Gardens (cont'd)

Idle chit-chat
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules

To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin
facebook ID: 1381994333

Gardens (cont'd)

Post by GoingCoastal » May Sat 29, 2010 3:49 pm

To start:

Note the woodworking skills on display.
Joe McDonald

Max

Re: Gardens 2010

Post by Max » May Sat 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Those beds look excellent!

They look almost as good as mine - except that mine now have poison ivy in them. I have been removing the IV, but getting the scourge. I have never had it before, so it's a major awakening.

Other than that my raised beds look very good.

Actually, yours look better. :neutral:
The worst offense that can be committed by a polemic is to stigmatize those who hold a contrary opinion as bad and immoral men. John Stuart Mill, 1806-73

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
Benjamin Franklin,

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » May Sat 29, 2010 4:40 pm

I was referring to that amazing trellis. You don't find workmanship like that very often. It's a chunk of old wooden ladder on top of some 1x3's. I think the only reason Kal allowed it into her garden is that it will soon be covered by string beans.

On the beds - eight years ago I bought a bunch of cedar planks figuring to line a couple of closets. Never got around to it and I used the cedar on a few of those beds. Those ones are still going without a trace of rot. The rest of them I need to replace every 2 or 3 years.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Sat 29, 2010 6:01 pm

Tell Kal the garden looks good!I am actually surprised she allowed the "amazing trellis" to be put in her garden!Looks like she tried to dress it up a bit with the twig wreath! :lol:

Joe P in 08
Resident
Resident

Post by Joe P in 08 » Jun Wed 02, 2010 12:04 am

Carson wrote:Tell Kal the garden looks good!I am actually surprised she allowed the "amazing trellis" to be put in her garden!Looks like she tried to dress it up a bit with the twig wreath! :lol:
Just need a few whirligigs to make it complete!
Note the woodworking skills on display.
Dovetail joints all around - no doubt.

Nevertheless - a show case. 'Better Homes & Gardens' material.

So - what's IN the beds?
Last edited by Joe P in 08 on Jun Wed 02, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
VOTE, for God's sake, fellow soldiers, VOTE!

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Jun Wed 02, 2010 12:15 am

Picked the first crop of snow peas today.Been picking some loose leaf lettuce as well.
Got some hops growing from last year that went up over the 6ft fence!Hopefully the nice weather continues!

Joe P in 08
Resident
Resident

Post by Joe P in 08 » Jun Wed 02, 2010 12:23 am

I have just about everything in for the year - but I am way behind on the flowers. Usually have marigolds around the veggies by now. Peas, spinach just about ready. Here and there at different locations have seen asparagus for a couple of weeks now.

The scab hit the tomatoes early last year - but then eased off.

Squash was ravaged by beetles. I am expecting them back again this year. Anyone know what is working against them?
VOTE, for God's sake, fellow soldiers, VOTE!

dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Jun Fri 04, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm doing the three sisters again this year. Corn, butternut squash and string beans. The beans are problematic for me this year. The beatles are munching them really badly. The only non toxic cure I've read about is a soapy water spray.

My tomatoes are thriving, total reversal from last year.
Knowledge is good - Emil Faber

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Jun Fri 04, 2010 5:24 pm

dtpf - You might check out a product called Safer garden pest control. Not as toxic as most and seems to work.
Joe McDonald

dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Jun Mon 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Anyone have any luck growing echinacea from seed? It takes forever to germinate, and then some sort of pest keeps eating the sprouts before they mature (it's not the bunnies because I'm starting them in containers on the deck).

On paper, I thought it would be a great addition to the garden because it would attract bees, butterlies and hummingbirds, but so far no luck at all getting it to grow.

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Oct Sun 10, 2010 8:47 pm

That was a strange year. Decent produce - but it seemed like there were weeks at a time where it was too hot or too wet to venture into the garden.

Cleaned up all the beds this weekend and picked a few straggler green peppers. Some eggplants were hanging on but I figured they'd be bitter and put them in the compost pile.
Joe McDonald

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gardens (cont'd)

Post by GoingCoastal » May Sun 29, 2011 7:52 am

The trellis withstood a winter.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Sun 29, 2011 9:29 am

Good post GC.Was thinking of starting a 2011 Garden thread.You beat me to it! :mrgreen:
Btw,GC,tell the guy in they kayak his garden looks way to neat!!! =))

I have lost a few things trying to start too early before it warmed up.I had a cold frame out in the garden for plants I had started by seed.The temps inside that were not warm most days and the nights were too cold.

