Charter review committee proposals

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Seahag
Transient
Transient

Re: Charter review committee proposals

Post by Seahag » Oct Sat 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Well, I think there is going to be much more discussion on these issues in the upcoming planned meetings, at least I hope so.
Also, you can vote NO at the Special Town Meeting in January.
Right now, I would vote No. I do not want a Town Hall that is run by a strong TM, who has this kind of power over every single Board and Commission in the town. They say they did not intend to create a monster, and I believe they did not intend to, but unfortunately I think they have. In trying to make it right, they made it more wrong.
To answer your question about the 12 month v. 24 month waiting period, I believe they were under some pressure from the BOS, esp. Mike Bradley who didn't want any such rule, but decided to make it 12 months after deliberating on it among themselves. I really don't think they knew Mr. Maressco was going to be the candidate.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Sat 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Seahag wrote:To answer your question about the 12 month v. 24 month waiting period, I believe they were under some pressure from the BOS, esp. Mike Bradley who didn't want any such rule, but decided to make it 12 months after deliberating on it among themselves. I really don't think they knew Mr. Maressco was going to be the candidate.
That's funny...everyone else knew it was going to be Mikey.

Something's not right here....Dispense a cruza' !!!
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sun 08, 2017 9:20 am

Whatever. I don't know who knew, but I do know that Mike Bradley "argued" (his words) with them on this when he was before the CRC this past spring. And he argued with them the other night at the BOS meeting as well on the same subject. It is going to present some problems for the timetable to get MM on board that's for sure. Think about it, if the CRC knew why would they have included the 12 month clause at all, they would have just left it out. They were seriously trying to avoid any hint of cronyism. Now there's a problem for the town b/c it interferes with the timetable to get MM onboard. And might mean we have to have an interim TM at an extra added cost to the town, as you pointed out.

Eric, maybe you can get Mr. Faye, the seaweed guy, on your show - it would make for a fun, interesting debate! He sure was not happy when he was dismissed from the Selectmen's meeting by Mike Bradley the other night.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Sun 08, 2017 10:38 am

Talk about cronyism, don't forget all of these Charter Committee people were hand picked and they will do what they are told no matter what is said in public. To say they didn’t know that Maresco was the chosen one is baloney. The only way to stop all this is to get out and vote NO at the special town meeting. Regardless of the excuses they use, this should be voted on at the annual town meeting, not a special meeting in January.

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Oct Sun 08, 2017 11:01 am

If you watch the meetings, it was the Boys and Girls club syndicate who were pushing the shortening or total elimination of the waiting period since MM was their guy from the start. I've never dealt directly with MM but friends and family that have say he's a polarizing figure. While I think some of the proposed charter changes will benefit the town but people will vote against them because of who the selectmen put in power.

What they should have done is either have Mr. Longo stay or hire an interim TA/TM but in their combined dislike of Rocco and salivating to put MM in they have shot themselves in the foot.

Joseph, I know you talk about the regime and insiders, there's different types of insiders. I know some "insiders" and some of them aren't happy with the hiring. Get the jumbo bag of popcorn because it's going to be fun to watch to see which blood feuds rise to the surface and scores settled. There's going to be some interesting bedfellows.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sun 08, 2017 11:49 am

I actually don't think there is too much of any value in the new version. Mr. Gibson said on Saturday that they did not want to create a kingdom with a concentration of power at the top (and a fiefdom down below!), but that's what they did!
I like the thought that what they should 'a' could 'a' done was hire an interim TM or have asked Rocco to stay on until MM was free to run as a TA, but they didn't. Makes the interview process we watched a few weeks ago even more disheartening. Now there's a real mess on hand for the town to sort through.
As you guys have said, we can vote NO. We don't have to accept the proposal.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Sun 08, 2017 12:05 pm

