisballER » Sep Tue 09, 2008 2:02 pm

it will never die. some negative nancy will always come back for more
Note: This User does not view, read or respond to posts by the WiffleballPro

User avatar
mommee5
Tourist
Tourist
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul Thu 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by mommee5 » Sep Tue 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Tennisballer wrote:that still doesn't prove that anything was unfair. all it says is that the coach made the picks. and thats what a coach is supposed to do. how do you no she is friends with all these girls.




So it was proven by vegasmom333 that there ARE favorites. Saw your posts and they all seem negative or bad enough to be removed from moderator. Whatever, tennisballer if its no interest to you don't post. As a matter of fact you don't even have to read it. There were some really nice girls, hardworking, and alot of people believe that they should have been on the team and that the tryouts were not properly run. People are sticking up for kids that were wronged.....
Skys the limit!!

Pavel Checkov
Resident
Resident
Posts: 2005
Joined: Aug Tue 30, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: USS Enterprise, 1701
Contact:

Re: six upperclassman only on Varsity Cheer MHS

Post by Pavel Checkov » Sep Tue 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Nooooooooooooooo.......

More rehashing of the same commentary........

Locked