I have snow peas doing pretty good so far.Loose leaf lettuce I have been picking to thin out.Mustard I have been picking too.My hops are already up my 6ft fence which are in their third year now.Actually saw a man at the fair last year selling fresh hops.I guess there is a market for them???

Rest of the warm weather veggies should start to take off with the weather for this week.My peppers don't like the cold and took a hit!Hopefully they will bounce back.

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » May Sun 29, 2011 11:45 am

We went heavy on the beans this year, pole and bush, green and yellow. Going to try to can a bunch of dilly beans which we haven't done the last few years.

Also have this thing waiting. Maybe we can make some sauce.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Mon 30, 2011 9:34 am

I am doing the Kentucky wonder beans again this year.They really grow well.I lost all my yellow bush types.Then something seems to be eating the leaves?I have to get some more seeds and replant.
My peppers aren't doing well either.I was hoping maybe with this hot weather they might respond.

GC,I have something like that but with more of a bowl at the top.The problem is you still got to peel the tomato as you don't want skins in your sauce.

I had about 80 tomato plants last year.Canned about 30 jars of sauce.Canned up some juice.I use the Cuisinart for chopping up salsa which we ate a TON of last year.I am growing cilantro which is doing well now.Fresh salsa,you can't beat it!!! :mrgreen:

I have much more tomato plants this year.Still waiting to see how some are doing as I planted early.We love the fresh sauce for making pizzas from scratch.Used leeks instead of onions from the garden.Made a great pizza!

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » May Mon 30, 2011 11:09 am

GC,I have something like that but with more of a bowl at the top.The problem is you still got to peel the tomato as you don't want skins in your sauce.
A couple of family members use this tomato press and apparently no peeling is required. Just cut the tomatoes and put them in. Skin and seeds come out one side and the sauce the other.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Jun Mon 20, 2011 9:29 am

GC,how's the garden going?I was wondering if you are getting hit by the cucumber beetle?They're hard to control as they fly from plant to plant. ~X(

I might have started so early that they chewed up a whole plot of melons.Those are gone.Some of my other squash was hit hard too.Lost some summer squash and cukes.

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Jun Mon 20, 2011 10:47 am

Don't know if it was the cucumber beetle, but something got to the pole beans. We'll be ripping those out and starting a new batch of seeds.

Everything else is looking good.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Jun Mon 20, 2011 10:59 am

GC,I bet it is the beetle.They hit my Kentucky wonder beans as well.I had planted several rows of them and a later crop.I think I might be ok now.The beans are just starting to climb up the trellis.

You can see the beetle as they are yellow and black.Dam thing hops from one plant to the next.They sometimes go on the underside of the leaves or into the mulch to hide.I'm hoping that the plants will keep growing and get beyond the stage of them being able to kill it.

http://bugguide.net/images/raw/AKMKAKRK ... UK4KBK.jpg

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Jul Fri 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Latest problem is early blight on the tomato plants.Starts on the bottom leaves of the plant.Picked off lower leaves and hoping that was the end of it.

Zuc's are doing real well.Have picked about 4 fairly large ones already.I have been eating some beets and carrots.Plenty of flowers on the cukes.Kentucky wonders are up and over the trellis!Everything else is doing fine.

How's things growing in your garden GC?

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Jul Sun 10, 2011 4:25 pm

How's things growing in your garden GC?
Other than the lost pole beans, we are doing ok. Not much produce yet but our harvests always seem to start and end later than others. Starting to see some pumpkins...
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sat 20, 2011 10:14 pm

GC,I have a lot of pumpkins pulled already.I have some specialty types growing like a lemon yellow one.I have some other types as well.I had to pull a bunch to get them into the fair.I actually had one stolen out of the patch which was a funny story.Course it wasn't funny at the time.Especially when I was going to enter this twin pair in the fair.

I have about 17 items entered in the fair.I haven't been able to get into the fair just yet to see how I made out with ribbons.

My tomatoes are almost gone with the early blight.I thought pulling them would end it but it seemed to spread to the peppers.Now those aren't doing well.Even the Kentucky wonder beans took a hit with the bugs.Not happy with growing things this year.I am just going to get the fall crops in and hopefully they do better.

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Aug Sun 21, 2011 7:03 am

Spent the afternoon yesterday canning pickles and dilly beans. It looks like our cucumber and bean plants are about done, I'll be pulling them up soon. The large tomatoes are just starting to turn red and some of the pumpkins are ready to pick.

