search committee for town administrator

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

search committee for town administrator

Post by Swamp Yankee » Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:14 am

A newly formed seven-member search committee tasked with finding Marshfield’s new town administrator will hold its first meeting Tuesday night, Aug. 8, setting up an itinerary in keeping with the town’s aggressive timeline to seat Rocco Longo’s replacement.
Monday night, selectmen approved the members of the committee, who will be sworn in by Acting Town Clerk Narice Casper during Tuesday night’s meeting.
The search committee is composed of John Clifford Esq., a former town administrator, Robert Galvin, Esq., town counsel, William Hocking, fire chief, Caroline LaCroix, director of human resources, Chris Rohland, Capital Budget Committee member, Phil Tavares, chief of police, and Elizabeth Zimmer, Charter Review Commission member.
Clifford, Galvin, Rohland, Tavares, and Zimmer are all also residents of Marshfield.

http://marshfield.wickedlocal.com/news/ ... inistrator

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Re: search committee for town administrator

Post by Seahag » Aug Tue 08, 2017 9:20 am

Is Elizabeth Zimmer on Charter Review Commission? She is on Advisory Board, or was.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Aug Tue 08, 2017 10:04 am

That surprised me as well. I know she is on the advisory board. Didn’t hear of any new appointments to the Charter committee though.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Aug Tue 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Oh here we go again with the world wide search!!! :lol:

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Aug Thu 31, 2017 11:22 am

Zimmer is Marzelli's daughter. And there are other connections among the committee members.

I sense an effort to stack the committee and thus, determine who will be the next town administrator.

Who told the selectmen to pick these particular people?

What is Maresco's role in this?
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Aug Thu 31, 2017 6:17 pm

Mickey is not on the side of the residents of Marshfield nor has he ever been.
Mickey is on the side of mickey.
Likes 40Bs
Wants to make Marshfield into an urban enviornment.
Mickey is a politician - something residents of Massachusetts should be pushing back against
Residents of Marshfield should vote their own interest while they still can

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Aug Thu 31, 2017 7:09 pm

Just emailed Mr. Longo in regards to interviews being in executive session. If we can't be allowed to attend meetings then they should be taped and aired on tv afterwards so we can see the process.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Sep Fri 01, 2017 7:28 pm

To my understanding the interviews are held in executive session to protect the those being interviewed. In case they currently have a job and they don't get in trouble with their current employer.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Sep Sat 02, 2017 5:31 pm

To my understanding the interviews are held in executive session to protect the those being interviewed. In case they currently have a job and they don't get in trouble with their current employer.
Well that is understandable but how about letting residents in on the process in which those to be interviewed are selected. How many prospects come from advertisements in newspapers and other legitimate searches and how many are selectively invited in to be interviewed by town government. What is the problem with letting us know that much, at least.

We don't trust our government ,here in Massachusetts, on any level yet we continue to vote them into office. How does this happen?

There is no legitimate reason for this movement to take power out of the hands of residents attending Town Meeting. To agree to this push for a town manager is to vote against your own best interests.

Why do you think these politicians feel the need to aquire the power to change your town without your permission?

Why did you move here?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Sun 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Vlad, we moved here b/c this is where our parents were, and b/c we love the beaches and topography and geographical location of the town. It is so beautiful!
Joseph, the Selectmen asked amongst themselves who they would like to see on the search committee, and that is the list they came up with. My only problem with it is that the MM keeps reporting that Elizabeth Zimmer is a member of the Charter Commission, and she is not. She is on Advisory Board.
Erik, stop looking for problems where they don't exist! Everything is being done accordingly.
They have 26 candidates, they will cull out those that don't meet the first wave and then go from there. No different than any other search committee anywhere, whether for a municipal office, a corporation, et al.

I believe they will come up with a very good candidate for our town. Oh, silly me, you will say! We need a strong Town manager to head up all of the disparate parts.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Sep Mon 04, 2017 9:26 am

That's funny..I look for problems. It usually an issue that comes up in town that gets my attention and the issue turns out to be a problem.
Say like the rent free seating for a restaurant on a town owned sidewalk.
How about the free parking on town owned land that businesses in town have usage of.
How about the town police dept. enforcing parking restrictions on private property on behalf of businesses.
But, if you have kids that want to play sports you the resident taxpayer/ratepayer have to pay a field fee (rent) in order for your child to play sports.
In regards to the search committee....
It makes no sense to me that you have closed interviews when the candidates know that if they make the top 3 that it will be a public interview process in front of selectmen. If those being interviewed were that concerned about their job then they would not apply.
What happens when someone gets a top 3 spot and they realize they will be exposed in public. Do they tell the committee thanks, but no thanks because they may not get job and may feel they will loose their job. That would be a waste of time.
How do we really know how many people are being interviewed?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Mon 04, 2017 11:41 am

It appears from the outside that the 'search' and selection process is already rigged. What we have in play is the old Maresco-Fitzgerald-Clifford-Marzelli-Zimmer clique. Tavares and Galvin have wish lists. Rohland is a bit of an unknown - but someone will fill us in on that soon.