The biggest problem we have is getting people to attend the meeting and vote. A good many of them don’t have a clue what is going on in town and the YES people will be out in force.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sun 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Okay, but the STM for the vote on the Charter isn't until January. We still have three more discussion meetings coming up in the next few weeks where people can go and ask questions and talk about why they don't like it. And Fall Town Meeting on the 16th just a week away! Go. Go to all of the meetings. Don't give up the ship!
However, I did just look at the Board of Directors at the Boys and Girls Club and it includes Dan Burke, Jim Fitzgerald, Chief Tavares and the Executive Committee's President is Bill Bowers and Michael Maresco is Vice President. Egad, I did not know this. So, maybe I would have to admit that a few of these pertinent folks did know MM was looking to become the next TA/TM!

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Sun 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Yes I understand the meeting to vote on the charter isn’t until January and I think that is a terrible time to have it! Also, you can go and ask all the questions you want and voice your opinion but don’t expect to change their minds, they know what they want. Most people wanted an elected Charter committee but you saw how that went. I’m glad you now see what we have known all along, these people are connected and appointed to push an adjenda with Maresco at the helm.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Sun 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Everybody keep it in mind that Maresco is just a whitewasher, a 'fixer' and a go-between for powers at the state level. He talks and acts like he's a big-time political player - when in actuality he's just a tool for the Massachusetts Branch of the Globalists/bankers/Chamber of Commerce. And Mikey is a big Hillary supporter. That's why people like Bridges love him.
(I only said that name once. I think like 'Beetlejuice', you have to say it three times to make him reappear.)

Hand this town over to Mikey and GUARANTEED you will have the real-life version of the creation of Pottersville.
I don't pretend to know what is in his heart - but from what I have seen and heard - he's no good for this town.

We are talking about an amoral bunch of over-achieving, posturing, self-important dilettantes.

And we are supposed to let them take over the town and create and dissolve positions and boards and committees whenever they feel like it?

Keep in mind also that they are listening. The Draft Charter is a kind of Trial Balloon which is drawing some fire. Accordingly, they will seek to work deals with people like Bradley and tweek the Charter in order to gather votes to push the crucial changes that will put them in power and transform this town FOREVER. (Bradley is surely looking for some 'help' with his problems right now. Mikey and the Dembots can probably 'fix' a few things for him. And, there may be some people that will go along just to get the best deals that they can for their retirements and benefits. Times are tough and many people are desperate. It is amazing how tough it can be to get by these days. But, to do the Right Thing for yourself, the children and the Constitution you have to take a stand.

Good people: take heart and hold your ground. All hands on deck.

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Sun 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Ok
This is one way of communicating to people about what we can expect at this STM maybe to be held in January.
The next step is getting those people to town meeting. In my signature drive to call a meeting before BOS ( in regards to audit that is not taking place on the enterprise accounts that was approved by the voters at town meeting ) some people are aware of what's going on. Then we start talking about town meeting and attending. It only been a few people but was told they will go to the next one and try and get some friends and family to go as well. People are pissed about the spending in town. They feel they have no say on it even at town meeting. I tell them if you go and bring someone with you or more you can you can make a difference esp. when it requires a 2/3 vote. Enough people can kill a majority vote. The other thing people were drawn too was the upgrade to 5 selectmen. I told them it does not mean you will get someone from your area elected. It could be the same crowd or people from one area that get elected and what did that change. I had a point they say.
I also tell them that if it was not for an elected D.P.W. board I would not be out here on a petition drive. Due to the fact the Mr. John Cusick was elected he had a platform to bring this to the attention to the ratepayers.
If it was an appointed D.P.W. board the town would still be raiding those accounts today.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sun 08, 2017 7:42 pm

I am pretty sure at this point in time that the Selectmen had no right to hire Mr. Maresco to be the next Town Administrator, knowing full well that the CRC had an Article in their proposal that precluded anyone who was currently serving on a town board or commission from applying for or becoming a candidate for another town position. At the very least, they have initiated a pretty big hurdle for the townspeople to overcome this decision, and at the very worst some kind of legal action. What were they thinking?!