Once again, no Giant Max pumpkins this year, but plenty of the smaller ones. Kal took up a lot of garden space with decorative gourds and we've got plenty of them.

Your stolen pumpkin reminds me of a story I read in a history of Kingston. I think it was back in the early 1900's, a gentleman farmer had every last pumpkin stolen from his patch just as they were ready for picking.

Years later a couple of guys confessed to him that they did it as teens - and made amends.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sun 21, 2011 11:20 am

I had growing the Naples Long.There were two on the same stalk like twins.I was going to put them into the fair until the pumpkin robber came along.Takes 125 days to grow.Average weight is 20-25lbs.

We also have the Jarrahsale maxima.Those are pretty funky pumpkins.I think they call them "cinderella" pumpkins.Then there was a moonshine one that turned a lemon yellow.It's really something to see.We have a few American Tondo as well.Then the small pie pumpkins did well.

Did Kal grow the bottle or birdhouse type gords?I friend of ours grows them every year.Grew some from his seeds last year.You can see that type at the fair growing up the tepee like poles out by Rte 3A.

Everything is about done with the summer crops.We have carrots,beets,kale,turnip and mustard going in now.

Have you put up any tomato sauce yet?Was going to ask you how that machine of yours was working on the skins?

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Aug Sun 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Carson wrote: Have you put up any tomato sauce yet?Was going to ask you how that machine of yours was working on the skins?
Was giving that thing a try as you posted.

The process was:

Score the tomatoes on the bottom:

Get the press ready:

Place tomatoes in boiling water for 20-30 seconds:

Cut them into large chunks and feed into the press:

Get a thumbs up from son who likes to make a mess:

Could easily have removed the skins from the tomatoes while I was cutting them, but it didn't matter - the press does a good job of separating.

The resulting puree was added to some already-cooking olive oil and garlic and is now simmering.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sun 21, 2011 4:59 pm

Well looks like a job well done!You deserve a thumbs up!!

I can't really see from the picture where the skins go?Is that a shoot off to the side?How about small seeds?Also,do you have to use some kind of device to press the tomatoes down into the funnel top?

Btw,tell Kal,nice Polish pottery!!Got a bit of that ourselves! 8)

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Aug Sun 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Carson wrote:Well looks like a job well done!You deserve a thumbs up!!

I can't really see from the picture where the skins go?Is that a shoot off to the side?How about small seeds?Also,do you have to use some kind of device to press the tomatoes down into the funnel top?

Btw,tell Kal,nice Polish pottery!!Got a bit of that ourselves! 8)
The chute on the left in the pictures has the puree. The one coming right toward the camera has the skins and seeds.

Did not need a utensil to force the tomatoes into the press. I did feed the "refuse" bowl back into the press a couple of times to get all of the good stuff.

Polish Pottery - she's been collecting that stuff for 25 years and it doesn't seem like she's done.
Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sun 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Well that seems like it is working well then.I really didn't think you would get the seeds,which are a pain and the skins all out of that.I have been pushing mine threw a strainer with very small holes.It's a lot of work.If you don't have to force anything down that funnel,that's great.I get plenty of juice too.Not bad for fresh Bloody Mary's though!!

I can't blame Kal one bit!The pottery from Poland is beautiful and durable.

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GoingCoastal » Aug Sun 21, 2011 6:25 pm

By the way - we were up in Maine at the in-laws last week. She has an enormous tomato crop coming in. Unfortunately, she also has an abundance of these things. They're picking off 40 a day.

Joe McDonald

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sun 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Oh,ya the good old horn worm!I had one last year that the wasps laid eggs in.Turned the whole body white speckles.I pulled it off and laid it on the ground.Within minutes a bird swooped down and got it!
The birds love those horn worms.We have at least 3 bird baths around the garden which brings them in.

Just curious,do they have any sign of that early blight up there in Maine??I have checked gardens around my house and all report it.Then took a look at the garden at the fair and same thing.They even had it into the eggplants.

I have a processor sort of like what you have.I just haven't tried it.Thought it would be more of a pain if the seeds and skins didn't come off.Now I think I might dig it out and give it a try next batch.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Sun 28, 2011 1:16 am

Entered a bunch of things this year at the fair.All of my different varieties of pumpkins all won first place.Won first in the longest bean contest this year.All totaled about 9 first places and the rest second place.Not bad.

dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Mar Sat 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Planted my peas today.