Charter review committee proposals

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Charter review committee proposals

Post by Swamp Yankee » May Fri 19, 2017 4:21 pm

From the Mariner:
In Marshfield, the Charter Review Committee is proposing to change the number of members on the Board of Selectmen and to create the role of a Town Manager.

Vice-Chairman of the Committee, Don Gibson, said with feedback from the community, they’re working article by article.

He said they’re hoping to make Marshfield’s government more centralized.

“So it’s more responsive, it’s more efficient, and more financially accountable,” said Gibson.

One proposed change is to remove the Board of Public Works and move the role to the selectmen. The charter would then increase the number of selectmen from three to five.

“The surveys were strongly voiced in this regard; that the selectmen be increased to five,” said Gibson.

As the town grows, Gibson said that added complexity in government would need more members. As for the Board of Public Works, he said the committee was looking at process, function, and organization.

“We felt that there was a constant tension between the Board of Public Works, the Town Administrator, and the Board of Selectmen on key financial issues,” said Gibson. “Issues that affected the financial integrity of the town, our bond rating, and a host of other very important financial matters.”

With the expanded Board of Selectmen, he said the committee hopes to keep the Board of Public Works under one umbrella.

The committee also worked out details on the creation of a Town Manager position. Currently, the town has a Town Administrator.

“This position envisions someone who would have more duties and responsibilities than even a strong Town Administrator would,” said Gibson.

Gibson said the public is welcome to attend and weigh in on their proposals.

“It should be a long process because we’re talking about basically changing the face of Marshfield government,” said Gibson. “The Town Charter is the equivalent of our Constitution, and we want to make sure that our recommendations are well-thought and well-considered.”

The next Charter Review Committee meeting will be at 7 p.m. on June 1 at the Seth Ventress Auditorium

http://959watd.com/blog/2017/05/marshfi ... selectmen/

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Re: Charter review committee proposals

Post by Seahag » May Fri 19, 2017 5:24 pm

So if that's the case, and I don't know where you got this information, then that's why Steve Robbins went over to DPW Board, b/c he will automatically become the 4th or 5th Selectman when that change occurs.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Fri 19, 2017 5:32 pm

I apologize, Swamp Yankee, I see that your source :oops: is the link stated in your post, which I just read, after I posted the reply. :oops:

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » May Fri 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Actually I made a mistake. I mentioned the Mariner at the top of the post when it should have been WATD.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Fri 19, 2017 7:32 pm

I hope that doesn't mean John Vallier will also go to BOS.
Boy, did we get taken if that's the case......

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » May Sat 20, 2017 8:21 am

One would hope that new selectmen could only be added by a town wide vote. No way should Robbins and Vallier automatically be added to the B.O.S.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » May Sat 20, 2017 3:58 pm

“We felt that there was a constant tension between the Board of Public Works, the Town Administrator, and the Board of Selectmen on key financial issues,” said Gibson....
And this 'tension' is a bad thing???
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » May Sun 21, 2017 2:36 pm

It is important for everyone to get involved and be ready to react to the scheme being cooked up by the Democrats/Chamber of Commerce alliance.

They may try to sell a package deal whereby we could get 5 selectmen - but have it wrapped together with a Town Manager form of government and the elimination of certain elected boards, committees and positions and making them appointed positions.

The Charter Review Committee - A.K.A. Robbin's Raiders - thinks that we want a 5-person board of selectmen SO BADLY that some people may vote for the changes in such a package - even if it means the foolish concession/surrender of the elected positions.

Their preparation involves determining how many votes will be needed at town meeting or the polls and lining up support through the government workers (police, fire, schools) and hangers-on (beta orbiters). In this latter mix they will be looking for anyone that benefits some way from cozying-up to town officials for favors or favorable arrangements. I could rattle off a list of names.

They have already begun sweetening the pot by giving the school department MORE than it asks for and helping Tavares with his pet Harbormaster/Marina Complex pork-barrel project.