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Mon 09, 2017 7:49 am

What were 'they' thinking?
Well, among other things, they were thinking about how to make the changes in the quickest, easiest way.
That's why there is a rush to push a January Special Town Meeting.
That's right - a Special Town Meeting in the middle of winter on the tail end of the Holidays.
That way, they ensure that the fewest number of people are paying attention and, the fewest number of people are likely or able to get to the meeting. Especially, they don't want the 'older, conservative, long-term residents to make it to the meeting.

They are also throwing around lots of smoke and garbled information.
What is the affect of this?
How it works is that the truth becomes hidden.
Human Nature being what it is, many people, who are busy with vacations, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years' and other holidays let their laziness and desire to 'trust the government' take over. They don't want to be bothered with 'politics' while there is so much going on with friends and families.
So, there is a tendency for some people to say: "Oh, why should I bother to go. They are going to get what they want, anyway. And they're not going to do or get away with anything evil. This is America, afterall."

SUCH AN ATTITUDE IS FOOLISH!

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Mon 09, 2017 9:31 am

I don't think they are putting out a lot of garbled information at all. I have watched most of the CRC's meetings over the past two years, and these people have been totally involved and educated and sincere in their efforts. Mr. Gibson and Mr. Bowers who were on the radio show with McNamara Financial on Sat. morning, were completely forthcoming. I do think they may have not been able to see the forest for the trees and it is only now that it becomes evident that some of their decisions may have consequences they didn't envision at the time. Gibson said they did not intend to create a Kingdom, but unfortunately they did! I don't know how they are going to handle the 12 month anti-cronyism issue, which the BOS is really pushing back on.
I think instead of name calling, people need to stay on the positive side and Go To the Public Forums for Residents being held on three different dates in both parts of town - North and South - and in the daytime at the Senior Center. GO.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Mon 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Come on seahag, you can't possibly think that those who were appointed to this committee did not have an agenda or instructions on what to do.
Between the selectmens meeting for town admin. and the charter review the one person who stands out at those meetings is Steve Robbins. One has to wonder if this charter change is being directed by him and would benefit him of some sort. One benefit would be the elimination of the D.P.W. board. No more John Cusick.

If the town really wanted to be on the up and up then they would have held elections.
I look at it as a dog and pony show and those on the committee are willing to take any blame on behalf of moving forward with the agenda.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Mon 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Mr. Gibson and Mr. Bowers who were on the radio show with McNamara Financial on Sat. morning, were completely forthcoming.
Completely forthcoming? Were they? Then why did the CRC meetings begin immediately looking into moving town government toward town manager rather than looking into how our current "Open Town Meeting" could be preserved, modified, and/or reformed. I can remember reading right here in past threads of this forum how many towns in New England hold a much more effective traditional "Open Town Meeting" than what we do here in Marshfield.

If we look into this forum's archives we should also find how both Mikey and Fitzy, in all the years they were selectmen, vigorously put down the idea of a 5 man BOS. You should be able to find early posts by Fitzy stating this in no uncertain terms. Neither Fitzy or his buddy Mikey were ever very much for any kind of reform whatsoever. Now all of a sudden they are all for a 5 man Board of Selectmen and all sorts of dramatic change. Why now?

Sorry, I just have no pity for these members of the CRC who you have mentioned several times. They worked so hard on this charter review government change, you say, when it looks so obvious they were there only to expedite the transition to town manager and not look into how our current Open Town Meeting may better serve the residents of the town. That is not to say they did not pay due lip service to Open Town Meeting. I imagine that did happen. It is to say there was a set agenda from the outset.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Mon 09, 2017 7:18 pm

To Vlad Rap, I'm so glad you have weighed in and brought up the subject of why they didn't discuss making TM more representative without or with going to an actual Rep TM. Mr. Gibson did allude to King Phillip's War and the full meaning of living in New England and loving Open Town Meeting.
I was going to write about this on the forum but felt insecure mentioning it, b/c I thought no one was on board with this concept. I do think that if we looked at the current state of how we run Open TM, where hardly anyone comes to anymore to vote, and went to something else more representative of the whole town, we would be in a better place to make meaningful decisions about our town. I was reluctant, b/c of the backlash!
I think it would make more sense to move to a Representative TM than to go to a 5 person BOS, who may or may not represent the entire town.

