Tax Takings

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
felinesmom
Tourist
Tourist

Tax Takings

Post by felinesmom » Jan Wed 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Does anyone on this forum know how much it costs the town to complete a tax taking of property for non-payment of taxes?

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Re: Tax Takings

Post by JIMD » Feb Fri 02, 2018 6:36 am

It may depend on the person who's property is being taken. If the person is wealthy and can afford good lawyers then the town may have to spend more
Good Dog

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Feb Fri 02, 2018 12:39 pm

felinesmom wrote:
Jan Wed 31, 2018 3:16 pm
Does anyone on this forum know how much it costs the town to complete a tax taking of property for non-payment of taxes?
I don't know the process of tax takings, but it seems like the Town Treasurer can do most of the work, at least in the beginning, so the extra costs would be in the newspaper notice and filings fees at that point. The Plymouth County Registry of Deeds shows a cost of $65 for a municipal lien and a cost of $75 for some other documents. After that, the process eventually ends up in Land Court and maybe the Town's lawyer, or some other lawyer, needs to be involved which would add to the cost?

What I do know is that there are about 200 tax taking filings on record at the Registry for Marshfield for the time period from November 2016 to November 2017. I can see people I know on the list, like one of my neighbors and a high school principal (from another town.) These people owe, or owed, about $200 which ballooned to $600 after interest and a $349 other charge. Why would someone, who has to pay thousands in property taxes each year, owe a lousy $200? It doesn't make much sense and I'm surprised the Town would get people like this caught up in a tax taking process.

One person I know on the list unfortunately owes more. It looks like one year of taxes is owed and the interest and other charge has added about $2,000 to the total. This woman doesn't have much money that I know of and has supposedly been struggling for years. She has an adult handicapped son at home as far as I know. I'm glad you brought the topic up felinesmom, because now I will check with some others in town to see if we can find out if this woman needs help or if she is okay.

Why do you ask the question felinesmom? Do you know someone who's been inserted into the tax taking process for some frivolous or disputed amount? One year a woman I know was listed in the paper for owing $1,100. She didn't even know it when I called her. She immediately asked me to bring a check to Town Hall for her and she told me to get a receipt. When I looked at the receipt I could see that she had two property lots. One was the lot she supposedly owed for and had just paid on, and the other lot showed a negative balance of $1,100. The Town had misapplied a payment!!! ...and she ended up in the newspaper.

Below is a link to a summary of the duties and powers of a Town Treasurer. It explains the process of tax takings.
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/20 ... nfaq_0.pdf

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Why would the Town Treasuer be so aggressive as to put someone's name on the list who owed $200, before making a phone call and letting the person know so that they could settle the matter beforehand?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Sat 03, 2018 6:54 am

Seahag wrote:
Feb Fri 02, 2018 4:05 pm
Why would the Town Treasuer be so aggressive as to put someone's name on the list who owed $200, before making a phone call and letting the person know so that they could settle the matter beforehand?
Because the Selectmen are telling him to take a tough approach against local residents?

Because he's one of those type of "PROFESSIONALS" that the Charter Review Committee says will be running the town after the Town Charter is changed?

Because the TOWN thinks it needs the money more than any one of its residents or families?

Because - they will tell you - 'Everyone else is doing it'.

Remember: "We are all in this together,' and,
Fitzgerald, Maresco, Bowes - THESE are the "good Guys.' ONLY THEY and "Citizens Of The Year" do 'good things. Everyone else is dirt.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Sat 03, 2018 10:12 am

Left to right: 1)Chairman of the Charter Review Committee, Chamber of Commerce bigwig, close associate of Mike Maresco and local banker, Bowes, 2) a local celebrity and frequent backer of ANYTHING the Insiders want, 3) "Beloved" selectman, 'tight' buddy/associate of Mike Maresco and supporter of Charter Change Jim Fitzgerald and, 4)Mike Maresco, Democratic hack, overpaid and and unqualified town administrator, creator of 'Wasteful Winter Wonderland' on town green, appointed through a 'nationwide search' who stands to become town czar if Charter Change is passed -and who no doubt gets a BIG raise $$$ over an already bloated salary if the Town Charter is changed.