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Mon 22, 2017 1:28 pm

Why do you think the harbormaster building is a "pork barrel" project? :?: :?:

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » May Mon 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I am sure it's not the end of it with sweetening pot.
I can think of one group who they will entice only that in the end they will pay. By then those who rigged it will be laughing at them and it will be to late.
I have a new name for the dept. that Chief Tavares over sees as he is also part of the problem in town.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Mon 22, 2017 5:37 pm

does anyone know what Eric is trying to say???? what is 'sweetning pot'???? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » May Mon 22, 2017 9:52 pm

If making the DPW board appointed (not elected) will increase government 'efficiency' - then why not make the school committee appointed?

Oh, yeah, that would be the end of 'charter change.' LOL!

The Charter Review Committee - on which the 'school department' is OVER-represented - knows that they will need to USE the 'schools' and 'school parents' to RAM changes to town government down everyones' throats. I would bet that the 'schools' will be promised unending budget hikes in exchange for their support at town meeting and at the polls to ram the charter changes through.

It's The regime's way of creating division in town. Then they win and everyone else loses - as their control of power is forever unchallenged.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » May Mon 22, 2017 9:55 pm

pork barrel
n. Slang
A government project or appropriation that yields jobs or other benefits to a specific locale and patronage opportunities to its political representative.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pork+barrel

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Tue 23, 2017 10:10 am

I do know what a 'pork barrel' is noun, slang! but I don't know why you think the harbormaster building is one. I don't. The work will go out to bid.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » May Tue 23, 2017 10:26 am

The Charter Review Committee - A.K.A. Robbin's Raiders - thinks that we want a 5-person board of selectmen SO BADLY that some people may vote for the changes in such a package - even if it means the foolish concession/surrender of the elected positions.
I'd be really wary about trading a board of even ten stuffed suits for depleted rights for town residents. That is particularly true when giving up those rights, means allowing a town manager to make unilateral decisions about town owned property and town zoning without the input of residents through Town Meeting.

I used to be all for Charter Review until I realized that in a one party state, like Massachusetts, the realignment of power never works out to the benefit of the residents. What would be our recourse when things start going wrong? Complain to the Attorney General's office? What a sad joke.

We need a real way to hold officials legally responsible written into any Charter change and I don't think that is possible.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Thu 07, 2017 8:52 am

Wonder why the Charter Review Committee had to have a 9 A.M. meeting?

See:
https://www.marshfield-ma.gov/sites/mar ... 090717.pdf

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Sep Thu 07, 2017 7:36 pm

why don't you ask them why?
I would guess it probably had something to do with the member's schedules. They have given up a huge amount of their personal time to serve on this board for the past 2-1/2 years, they are all volunteers. They deserve our thanks, not criticism.

Noel Harrison
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Noel Harrison » Sep Sat 09, 2017 8:59 am

If you watched the last meeting,It's the sub-commttee who is working on the putting the changes to paper discussed at the meeting and creating a clean sheet they work from

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Sun 01, 2017 8:53 am

The Charter Review Committee will meet with the selectmen Monday night (7:40 P.M.) October 2 at town hall to "present" the Draft new version of the Town Charter.

GET INFORMED ABOUT THEIR METHODS AND OBJECTIVES AND GET READY TO FIGHT BACK.

The committee, (AKA the Chamber of commerce sub-committee to manipulate town government to pave Marshfield for promotion of crony capitalism, silence opposition and make buck$), was appointed (confirmed according to who they were told to put on it), by the selectmen with egregious and bald-faced disregard for the People's Voice.

So, get ready for the dog 'n pony show. They are lining up support from an impressive array of special interests* to ram the changes to the Charter through the easiest, fastest 'approval' process. The Voice Of The People be damned.

They put on good theater to this point - pretending to listen to folks.

*special interests means the school administration, Chamber of Commerce - and all the organizations that it and the involved 'personalities' touches including Boys & Girls Club, the airport gang, youth sports, etc.

NOTICE BELOW IN THE AGENDA THAT IT APPEARS THAT THEY INTEND TO PUSH FOR TOWN MEETING APPROVAL THROUGH A "SPECIAL TOWN MEETING". THAT MEANS THAT THEY ARE BETTING THAT ON THAT PARTICULAR NIGHT THEY CAN OUT-MOBILIZE ANY OPPOSITION TO THEIR NEW VERSION OF TOWN CONTROL.