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Lifetime
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Lifetime » Sep Mon 04, 2017 12:04 pm

It does not seem right, The committee is made up of employees or contract employees, who will pick their next boss or administrate their contract.
Robert Galvin, Town Counsel, John Clifford Town Labor Counsel, the police chief, the fire chief, human resource assistant. Seems to be a conflict of Interest with most on the committee.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Mon 04, 2017 12:12 pm

Lifetime wrote:
Sep Mon 04, 2017 12:04 pm
It does not seem right, The committee is made up of employees or contract employees, who will pick their next boss or administrate their contract.
Robert Galvin, Town Counsel, John Clifford Town Labor Counsel, the police chief, the fire chief, human resource assistant. Seems to be a conflict of Interest with most on the committee.
As usual, no citizen input. They have no need for the residents, the voters.
They pretend to take into consideration the residents. It's a farce.
They more voters stay away from the polls, the more divided the regular citizens become, the more resdients 'sell out' to a few crumbs from the 'leaders' - the more emboldened the Inner clique becomes.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Tue 05, 2017 9:29 am

to Eric's point on the three finalists being interviewed in public - yes, sometimes the candidate does opt out at the end b/c they don't wish to jeopardize their current position. I'm sure you would not want everybody at Stop and Shop to know that you are interviewing at Roche Bros., for instance.
I'm pretty sure that we are following the protocol used by every other municipality to conduct interviews properly.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Sep Tue 05, 2017 10:34 am

Seahag wrote:
Sep Tue 05, 2017 9:29 am
to Eric's point on the three finalists being interviewed in public - yes, sometimes the candidate does opt out at the end b/c they don't wish to jeopardize their current position. I'm sure you would not want everybody at Stop and Shop to know that you are interviewing at Roche Bros., for instance.
I'm pretty sure that we are following the protocol used by every other municipality to conduct interviews properly.
good one LMAO

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Sep Tue 05, 2017 2:08 pm

So, once again I am right.
The difference with your analogy of me is i am not in the public sector interviewing for a public position in which this position will be making critical decisions on how this town operates.
But, let's say I want to run for state rep. then my employer would most certainly know that there may be a.possibility of me leaving.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Tue 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Not quite sure I get your train of thought on this at all. How did you segue from search committee for town administrator to if you ran for state rep??
I kind of think you don't know what an executive search committee does, either in the private or public sector.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Sep Fri 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Vlad, we moved here b/c this is where our parents were, and b/c we love the beaches and topography and geographical location of the town. It is so beautiful!
How many high rise 40Bs do you figure it would take to make Marshfield considerably less beautiful? How long do you think it would take once the ball gets rolling and the precedent is set? 1yr ? 5 yrs ? What makes you think it wouldn't happen?

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Sep Fri 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Joseph wrote:
Sep Mon 04, 2017 12:12 pm
Lifetime wrote:
Sep Mon 04, 2017 12:04 pm
As usual, no citizen input. They have no need for the residents, the voters.
They pretend to take into consideration the residents. It's a farce.
They more voters stay away from the polls, the more divided the regular citizens become, the more resdients 'sell out' to a few crumbs from the 'leaders' - the more emboldened the Inner clique becomes.

I think there should be at least a couple of residents on the committee!!!Someone who doesn't work for the town.Surely a farce!!

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Sep Sat 09, 2017 9:11 am

Eric K, the finalist interviews are usually done in a public, I remember watching them when they hired Rocco back in the day. I don't fully understand why but they tend to do them on a Saturday morning (They did the same thing in a town I used to do business in).

I'm disappointed to see that there were no "Joe Six-Packs" or even school people on the search committee. There's a lot of open Administrator/Manager positions open: us, Scituate and now Hanover decided not to renew their Manager's contract

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Sat 09, 2017 9:44 am

Betcha two of the three finalists will be the candidates from Scituate and Hanover!

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sat 09, 2017 2:40 pm

Does The Ghost want Troy Clarkson to take over in Marshfield?

Will they nominate Clifford? Or, the "beloved" Jim Fitzgerald?

Stay tuned.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Sat 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Maybe not, he is still on contract in Hanover until April 2018. But Ms. Vinchessi is available, and they are on an accelerated track to hire someone this month to start in October. Also note that Neil Duggan formerly the Scituate building commissioner will be appointed by the Selectmen on Monday night to take Jerry O'Neil's place.
would like to know the back story on why Jerry was put on administrative leave.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sat 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I see that Vinchesi is reported to have resigned in July.

See: http://scituate.wickedlocal.com/news/20 ... -this-fall

"....Vinchesi had renewed her contract in January 2016 for another three years. Her salary was to increase to $172,700 this month under the contract.

Vinchesi came to Scituate with more than a decade of experience in municipal administration, having run town halls in the Western Massachusetts towns of Whatley and South Hadley before joining a state financial control board credited with bringing Springfield back from the brink of bankruptcy. Scituate was also facing hardships amid the great recession and had to lay off around 40 school employees a year after Vinchesi arrived."

They would have to KNOW that she would be the next Town Administrator for Marshfield if it was 'safe' for her to leave a $172K job in the middle of her contract. The Ghost nods his approval.