See how it all works out - for some people?

Oh, and they are posing at an event at the Marshfield (cough-cough) airport.

You must believe that these are the ONLY nice , generous, giving, thoughtful, caring, intelligent, visionaries that care about 'the children,' in town.

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Sat 03, 2018 11:48 am

Who is number 2, the local celebrity???!!!

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:17 pm

Seahag - Isn't it enough to know they are all smiling and looking at you?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:18 pm

not really. I like details!

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Sat 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Vlad_Rap wrote:
Feb Sat 03, 2018 5:17 pm
Seahag - Isn't it enough to know they are all smiling and looking at you?

Vlad Rap is right! Look at those friendly faces! :X :X :X

Oh, how I want them to run 'the government' for me! :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY:

How could we go wrong???

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Mon 05, 2018 11:44 am

I would guess that those three 'leaders' in that picture don't miss many meals and, unlike many residents - have no problem keeping food on the table.

Word is that the Insiders are doubling-down on their efforts that in effect TAKE OVER town government and minimize public participation. They are going after Jonh Cusick, DPW Commissioner. John has been the primary thorn in the sides of the pond scum that want to take control of the MILLIONS of dollars of funds under DPW Board supervision. So, they seem to be prepping someone for a return to run against John Cusick in this Spring's election.

This, I am sure they think, is their "insurance policy" for securing control of the Board of Public Works - if the Charter Change effort that would eliminate the Board of DPW fails.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Feb Mon 05, 2018 12:13 pm

Joseph wrote:
Feb Mon 05, 2018 11:44 am
I would guess that those three 'leaders' in that picture don't miss many meals and, unlike many residents - have no problem keeping food on the table.
yea those 3 know how to keep a job.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Mon 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Well, they do seem to be having a jolly old time! I wonder what the check is for? does anyone know??

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Mon 05, 2018 10:53 pm

bobkat wrote:
Feb Mon 05, 2018 12:13 pm
Joseph wrote:
Feb Mon 05, 2018 11:44 am
yea those 3 know how to keep a job.
I don't want to see this thread pulled off topic like you apparently want to do.
But what is your obsession? Is your life so boring?
I haven't seen this level of obsession since Bilge-pimp (Bridges).

You seem to have an obsession with work histories. So, why don't you start by posting your resume and tell everyone what is your concept of the ideal resume and work history? Start a new thread on this forum:: "bobkats exemplary work history," or, "How I made a million bucks and got to enjoy retirement."
Include any assets that you may have married into.
That way anyone that cares to read it can assess their shortcomings or successes.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:07 am

So, is the lady in the picture with the three jolly gentlemen giving or receiving the check from Mr. Maresco and what is the check for :!: :?: :-SS

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Tue 06, 2018 9:46 am

Seahag wrote:
Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:07 am
So, is the lady in the picture with the three jolly gentlemen giving or receiving the check from Mr. Maresco and what is the check for :!: :?: :-SS
Doesn't really matter too much about what the check is for but, it's a safe bet that it's not Maresco's, Fitzgerald's or Bowes's - or that lady's money. It's also a safe bet that the transfer was parlayed into a political advantage or credit for all involved.

Stop asking question and just keep it in mind that these are nice people who care about The Children. And, in order to make it possible for them to care even more about The Children we need to turn over eternal control of town government to them.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Feb Tue 06, 2018 12:58 pm

I think it was for Community Christmas. :razz:

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Tue 06, 2018 7:04 pm

So Joe, would you deny groups like Community Christmas or Sowing Seeds the right to take donations from politically active groups or individuals? What have you contributed lately to any group in Marshfield that helps those who are less fortunate? Do you do any type of volunteer work in your own town? What have you done ever to help those in need in your town except criticize everyone else who tries to make a difference?
Just saying!

