eBay selling advice

Idle chit-chat
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules

To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

eBay selling advice

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Aug Tue 10, 2010 12:47 pm

I have never sold anything on eBay before. I have a few questions. I am thinking about selling a few electronic devices like a DVD player and a camcorder.

How do you calculate the shipping? Should I bring the items to the post office to get a price before I setup the auction?

When the customer buys and pays with paypal, what happens next? Does paypal send a check?

Lastly, does eBay take a percent of the sale as commission?

Any advice based on your experience would be fantastic.
Knowledge is good - Emil Faber

Phil
Pinnacle
Pinnacle
facebook ID: phil.shannon

Re: eBay selling advice

Post by Phil » Aug Tue 10, 2010 11:24 pm

I've bought and sold some stuff on ebay over the years. Here goes:

I am thinking about selling a few electronic devices like a DVD player and a camcorder.

How do you calculate the shipping? Should I bring the items to the post office to get a price before I setup the auction?

Go and look at the flat rate priority mail boxes. If your items will fit in the boxes with some bubblewrap you are good to go, just check the flat rate prices. For US shipments always factor in .70 cents deliver confirmation service just in case. For int'l you cant do delivery confirmation but service is reliable

When the customer buys and pays with paypal, what happens next? Does paypal send a check?

You will need your own paypal account. It seems like 95% of people pay with paypal. I think I've seen checks once or twice over the years. When you have a paypal account, the money deposits in whenever the transaction goes thru. Now you can request a check and it will take @ 5-7 days at least. Or you can connect your paypal account to your checking account and transfer money to your bank account. That even takes a couple of days but I havent done that in a couple of years.

Lastly, does eBay take a percent of the sale as commission?

You are debited $ up front to put the auction up. It's something like .50 cents for under $20 auction maybe 1.00 for up to $30 but I dont have the exact numbers, just an estimate. Don't really do this very often. If it sells they do debit your account something like 5 or 6 percent. Ebay bills you monthly and you can pay from your paypal account. Paypal takes a small % too for making the financial transactions for you and you get some seller protections too. Paypal takes it right out of the buyers payment it's a small fee. They wont bill you.

Any advice based on your experience would be fantastic.

Once somebody tried to scam me and gave me bad feedback. I complained via the ebay complaint process. After a couple of months the bad feedback went away and myself and several other sellers got our 100% reputations back. So ebay has your back if you are legit and send out the items quickly and have honest descriptions with photos etc.

Do research on completed auctions for similar items, to get an idea of how much to make your starting bid. I always do research to get an idea, and then make my auction no reserve. That seems to work best than starting low and having a reserve that you hope to reach.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.