What is the NBA Thinking?

Sox, Pats, B's, Celts, Revs, Rams, etc...
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
cmhop
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Location: I am in Penalty Box, I feel shame. Orwell would be proud.

What is the NBA Thinking?

Post by cmhop » Feb Fri 15, 2008 5:57 pm

After last years lawless debacle in Las Vegas, where do they chose to hold this years weekend event.

New Orleans, probably the only city in America that has more lawlessness and debauchery than Las Vegas.
EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO BE STUPID!! BUT THERE ARE SOME... THAT DEFINITELY ABUSE IT!!

Ursa Major
Resident
Resident

Re: What is the NBA Thinking?

Post by Ursa Major » Feb Fri 15, 2008 10:14 pm

After last years lawless debacle in Las Vegas, where do they chose to hold this years weekend event.

New Orleans, probably the only city in America that has more lawlessness and debauchery than Las Vegas.
Not really sure what you mean here."Lawless debacle in Las Vegas"? Vegas is pretty lawless in it's own way.

Anyway,i think that the NBA going into New Orleans for the All star weekend/Game is totally awesome.If any region of the country needs it it's them.They are hurting down there and are on the rebound.Why not give this to them?Would you rather step on their neck while they are down or help them up?I choose to help them up just like the NBA.

cmhop
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
Location: I am in Penalty Box, I feel shame. Orwell would be proud.

Post by cmhop » Feb Fri 15, 2008 10:50 pm

My point was with all the hangers on that were there for the all star game last year, there were increased shootings, there were riots it was a violent undertaking.

New Orleans will not be much better. If it is anything like last year, it will cost them more than it brings in.
EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO BE STUPID!! BUT THERE ARE SOME... THAT DEFINITELY ABUSE IT!!

Ursa Major
Resident
Resident

Post by Ursa Major » Feb Fri 15, 2008 11:19 pm

I don't know.

All i know is that the NBA is trying to jumpstart this area. :?

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Fri 15, 2008 11:32 pm

I think the NBA was trying to bring money to the area by hosting it.
Whether this is a good choice or not is yet to be seen.I would not hold what happened in Vegas against New Orleans.I mean you can have that kind of stuff happen if they held it in Detroit or other places?

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
facebook ID: phil.shannon

Post by Phil » Feb Sat 16, 2008 9:20 am

I'm really not much of a NBA or hip-hop fan (I do like the Celtics). I actually hope it gets really ugly and it probably will. Thugs showing their true colors, it will ge ugly this weekend.

Jason Whitlock slams the NBA and David Stern for attracting a thug element to the game that will only get worse and he can't get rid of anytime soon. The all-star game in New Orleans, they are taking a huge risk.
I'm serious. Stern has spent the past three years trying to move his league and players past the thug image Ron Artest's fan brawl stamped on the NBA.

After this weekend, I'm convinced he's losing the battle. All-Star Weekend Vegas screamed that the NBA is aligned too closely with thugs. Stern is going to have to take drastic measures to break that perception/reality. All-Star Weekend can no longer remain the Woodstock for parolees, wannabe rap artists and baby's mamas on tax-refund vacations.

This was not a byproduct of the game being held in Vegas. All-Star Weekend has been on this path for the past five or six years. Every year the event becomes more and more a destination for troublemakers.

If something isn't done, next year's All-Star Weekend will surpass the deceased Freaknik, a weekend-long party in Atlanta, in terms of lawlessness. Wide-spread looting and a rape killed the Freaknik in 1999.

The NBA's image cannot survive bedlam in the French Quarter. And I'm not sure it can survive the embarrassment of a New Orleans standoff between its fans and the National Guard, either.

If Stern wants to continue to strengthen the international appeal of his game, he has the perfect excuse to move the All-Star Game to Germany, China, England or anywhere Suge Knight's posse can't find it.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Sat 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Nice to see Ray Allen and a bunch of other NBA stars help paint and rehab an elementary school while they're down there.I guess these type stories don't make the headlines!!

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Feb Wed 20, 2008 6:02 pm

Ok,now that the All Star game is over,did anyone hear of any 'lawlessness" going on?I didn't hear of one incident?
I think the true story of most of the NBA players giving back something to the community while they were there was not well advertised.
I know the Celtics players helped rehab an elementary school there.Other NBA players worked on Habitat homes.

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
facebook ID: phil.shannon

Post by Phil » Feb Thu 21, 2008 6:28 am

Yeah I have to give the NBA credit and the fans for behaving in NO. Good job, I was pleasantly surprised.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.