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Tue 06, 2018 8:44 pm

My thoughts on donations.
I don't think anyone has a problem with people making a donation or volunteering their time to a cause.
The issue is are those donating/volunteering doing it just to get camera time or blip in the paper to make themselves look good esp. If politics is involved.
It's looks like they ( people in pic as well as many others inside/outside of town ) are taking advantage of a situation for there own self gain.
I am sure there are many people out there that donate/volunteer their time without needing it to be publicized.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Tue 06, 2018 9:02 pm

Eric
I understand what you are saying but Joseph criticizes every well known person in town everytime they do something such as giving a donation to a worthy cause. I am guessing that looking at the people in the picture, the check was probably from the Molly Fund to some worthy charity. I know for a fact that the Molly Fund has helped so many needy people in this town without ever seeking any publicity or recognition. Please remember that at one time Joseph even questioned the legitimacy of the Molly Fund and the creation of Dandelion Park. He seems to see a conspiracy behind every group or individual giving help or comfort to anyone in this town. Joseph, please show your dedication to this town by doing something worthwhile for a change. Go and volunteer for some group in this town and then you might understand why people do what they do to make this town better instead of tearing down every person who does not buy in to your conspiracy theories.
Not

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Wed 07, 2018 8:53 am

niles wrote:
Feb Tue 06, 2018 9:02 pm
Eric
I understand what you are saying but Joseph criticizes every well known person in town everytime they do something such as giving a donation to a worthy cause. I am guessing that looking at the people in the picture, the check was probably from the Molly Fund to some worthy charity. I know for a fact that the Molly Fund has helped so many needy people in this town without ever seeking any publicity or recognition. Please remember that at one time Joseph even questioned the legitimacy of the Molly Fund and the creation of Dandelion Park. He seems to see a conspiracy behind every group or individual giving help or comfort to anyone in this town. Joseph, please show your dedication to this town by doing something worthwhile for a change. Go and volunteer for some group in this town and then you might understand why people do what they do to make this town better instead of tearing down every person who does not buy in to your conspiracy theories.
Not
niles, you are a lying sack of crap.

Your post is an example of the depths to which people like you will sink in order to ATTEMPT to discredit anybody that challenges the control and questions the ACTIONS and the methods of the Democrat-dominated clique that dominates town politics. When someone points out the hypocrisy and the streams of lies and misleading statements of the town hacks - they get attacked - like you are doing to me, now and have always done.

There are many people, like me, that volunteer time and donate resources---OUR OWN -- to help others and to support and promote good, accountable government without mugging for cameras and parlaying their "good deeds" into obvious political and financial gain like your sleazy gang.

Just one example-Bowes and Fitzgerald are pushing Charter Change along and if pushed through Mikey would then get to be Town Manager.
The relationships between these clowns and how they benefit politically and financially should be brought out into the open.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Wed 07, 2018 10:04 am

Hey Joe
As President Reagan once said, "There you go again."
You just proved my point that you attack anyone who takes issue with your views.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Wed 07, 2018 10:44 am

Reagan was one of your heroes - eh?

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Wed 07, 2018 11:57 am

Hey Joe
Just because I quote someone doesn’t make them my hero. So if I quote you, does that make you my hero? Please tell all of us about your volunteering anywhere in this town to help people. Have you ever responded to anyone who disagreed with you in a civil tone?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Wed 07, 2018 1:40 pm

niles wrote:
Feb Wed 07, 2018 11:57 am
Hey Joe
Just because I quote someone doesn’t make them my hero. So if I quote you, does that make you my hero? Please tell all of us about your volunteering anywhere in this town to help people. Have you ever responded to anyone who disagreed with you in a civil tone?
Boy, you are one sleazy, slippery snake.

1) You can't answer a simple question.
2) You pretend to not know that when it comes to doing good and charitable works one should strive to "not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," and not to stand before the crowds (And cameras and newspaper reporters), proclaiming what good you have done.
3) Yes. But I and anyone else has a right and a duty to express indignation over deception and outrageous lies from 'the government.'

