So what's up with the Fairview?

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

So what's up with the Fairview?

Post by leonidas » May Sun 29, 2016 2:28 pm

.....it's closed!?

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Re: So what's up with the Fairview?

Post by leonidas » May Sun 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Is it still closed because the residence are challenging the liquor license of Mr. Davis's financial status and character with the ABCC? Is it still closed because many subcontractors and tradesmen have not been paid for what they have billed MR. Davis or have not been paid at all and therefore have left the job to be replaced by others? Is it because Mr. Davis home and business address of Marsh Restaurant Group, LLC has been foreclosed on and the LLC holding the title to this property, with Mr. Davis as the primary manager is in Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings and has been since before the BOS 2/22/2016 hearing that awarded him all licenses for this new business venture? Is it still closed because utility bills, specifically natural gas, have been discontinued for nonpayment of a $900+ utility bill? (Apparently, Mr. Davis thought it was a sound business decision to use a GRINDER to remove the lock placed there by Columbia Gas rather than pay the bill. This of course, generated 2 police reports on 4/5/2016 when Columbia returned to remove the meter and discontinue gas service from the road!) Is it still closed because Anchor Realty of Arlington, MA instituted litigation proceedings 1/2016 against Mr. Davis, John Davis Builders, LLC and Marsh Restaurant Group, LLC filed through Middlesex Superior Court claiming, among other things, fraud, misappropriation of funds, breach of contract, unfair and deceptive business practices....I believe a figure of $89,900 was mentioned somewhere, is presently a new and ongoing issue? It can't have anything to do with the history Mr. Davis has of nonpayment of federal income tax, with posted liens, for the years 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 or his nonpayment of RE tax on his home for the years of 2014, 2015 and at least the first 2 quarters of 2016 which the opposition presented to the BOS at the 2/22/2016 hearing. Why would this be any indication of a businessman's character or financial suitability to own and manage a business venture? These instances of transgressions are and were all documented with public records, you can't make all this up. I know, you didn't read about it in the Marshfield Mariner, but it wasn't from lack of trying, they have the information we presented here, complete with documentation. Why is it still closed I ask you?! Must be those damn abutters!

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Mon 30, 2016 9:26 am

Good for those abutters who packed the room the night of the liquor license hearing and who objected to this person getting the license. The selectmen did not listen to their issues nor did they vet this person properly. Hopefully, someone will come along who will open the restaurant and will run it in the same style as the Disches did and those families who came before them. It is way too nice of a spot not to be enjoyed by our townspeople and summer visitors.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » May Mon 30, 2016 10:49 am

AAHHHhhh, another point mentioned by the Seahag...the BOS. They will tell you, and have, in the Marshfield Mariner, it was a 3 hour hearing, longest ever for a liquor license, everyone was given an opportunity he wished to speak, both undeniable.......both someone distorted! Ask the right questions get the correct documentation: to unpaid IRS taxes for 5 years running, "Could we have a copy of your most recent return?" He threw his accountant under the bus for failing to maintain his LLC's, a letter, notarized, from said accountant stating this didn't seem like much to ask. (not sure if this is the same accountant he has working on his multiple tax deficiencies) A new parking plan was presented, apparently sounding good to the BOS. However, as presented, it needed variances from Mr. Davis and the lessee of the property to be implemented, none had been received or applied for at the time of the meeting and no "back-up" plan was being considered as Mr. Davis's attorney can be heard on the audio/video of the meeting. The abutters and local residence ARE NOT against a restaurant, as they stated at the meeting and from Day 1,,,,it is this particular businessman where the issues cross the line of acceptability. GRINDING a lock off a natural gas line gives a little indication of his regard for the community!!