Hopefully you and others will go to the public forums being held by the CRC and will speak up. I do think they will listen. This is not a slam dunk.

And right now a rerun of the 10/2 BOS meeting is on MCTV, and they ratified MM's contract as a new hire as TA in the town, to start on 10/30. I clearly remember Ms. McNamara-Reed asked if we knew what the terms of his contract are. I'm not sure why she didn't know, or Mr. Gibson or Mr. Bowers.
This needs much more discussion.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Mon 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Sure, Mr. Gibson talks about keeping Town Meeting.
But, how much power will Town Meeting have in the future if the new Town Manager position that they want to create has so much power?

A poem...Town Charter Change...by Mr. Gibson

We know what we want in the Charter.
What the people want is a non-starter.
Please don't mess with us.
The end.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Mon 09, 2017 8:45 pm

is there a poem attached to your post Joe?

the Open TM as we now experience it, is moot. Nobody goes, you know that! you keep asking for people to go, they don't. One percent of the voting public attends TM. So, therefore, that is the problem, but you insist upon keeping it Open. Why??????? Makes no sense to me. No one is represented. Every Article becomes a Yes vote.
And Pls, watch the Advisory Board's meeting, it is unreal the cavalier way they deliberate and discuss spending our $100M budget. And no one dares speak up to the Chair, and the uncomfortableness is very real to a listener. He just wants to scoot everything along, don't spend any time deliberating this.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Mon 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Without Open Town Meeting we would not have been able to fight outrageous 40B projects.
Without Open Town Meeting we would not have been able to bring added attention and exposure and action to MANY issues.
That is why I believe it is the ultimate goal of this 'bunch' to do away with Town meeting altogether.

But first things first - they want to GET CONTROL OF THE DPW Enterprise accounts and services fees.

If they could get ONE THING right now - that would be it. They will use a 5-man board of selectmen as the 'bait.'

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Tue 10, 2017 2:21 am

Keep in mind it appears that they are recycling through people to run for office. If they are having a hard time recruiting people to keep there agenda in full swing then what better way than to eliminate elected boards. Minimize their exposure to people running for office that don't fall in line with their philosophy. Losing control of a board is not an option for them right now. If John Cusick wins next year ( if he runs ) then there worst fears come true. The next guy is vulnerable and he may not want to run for office again.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 10, 2017 9:23 am

Joseph, where does it say in the proposed Charter review that "they" are planning to go to anything other than Open TM??? It doesn't, and Mr. Gibson reiterated that on Saturday.
And, while you and a few others may have stood up and spoke about the topics you name esp. the 40B projects which you, for some reason loathe, it didn't change a thing.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Tue 10, 2017 11:19 am

I believe that about 1,000 voters showed up to push the selectmen to fight the Beacon 40B project in Rexhame.
Throughout that battle votes were taken on that matter - which led to actions that helped protect the environment and control, then 'scuttle' but ultimately downsize that horrendous project. Votes crucial to the saving of neighborhoods from other proposed 40Bs were taken at town meeting. If you haven't been paying attention - too bad.

Because of how moderators Robinson and Fitzgerald have run town meetings and the shenanigans of the 'Insiders' many people have stayed away from town meetings.
But the voters still have Open Town Meeting as an outlet to hold the Regime accountable and have issues of importance addressed.
Now, there appears to be a push to dilute some of the powers of Open Town Meeting.