See: https://www.marshfield-ma.gov/sites/mar ... 217rev.pdf

NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING
TOWN OF MARSHFIELD
CHARTER REVIEW COMMITTEE
JOINT MEETING WITH THE MARSHFIELD BOARD OF SELECTMEN
DATE OF MEETING: Monday, October 2, 2017
TIME: 7:20 PM
PLACE: Marshfield Town Hall – Selectman’s Hearing Room
870 Moraine Street, Marshfield
AGENDA
1. CALL TO ORDER

2. ANNOUNCEMENTS
Meeting is being recorded by MCTV

3. APPOINTMENT(S) / NEW BUSINESS
Marshfield Board of Selectmen
Update of BOS on CRC activities
Presentation of Charter Review Committee’s Draft Town Charter outlining recommended
changes to the existing Town Charter.

Timetable going forward
Draft Charter to Secretary of State’s office
McNamara on Money – Saturday, October 7th – 8-10 AM – WATD

Community Forum Dates
Thursday, October 12th at 7:00 PM – Location TBD
Tuesday, October 24th at 3:30 PM at the Senior Center
Thursday, October 26th at 7:00 PM – Location TBD
************* Establish Special Town Meeting date - TBD****************

4. ACCEPTANCE OF MINUTES
September 21, 2017
5. NEXT MEETING
October 12, 2017 – Community Forum – Location & Time TBD
6. ADJOURNMENT
NOTE: ITEMS MAY BE TAKEN OUT OF ORDER

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Mon 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Listening to the Charter Review Committee presenting the Draft 'New" Charter to the selectmen.

DISASTOR!!!

They want 5 selectmen, up from 3. BUT- only if they can completely abolish the DPW Board.
Not even an appointed DPW Board!!!

They say/admit 5 selectmen are needed because some section of the town feels 'disenfranchised.' BUT are using this as leverage to kill the DPW Board.

DIABOLICAL!!!

Other bits so far...

Selectman Bradley says that we 'have a great town administrator' AND 'that we are getting another one.'

But Mikey has never been an administrator or manager.

The proposed Charter Changes also increase the power of the Advisory Board - while also boosting a town financial officer.

Can you say fustercluck?

It seems that the Charter review Committee perceives a dichotomy between what they call "professionals" and elected personnel - as if there is an unbridgeable gap, an unresolvable difference between the two groups.

There will be public forums on the Draft Charter - but the only usage of electronic media is on Alyssa Reids' "McNamara On Money' radio show on WATD. No usage or appearance on a TV talk show.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 03, 2017 10:48 am

Don Gibson also said, I think anyway, I will have to listen to the tape again - that they only want a 5 member BOS if and when we abolish the DPW Board of three and then the plan is to :shock: :shock: 'move two of the members of that board onto the BOS!

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Oct Tue 03, 2017 11:13 am

Seahag wrote:
Oct Tue 03, 2017 10:48 am
Don Gibson also said, I think anyway, I will have to listen to the tape again - that they only want a 5 member BOS if and when we abolish the DPW Board of three and then the plan is to :shock: :shock: 'move two of the members of that board onto the BOS!
Oh,and we know which 2 members that will be!!!!! :roll:

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Tue 03, 2017 11:57 am

If that is the case in the plans to appoint instead of electing 2 more bos members then that should be a wake up call to everyone. Esp. If they an on picking those two who ( not Cusick ) are refusing to enact the audit that was approved by the legislative body at town meeting.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Tue 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Eric K wrote:
Oct Tue 03, 2017 11:57 am
If that is the case in the plans to appoint instead of electing 2 more bos members then that should be a wake up call to everyone. Esp. If they an on picking those two who ( not Cusick ) are refusing to enact the audit that was approved by the legislative body at town meeting.
Based on what Galvin said, there would be a special election during the summer. The election of the two new selectmen would trigger the dissolution of the DPW Board.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Tue 03, 2017 3:56 pm

so, hopefully, I didn't hear it correctly, it got a bit confusing at that point and several people were talking at once...
I am going to listen to the tape.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Tue 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Is there a reason for a "special election" to be held during the summer instead of the usual time in May?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Wed 04, 2017 8:12 am

Eric, you need to take the time to sit down and watch and listen to the entire vimeo on MCTV website instead of jumping to a conclusion or asking a question that has already been answered by the CRC on the tape.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Wed 04, 2017 6:05 pm

Can't find the Draft of the proposed changes to the Town Charter.