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Mon 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Who knows what this person was up to and what his intentions were, and still might be, for the Fairview building. His liquor license is still being processed by the ABCC, I believe. What happens next is anyone's guess. If he does get approved, he can then transfer it to another person, or change the d/b/a and make it into a dance hall if he wants to do that.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » May Mon 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Regarding the propaganda wing of the Town Of Marshfield, the Marshfield Mariner: Read some of the quotes, with an open mind, see what kind of sense they really make as concerns the Fairview issue. The 2/24/2016 issue, following the approval of all licenses for Mr. Davis. Mr. Jack Clancy, owner and landlord of the Fairview didn't think the nonpayment of property tax for 3 years issue were a concern of his even though they might reflect on the applicants values and character. (And I believe they would be a big issue if they were owed in the Town of Marshfield....certainly 3 years worth.) My Robbins, Vice Chairman at the 2/22/2016 meeting, now Chairman of the BOS, didn't think prior tax issues, at the Federal, State and local level for multiple years was a detriment if it didn't interfere with hold a liquor license. Well, 1. it could be a detriment because it reflects finances, which the ABCC is rather concerned about and 2. that line of thought implies tax cheats and evaders make good business models in the community. Also the comment Mr. Davis made at the hearing about the business generating $30,000 in sales tax revenue to the town, interesting selling point given his tax history, and who would really know if more was being generated, but he was paying $30,000.....but it looked good in print. And the chef pictured in one of the articles with Mr. Davis and also, the local artist also pictured in another article with Mr. Davis, I understand they are not quite as enthusiastic now as they were 4 or 5 months ago about this businessman and his venture. WHY? As always, the lack of financial restitution for services rendered .....money, the root of all evil. Also, the misquotes by abutters and residents add to the lack of impartiality presented, including volumes of documents and reports that were presented to the reporter, many of which now sit in the office of the ABCC in Boston presenting our opposition case, apparently, it didn't fit the agenda of the party line here in Marshfield.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Mon 30, 2016 8:22 pm

I agree with everything you say. I repeat, the BOS did not vet the person who applied for the license properly, and they did not listen to the issues raised by the neighbors who filled the room. They disregarded the abutters and went ahead and gave the applicant the extended hours he wanted. I don't know what they were thinking. We all lose in a situation like this.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » May Mon 30, 2016 8:40 pm

The things we just don't know or hear about in detail. Good for you for putting it out there as this does shine a very big light on why the neighbors are fighting this. I can see why the people around the Fairview have concerns because this highlights the kind of person they would have to deal with.
You have to wonder what the owner of the Fairview and selectmen were thinking when they approved this person.
Keep up the good work and please keep us informed.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » May Mon 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Seahag, in fairness to the BOS, they will tell you the hours of operation are less than what the prior owner had, which is true, but here is the catch: Paul Disch was approved for hours until 12:30 AM every night, while Mr. Davis is approved until 11:00PM Mon, Tues, and Wed. 11:30 PM Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun. HOWEVER, Mr. Disch, in his efforts to be sympathetic to the needs of the neighbors, CLOSED every night at 10 PM REGARDLESS of what he was approved for.....Mr. Davis will open every second of those later hours, with customers able to linger past closing. Also, the kitchen closed at 9 PM with rare exceptions of kitchen and closing hours for private functions. Again, a quote in the Mariner from Mr. Davis's attorney, but I will paraphrase, a building this size and in this location needs extended hours to survive and be financially viable. Perhaps he was unaware of the previous operation for 15 years at the Fairview THRIVING with fewer hours! Paul continues to do well at his new establishment on Rte. 53 in Pembroke, have frequented it often, waiting lines weekdays after 5:30 PM BEFORE the tourist season began. Very glad and happy for him, a businessman with a good product, loyal following and a true gentleman. And again, in fairness to the BOS, I believe by law, the earliest liquor sales may be restricted is 11 PM, unless done voluntarily by the proprietor. (I don't mind giving both sides of the issue!!)