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:08 pm

Ok, Joe
I am going to answer your question. No, I do not consider Reagan as one of my he ties but I did admire the way he personally conducted himself as President.
Now it's your turn. One simple question for you to answer.
In the past ten years, please name one organization, group, social service agency, institution, charity etc. that you have volunteered your time and effort? Town critic doesn't count.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:09 pm

PS- please answer the question in a CIVIL tone.
Thank you.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Thu 08, 2018 12:40 am

Maybe a lot of those well known people need to be critiqued as the ones you see in paper for their charitable contributions are in a position of carrying out how this town operates.
I am sure the Molly fund has done good for people in town. Let us not forget that it is overseen by Mr. Fitzgerald and he is a selectmen. This is where politics and being part of a charitable fund gets murky as I described in my previous post.
In regards to Molly fund getting recognition I am not sure if your talking about the people it has helped as I am sure they don't want the spotlight or if your talking about the fund itself as it does get advertised from time to time.
Questioning things is not a bad thing as I believe it's healthy to try and make sure things are on the up and up.
The people who run this town bring it on themselves as to what their intentions are in regards to how this town operates or should operate.
Honestly, do you really think the charter change is for the better of the town as a whole?
Maybe Joe does volunteer/donate he just doesn't advertise it.
Probably why he does not respond to you when you ask about his charitable contributions.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Thu 08, 2018 6:45 am

niles wrote:
Feb Wed 07, 2018 3:09 pm
PS- please answer the question in a CIVIL tone.
Thank you.
Have a nice day.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Thu 08, 2018 9:18 am

Eric
I have no problem with people criticizing officials, appointed or elected. In fact, many times I agree with Joe and others on this forum on certain issues such as the airport expansion or Maresco's appointment. However, I do take issue with the way Joe attacks anyone and everyone who disagrees with him with language that is uncalled for. As an example, I asked Joe a simple question as to why he attacked charitable groups and his immediate response was to call me a lying sack if crap. That was followed by my being a sleazy snake. I think that issues on this forum can be argued in a way that is civil and respectful of others' differing opinions. I don't see that from Joe. There was a recent thread on here about full day kindergarten which generated a very good discussion that was civil and respectful of differing opinions. All I am asking is that Joe be more civil when responding to differing opinions.
By the way, I was not asking Joe whether he contributes money to any charity but rather whether he contributes any time to any non-political organization in this town. Thank you, Eric, for your civil response to my posts.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Thu 08, 2018 12:20 pm

I can't speak for Joe on how he responds or how it sounds to others when he does respond. I don't know if Joe interprets how yourself and others challenge him on his comments as you attacking him as well.
It can be a two way street with the other party not realizing how they sound.
The other thing is I don't know you and maybe Joe does. So, if he does then that can be a factor. If Joe does know you and you have given indications that you are part of the in crowd then there maybe no changing on how he responds back to you.
I know I am no saint but I do try and keep it civil unless the other side really wants to get in the gutter. Have I misinterpreted a comment? Absolutely. Apologize and move on.
Start in small comments instead of a long post. I think that's where you run into problems. Read it before you send and ask yourself how would you interpret it.
Go from there and maybe you can have a good dialogue with out the issues.
I think we all at times have to dial it back, but there are times you do need to make your point and sometimes its not pretty.
Good chatting.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Feb Thu 08, 2018 6:10 pm

I was not asking Joe whether he contributes money to any charity but rather whether he contributes any time to any non-political organization in this town. Thank you, Eric, for your civil response to my posts.
I don't get it Niles. Why would anyone be more forthcoming with you than you are with them?

Maybe you went to Harvard.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Thu 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Vladrap
What would you like to know about me? And, no, I did not go to Harvard but I did go to a state school. I am not politically connected, involved in politics or plan to to do so. I wouldn't know Joseph if I fell over him and I am sure he has never met me. I am just looking for civil discourse on whatever topic comes up.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Feb Fri 09, 2018 7:12 am

You've come to the wrong place, when talking about politics or politicians, more often then not it gets heated.
Good Dog

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Fri 09, 2018 9:01 am

Vlad_Rap and JimD both make good points.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Fri 09, 2018 9:15 am

I understand that political debate can get heated and emotional. That's what makes democracy so great in that heated debate can take place over issues that people really care about. My point is that heated and emotional debate can take place without name calling or gutter talk. Think President Reagan and Speaker O'Neil. Great differences in their outlook for the country but their debate was always civil.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Feb Fri 09, 2018 10:11 am

Reading 'niles' I can't help but think of the parable that Trump brought back and popularized : about the old lady and the snake.