And notice that she was on a "state financial control board". This may indicate that she is in good graces with Beacon Hill Insiders - or is at least well known to them, including Stanley Rosenberg, Senate Pres., and Deb Goldberg, State Treasurer.

Keep in mind that Mikey and Jimmy are dutiful spittle bucket carriers and will publicly stay out of the game having been told what is to be done.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Sat 09, 2017 4:19 pm

I think she's a shoo in! but, we'll see.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sat 09, 2017 4:22 pm

More...

See: http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... gfiel.html

"Patricia A. Vinchesi, Springfield Finance Control Board deputy director, offered job in Scituate

Updated on December 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM Posted on June 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM

By Joe Deburro jdeburro@repub.com
SPRINGFIELD - Patricia A. Vinchesi, deputy director of the Springfield Finance Control Board, said on Wednesday she has been offered the job of town administrator for Scituate and expects to leave in the next several weeks.

"I have mixed feelings because I really liked working with the city and particularly the mayor and the staff," said Vinchesi, of Conway, who has been second in command at the control board since November 2007.

The tenure of the state-appointed control board expires on June 30. Situate is a seacoast town between Boston and Plymouth."

Why would she say that she has "mixed feelings"? Was she 'ordered' to go to Scituate?

I mean, we know how The Party controls patronage and shifts 'workers' around the state.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sat 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Seahag wrote:
Sep Sat 09, 2017 4:19 pm
I think she's a shoo in! but, we'll see.

Maybe that's why they said that the search committee could present 'three or, maybe one' candidate for the selectmens' consideration.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Sep Sat 09, 2017 5:36 pm

If she gets hired you have to wonder if Nancy Holt comes back also?

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Sep Sun 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Eric K wrote:
Sep Sat 09, 2017 5:36 pm
Wouldn't shock me, people may have disagreed with her but the pitchfork and torches weren't out for like with others. Who knows maybe she'll get the position she wanted in the first place...

Nothing against Mr. Dello Russo who I like, I just get the impression he won't be here long because he realizes what a mess he inherited and if I remember correctly he has at least a 90 minute one way commute on a good day. I'm sure he will find something closer to home and less messy.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Mon 11, 2017 9:32 am

Noel Harrison wrote:
Sep Sun 10, 2017 7:13 pm
Eric K wrote:
Sep Sat 09, 2017 5:36 pm
Wouldn't shock me, people may have disagreed with her but the pitchfork and torches weren't out for like with others. Who knows maybe she'll get the position she wanted in the first place...

Nothing against Mr. Dello Russo who I like, I just get the impression he won't be here long because he realizes what a mess he inherited and if I remember correctly he has at least a 90 minute one way commute on a good day. I'm sure he will find something closer to home and less messy.
Maybe the case. But he could move here.
There are plenty of houses for sale in Marshfield....but he probably doesn't want to have to pay the high taxes.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Look at who the two finalists are for the position of town administrator:

https://www.marshfield-ma.gov/sites/mar ... -21-17.pdf

Antonio Mazzucco

and.... drum roll please...

Mikey.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Gee, I am shocked to see Maresco’s name, really really shocked......NOT. I hear his wife has been telling everyone that he IS going to be the new administrator. :evil:

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Is this the emoji you wanted to use? :YMSICK:

Can you imagine Mikey doing hiring and firing in town?

Seems like Fitzgerald should not even be allowed to participate in the process. He should recuse himself.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:40 pm

I thought there were going to be three finalists?

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Swamp Yankee wrote:
Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:27 pm
Gee, I am shocked to see Maresco’s name, really really shocked......NOT. I hear his wife has been telling everyone that he IS going to be the new administrator. :evil:
Mr. Mazzucco, don't waste your time and gas money.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Sep Tue 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Joseph wrote:
Sep Tue 19, 2017 3:38 pm
Is this the emoji you wanted to use? :YMSICK:

YES!!!

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Tue 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Ugh. Say it isn't so.

What are his qualifications? Does he meet all of the criteria? Did they re-write the job description to meet what he has to offer?

This is not good, does not look good. I always champion for the Town, but this is not what I expected. Unless, of course, he is the best qualified candidate they received applications from. However, doubtful in my thought process anyway, there are dozens of towns looking for TA's, so lots of candidates applying, or so I would assume.

Ugh.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Sep Tue 19, 2017 8:46 pm

They were probably the only two vying for the job anyways.
Mazzucco is probably just for show and is being paid to show up.
Even if they were to hire Mazzucco how long do you think he'll last anyways. In comes Maresco as a temp. town administrator.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Tue 19, 2017 10:27 pm

So, they announce the interviews of the finalists on a Tuesday - after the deadline for the Mariner's Wednesday print.
Then, the interviews - and DECISION - are scheduled for TWO DAYS later, on Thursday.
Seems like a great way to avoid publicity and participation by the public.

They did the same thing when they picked Rocco. At that time the other finalist was also from Connecticut.
What are they gonna do to get Antonio to show up to help put on the show -- buy him a sub?

Is this what Mikey got out of the Cantwell decision to run for State Rep?

Will Mikey's job with the Secretary of State become a full-time no-show "job"?