The current Charter, Article 6 includes:

"ARTICLE 6
GENERAL ORGANIZATION
6-1 General
(A) Subject to the Massachusetts General Laws and the provisions of this charter, the town
meeting may by by-law create, establish, organize, reorganize, consolidate or abolish any town board,
commission, committee, department, office or agency in whole or in part as they deem necessary or
advisable and shall prescribe the function of all such entities.
(B) All appointments and promotion of town officers and employees shall be made solely on the
basis of merit and fitness demonstrated by examination or other evidence of competence and
suitability.
(C) No board, commission, committee or study group shall be appointed until the appointing
authority clearly sets forth the objectives, duties, authority and term of such body, unless such
information is contained in the legislation establishing such body. The foregoing shall not apply to
such bodies existing at the adoption of this charter, but the appointing authority shall give such
guidance and direction as any such existing body may reasonable request. ...."

However, the Charter Review Committee (McDonough-Robbins anti-Voter Group) seems to be proposing that the Town Manager will create and dissolve boards and committees.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 10, 2017 11:41 am

I don't like this Article either. Maybe you will talk about it a little more on your show tomorrow evening. I'm not clear how this impacts whether or not we have Open TM.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 10, 2017 11:54 am

If you were able to get 1,000 people out to TM for the Ocean Shores project, can you pls rally these people to come out again next Monday night? or to go to the public meetings and ask their questions and if they don't like the answers, to Vote No.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Tue 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Seahag,
Why don't you put your two feet to work and start knocking on doors. That's the best way to do it.
Make up a flyer and hand it out.

headforthehills
Tourist
Tourist

Post by headforthehills » Oct Tue 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Seahag wrote:
Oct Tue 10, 2017 11:54 am
If you were able to get 1,000 people out to TM for the Ocean Shores project, can you pls rally these people to come out again next Monday night? or to go to the public meetings and ask their questions and if they don't like the answers, to Vote No.
The need for people at TM will be in January, when a lot people that live in town won't be here ( retirees go where its warm and I am sure this was not thought of by the CRC) .

This is not on next weeks STM warrant. i can almost guarantee you they will let no one talk about it then.

People need to be at the CRC meetings that are being held. I think there is one Thursday night. let them know what you think.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Tue 10, 2017 6:06 pm

The need for people is at every town meeting. Ones that are not a rubber stamp for the town leadership.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Tue 10, 2017 6:08 pm

headforthehills wrote:
Oct Tue 10, 2017 5:33 pm

This is not on next weeks STM warrant. i can almost guarantee you they will let no one talk about it then.

Beyond the scope!!

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 10, 2017 6:31 pm

But, but there are Important Articles on the Warrant for 10/16, namely the issue of the old Hancock Paint bldg. and selling or leasing it to Mike Bradley's friend, for a private enterprise proposal to buy or lease maybe for $1, this beautiful historic building at the entrance of our town, as a home for 6 *perhaps' homeless vets who would have a clinical case worker on site 5 days a week to help the vets, who will then be back on the street for the weekend, on their own with all of their issues. Where is the Historical Society??? Talk about a dog and pony show at the BOS meeting?! This one took the cake.

And, the proposals by Patrick, our erstwhile Town Treasurer/Collector soon to become the CFO of this town, making huge waves on late water and sewer tax bills and saying he has no problem liening (sp?) a person's home or taking it away is my sense. Why is he even involved in this process, when the still functioning DPW Board has its own financial person to take care of this?

That's what comes to my mind without reading over the Warrant at this time. Please, folks, go to Town Meeting, listen to all of the Board and Commission meetings on MCTV to keep current on what's happening.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 10, 2017 6:37 pm

sorry, used the wrong adjective 'erstwhile' in describing the current Town Collector, Patrick Della Russo. Erstwhile means former, he is the current Collector extraordinare. (I don't know where the spell check button is on this site!).