Espousing 'civility' and citing the anecdote around the Reagan-O'Neill exchanges niles writes in a condescending manner. But it's O-K for niles to sneer and to paint others as such bad people - while he tells others how to speak and behave.

"...Joseph criticizes every well known person in town everytime they do something such as giving a donation to a worthy cause."

See the Alinsky tactics at work? According to niles, 'Joseph' ALWAYS attacks the 'good' people - who are, and according to niles, "every well known person in town." Ergo, Joseph is a BAD person. (But niles claims never having met Joseph and wouldn't know him if he/she 'fell over him.') Can you say disingenuous?

niles says: " I am guessing that looking at the people in the picture, the check was probably from the Molly Fund to some worthy charity. I know for a fact that the Molly Fund has helped so many needy people in this town without ever seeking any publicity or recognition."

So, niles KNOWS FOR A FACT about 'so many needy people' being helped. But niles feigns to portray ignorance or distance from the town affairs - in order to attempt to establish the position as an impartial, objective observer. Pure Alinsky tactics. niles couldn't know about Molly Fund specifics - unless he was an Insider. As an Insider I think niles would know the 'participants' in town politics around here.

niles goes on to oh-so-civil characterization and studious observations: "Please remember that at one time Joseph even questioned the legitimacy of the Molly Fund and the creation of Dandelion Park."

Where was that done? When? What was said- niles? But again, the attack is not-so-thinly veiled.

niles writes: He seems to see a conspiracy behind every group or individual giving help or comfort to anyone in this town.

Again, see the attempt to demonize.

This is what niles practices. niles, the guy that professes such affinity for, and calls for civility.

And so, in order to attempt to neutralize and sow self-questioning niles throws in the next tactic from the Alinsky playbook: "...please show your dedication to this town by doing something worthwhile for a change. Go and volunteer for some group in this town and then you might understand why people do what they do to make this town better instead of tearing down every person who does not buy in to your conspiracy theories.

And so in a later post niles says that I should tell everyone what 'good works' I have done over the last ten years. Curious - why 'ten years' niles?
And niles adds the condition that the good works can not include being a 'town critic.'

So, niles obviously sees something WRONG with anyone being a 'town critic.' There is nothing wrong with being a critic of government. That's an important part of how The People keep 'government' accountable.

I say beware of others telling you to be 'civil' - especially when it comes to politics. It's O-K to feel Righteous Indignation when the offenses against our sensibilities, our lives, our peace and our Constitution are so blatant.

[emphasis added]

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Dear Joseph
I'm done with responding to any more of your posts. I asked a simple question about helping others and again you decided to attack the questioner. Enjoy your fame as a town critic and may you continue to be happy attacking others. Have a nice day.
Niles

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:27 pm

Maybe Niles has read other posts and has let it infiltrate his/her head.
I would say Niles needs to clear the head and just ask a simple question without the baggage attached to it.
Get a more active in how the town operates and maybe see the other side of what's happening here.
We all came here for a reason. I would say it's to escape the city. It's all changing here and we might as well go back to where we came from if we are not going to protect what we came here for.
Town leaders and chambers of commerce are out to destroy quality of life here and it's to benefit themselves.
I can see Joseph's point in his responses.
It's never too late to start the conversation over and maybe there will be a more tamed discussion.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Feb Fri 09, 2018 4:37 pm

I just read your post after working on mine and sending it out.
Who cares about what he has done. I am sure he has done a lot and chooses not to mention it. Joe, is not the type to try and make himself look better by bragging about his charitable contributions.
Get on your two feet and go ask around town if you need to find out so bad.
You mentioned that you agreed with me on my response to pic posted so why would Joe go down a similar path.
Think about it Niles.