Wanted- violin

The Marshfield forum's version of Freecycle. Exchange your clutter for the clutter of others.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
kevin shapter
Tourist
Tourist

Wanted- violin

Post by kevin shapter » Sep Mon 17, 2007 9:36 am

Looking for a violin for a beginner, 9 years old. I know they can be rented from school dept but thought I'd check to see if someone is looking to get rid of one.
FORMERLY ABBEY CARPET OF MARSHFIELD. NOW ABBEY FLOORS EXPRESS
CUSTOM FLOORS AT YOUR DOOR!
http://www.abbeyfloorsexpress.com

Pavel Checkov
Resident
Resident

Re: Wanted- violin

Post by Pavel Checkov » Sep Mon 17, 2007 10:52 am

If you want to get one cheap - try e-bay.

I can't attest to the quality - but they have them for $100 and even some less.

Probably a decent deal if they don't plan on sticking with it more than the year.

I don't think you're going to find any lower prices - we tried...

One plus about spending the $30/month is that they will cover all repairs.

nancyann35
Resident
Resident

Post by nancyann35 » Sep Mon 17, 2007 5:58 pm

It is well worth it from the school IMO. I tried finding my daughter one last year and broke down with one at the school. It is good too because if they choose not to continue, or decide to change instruments (my daughter is moving to saxaphone this year) it is easy returns. plus they fix any problems with the instrument
WHAT IS SCARY IS NOT WHAT GOES BUMP I THE NIGHT, BUT WHISPERS AT MIDDAY

Username Goes Here
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Username Goes Here » Sep Mon 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Tip from a Violinist... who also had a beginner violinist three years ago... who also insures professional violinists etc... so yes...I know a thing or two.

I rented regretfully from K&C Music Co. based in Norwood for my daughter who was a beginner back in 3rd grade. I despised their billing, when I called, it sounded like a circus act...it was truly unprofessional. Bottom Line...K&C Music Company is exactly that...a Music Company shipping out factory manufactured instruments...it's QUANTITY not QUALITY for them.

I say that confidently as my daughter was issued a 1/4 sized violin with a full sized bridge... First, when you press on a string on a violin that size with a bridge high enough for a full sized instrument...you're going to have double strings played. THIS really hampered my daughter's first experiences.

My advice is this...if you DO rent from K&C, bring it to a luthier or a violin shop and have them do a quick review to make sure it has proper strings, it's properly strung as well as it has a proper bridge.

I am passionately saying this because if you give your child an instrument that isn't even properly adjusted/fit, then the love and passion for the instrument will go down the toilet, along with any investments you've made including a rental. If you can find an instrument that can produce a decent sound and is properly fit then it will create a much more pleasurable experience for your student.

ALSO...I think it's very very wise for any parent to enroll a child in a music class if not for the education of reading music alone. My daughter just started voice lessons and having already completed two full years of violin, she can go right into reading sheet music to sing with... This is a huge leap.

Good for you starting your child in music! It's something they will always always always carry with them!

You can always contact Mrs. Johnson at the school and ask what "brands" of violins she recommends for a student fit. We were extremely lucky to rent from a luthier that is a client with us -- he has a beautiful violin and bow that really -- has me attempting to play a 1/2 sized violin b/c it sounds so pretty!!!!!

Good luck!!!
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/davehagan/christina.gif[/img]

zoomzoom
Transient
Transient

Post by zoomzoom » Sep Mon 17, 2007 9:51 pm

we had no problems with K&C.

Gringa
Transient
Transient

Post by Gringa » Sep Tue 18, 2007 9:19 am

Does anyone know where I could take a viola for re-tuning? We're borrowing my sis-in-law's viola but it hasn't been played for over 20 years.
[color=#FF0000]"Caras vemos...pero corazones no sabemos."[/color]

Patricia J Reilly
Transient
Transient

Post by Patricia J Reilly » Sep Tue 18, 2007 6:05 pm

Last year Music Unlimited in Kingston did some work on my son's cello. You could give them a try.
Go Bruins!

Pavel Checkov
Resident
Resident

Post by Pavel Checkov » Sep Wed 19, 2007 8:32 am

I would wonder if they would even do it at the school....

Gringa
Transient
Transient

Post by Gringa » Oct Mon 15, 2007 7:33 am

Apparently the music teacher did it for us. :)
[color=#FF0000]"Caras vemos...pero corazones no sabemos."[/color]

csbretto
Visitor
Visitor

Post by csbretto » Jun Thu 12, 2014 1:51 am

www.violinluthier.com a South Shore based luthier is very knowledgeable when it comes to repairing and making violins. Their luthier (North Bennet Street School Boston taught) repairs violins on the South Shore of Massachusetts. That's my advice.