Anybody seen it?

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Wed 04, 2017 6:18 pm

I would sit down when I have the time and that's not now.
No jumping to conclusions as I put an " if " at the beginning of my post.
So, if someone can kindly answer my that would be great.
Joe,
You'll see it after you vote on it.

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Oct Wed 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Even if you are a flatliner government class lackey you have to wonder what marxist Mikey means for your town and the future of your kids. It is not rocket science.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Thu 05, 2017 8:05 am

There is a reason for the special election and it was stated at the combined BOS/CRC meeting the other night.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Thu 05, 2017 9:37 am

The survey results showed that the one thing that people wanted- if there were to be any changes to the Charter - was to increase the number of selectmen from 3 to 5.

https://www.marshfield-ma.gov/sites/mar ... 6_2016.pdf

Also, the survey showed that the vast majority were AGAINST making boards appointed.

So what does the 'charter review committee' (The McDonough/Robbins Committee to kill the DPW Board) do?

They recognize that the desire for 5 selectmen is rooted in the public's feelings of disenfranchisement and the desire for INCREASED resident REPRESENTATION and PARTICIPATION. And, so, they are holding this measure HOSTAGE in order to dissolve the DPW Board and get their hands on the Enterprise Funds that are managed by the DPW Board.

Everyone has known ALL ALONG that the McDonough/Robbins committee is all about getting rid of that 'uppity, independent DPW Board' so that they can go back to skimming the Water-Sewer-Trash fees and gain added patronage jobs control.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Thu 05, 2017 2:06 pm

My question is; when they hold this special town meeting to vote on the charter changes will we be able to make amendments or will it be a straight yes or no vote?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Thu 05, 2017 4:00 pm

The charter review proposal is just that at this time, it is a draft proposal, which was presented to the Selectmen on Monday night, 10/2. Believe me, two of the Selectmen - Mr. Bradley and Mr. Fitzgerald - had a whole lot of questions and Mr. Bradley disagrees with the committee on the process of giving the Town Manager full hiring and firing decisions. You, Everyone, needs to take the time to listen to the vimeo or watch it on MCTV, there is a lot to understand and absorb.
The CRC is holding three public forums at which time you can ask your questions and hopefully, voice your opinions.
The CRC has done a really good job for the last 22 months trying to sort this all out, and deserves our respect for doing the job. But, there is still a lot to be worked out,in my opinion.

headforthehills
Tourist
Tourist

Post by headforthehills » Oct Thu 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Swamp Yankee wrote:
Oct Thu 05, 2017 2:06 pm
My question is; when they hold this special town meeting to vote on the charter changes will we be able to make amendments or will it be a straight yes or no vote?
There will be amending allowed. How could there not ?

headforthehills
Tourist
Tourist

Post by headforthehills » Oct Thu 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Seahag wrote:
Oct Thu 05, 2017 4:00 pm
The charter review proposal is just that at this time, it is a draft proposal, which was presented to the Selectmen on Monday night, 10/2. Believe me, two of the Selectmen - Mr. Bradley and Mr. Fitzgerald - had a whole lot of questions and Mr. Bradley disagrees with the committee on the process of giving the Town Manager full hiring and firing decisions. You, Everyone, needs to take the time to listen to the vimeo or watch it on MCTV, there is a lot to understand and absorb.
The CRC is holding three public forums at which time you can ask your questions and hopefully, voice your opinions.
The CRC has done a really good job for the last 22 months trying to sort this all out, and deserves our respect for doing the job. But, there is still a lot to be worked out,in my opinion.

They were given the directive to get rid of the public work committee before they even started

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Thu 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Maybe, I don't know, but that is your opinion. But that is not the only reason those folks gave up almost 2 years of their life. As I said, there are a whole lot of questions, this is not the final form, and it is not a slam dunk. They tackled way more than the DPW Board, and are giving away pretty much all of the power to the Town Manager, if that is what we vote to do, to make the newly appointed TA a "strong TM". It's pretty scary, that's why I say, pls, listen to the tape or watch it on MCTV, and attend the forums to discuss.
Thursday, Oct. 12 7 pm Martinson Elementary School
Tuesday, Oct. 24 3:30 @ the Senior Center
Thursday, Oct. 26 @ St. Ann's 7 pm.
Go.
Something else to watch - the Advisory Board meeting on 10/2. and the lame way they deliberate and discuss all of the important issues on the warrant for the STM, esp, the article regarding the old Hancock Paint building, aka North Grammar School way back in the day. The article which is very flimsy and gives no details, talks about selling or leasing this beautiful old historic building to a private enterprise 501 c3, friend of Michael Bradley's, to turn it into housing for 6 homeless vets. It's a Private Enterprise folks. And, before you crucify me, my husband was a Vet and served for two years in the active military during the Cuban crisis in the early 1960's.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Oct Sat 07, 2017 5:48 pm

So, obviously no one has any interest in writing about the CRC's draft proposal presented last Monday to the BOS. And discussed this morning from 8 to 10 am on WATD with Ms. McNamara and Don Gibson and Bill Bowers. Or, I'm being iced out by the folks who would rather try to change the subject back to the airport's 62 pages of discussion. However, I am not going away.
Several interesting things came up this morning - one being that Mr. Bowers clarified that they are not planning to shift two of the current DPW Board people to fulfill the two new seats which will become available when the DPW Board is abolished. Mr. Fitzgerald muddied the waters at the BOS meeting the other night when he said this and that is what I did not get and talked about on this forum. Mr. Gibson and Mr. Bowers both talked a lot about Article 4 of their proposal and cronyism, meaning that they do not want the BOS to hire a TA who can become a TM without proper vetting, and that includes and means that the position cannot be filled by someone who has served on a town board or commission during the past 12 months. That is the argument Mr. Bradley was having with the CRC the other evening, b/c in point of fact, Mr. Maressco has served and is serving currently on the Board of Assessors. They, the CRC, does not seem to have up to date information on what the length of term is in the contract being negotiated with Mr. Maressco, and may mean that we have to hire an interim TM to take up the slack until Mr. Maressco becomes legally and ethically available to fulfill the position the BOS recently appointed him to, which to some of us, the other candidate seemed eminently more qualified than Mr. Maressco except he said that the town's biggest asset was it's beaches instead of the people.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Oct Sat 07, 2017 8:05 pm

I had a chance to watch the selectmens meeting in regards to CRC and a couple of other matters prior to the CRC meeting.
I hope that makes you happy seahag.
The gentlemen before the board in regards to the beach/seaweed matter was interesting. Like to learn more on that matter.
Many concerns have arisen from the CRC meeting. I reached out to have 2 CRC members to come on show. I figure that if they are doing one show in town then they should consider doing others upon request. I will try and listen to this morning's show sometime.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Sat 07, 2017 9:06 pm

I watched the CRC in front of the selectmen.
I listened to Gibson and Bowes on WATD.
I have seen bits and pieces of the proposed charter changes.

These people will bend the rules of law and decency in order to get what they want.

On the issue of 'anti-cronyism' it sounded to me that they said that they originally wanted a 24-month waiting period for a former elected official to be able to move into the position of town manager - BUT - that they 'compromised' and made the waiting period 12 months. WHY, you may ask?

Well, it sounds like they knew Mikey was going to get the job as administrator. But what Gibson said out of one side of his mouth was that the CRC did NOT know that Mikey was in line for the job. Do you believe that? If you do, I also would like to sell you the map to the pirates' treasure buried by the town pier. (Hint: it's near where the new Marshfield Naval Forces Headquarters is planned.).

But no matter. Gibson also said that they can get around the problem of Mikey's dilemma by simply appointing an "interim town manager" to run-out the 12-month clock. Thus, Mikey would be on the payroll as a 'town manager-in-waiting' and the taxpayers would be getting the SHAFT as usual - just as we did when we hired the high-priced 'consultant' while the town treasurer position ($200,000+??), was in flux and turmoil.

You can't make this stuff up. They have NO PROBLEM throwing your money around like confetti and beads - an' dings like dat - at Mardi Gras.