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » May Mon 30, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't know if the closing hours were explained by both parties in this matter at meeting but that seems to be a sticking point in (at least one of them) in the argument and seems like the neighbors got a good deal on this from the Board of Selectmen. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is there anything else that needs to be clarified in this matter that the general public should be made aware of in your argument against the person seeking to establish a business at the Fairview?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Tue 31, 2016 8:19 am

So, right now the license application is still being reviewed by the ABCC and they are the ones who will ultimately tell us whether it is approved or disapproved and why, and that is what we are waiting for at this point. A decision should be coming shortly, I would think, they've had the application since February. If it is approved for John Davis and he has decided he doesn't want to go forward with the business plan he presented in February, what happens next, if you know? The Fairview Inn project, right now, looks pretty much abandoned.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » May Tue 31, 2016 9:48 am

It's not abandoned, someone comes by and drives a nail or paints a wall or something several hours a day 3 or 4 days a week, a lot of the initial subs. and tradesmen have pulled out because of nonpayment of services, the others may not have caught on yet. Paul Disch informs us that when he reapplied for a liquor license for his new place in Pembroke, it took him 3 1/2 months for approval from ABCC...this after an established business for nearly 15 years without issues. there are only 25 investigator for the entire Commission. They have had the application since February, but they have only had the abutters opposition petition since March 28....a lot of information to investigate, and Mr. Davis's past business indiscretions allows the abutters to forward more information almost on a weekly basis for further investigation and assimilation.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Tue 31, 2016 11:47 am

Ok, sure hope it all goes well for the abutters!

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » May Tue 31, 2016 3:02 pm

Eric, the hours of operation total 9 hours of OPEN operation later at night than the prior owner, and 2 hours earlier on Sunday morning. "Closing" only reflects last call, according to COP, patrons can hang out until 1:15 AM after that. Throw in early morning deliveries, dumpster pick-up, when is the respite for the neighborhood. This is secondary at the moment anyway to this businessman. Just Friday we received a call from a gentleman from Johnston, RI, involved in a Chapter 11 bankruptcy from 5/2015 with Mr. Davis. The gentleman involved owns Simone Excavating Company which did some work for Mr. Davis to the tune of $15,900, of course, never paid. We have done some vetting of this claim and it appears to be correct....the Chapter 11 he was involved in was converted to the Chapter 7 case now in litigation with one of Mr. Davis's LLC's. It does get convoluted! At any rate, non-secured creditors were dropped from the conversion, this gentleman's claim being one of them. We checked on this company in RI, it is a 2 man business, essentially a "Mom and Pop" operation, formed in 1995 with reported yearly sales of $160,000, so they were duped out of 10% of their yearly income. If he is willing to provide documentation, we will forward that to the ABCC also. The situation is fluid, always appears to be more information coming forward about this businessman's transgressions on his thoughts of how the business world functions.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » May Tue 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Eric, the neighbors did not get a good deal. How did you come up with that, did you not watch the hearing or read any of the reports in several newspapers and on-line??

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » May Tue 31, 2016 10:36 pm

Hold on Seahag,
I was just commenting on what the bos gave for closing time hours. According to poster it was the minimum that was required in issuing a alcohol/liquor license.
I look at the bos could have issued a later time like what previous owner had, but the bos did not according to poster.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » May Tue 31, 2016 10:45 pm

I just saw you posted a comment to me leonidas and appreciate the feedback. I thank you for putting more informative dialog out there as a lot of us can only comment on what we see in paper and if we get a chance a selectmen meeting. Usually paper though. So, needless to say we don't get whole story. Keep up with the updates so we can all stay informed.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Wed 01, 2016 9:32 am

Todays disclosure and update: It appears the foreclosure of Mr. Davis's home, and business address of the Marsh Restaurant Group, LLC venture here in Marshfield, has come to pass. A legal notice was posted in the Sun Chronicle, Attleboro, MA., dated May 26, 2016 stating same with sale scheduled for 6/16/2016. (For those curious, GOOGLE: Rodman Financial Partners, LLC foreclosure notice 790 Pine Street) To the best of the abutters knowledge, beside his truck, this is (was) his major asset. Apparently Mr. Davis requested and applied for a loan from Rodman Partners in 2013, a company who gives "creative" loans (according to their web site) to contractors, builders, real estate investors, etc. quicker and with less investigation than banks. The loan was advanced with the understanding the house would be bought, renovated and "flipped", according to an attorney representing Rodman Financial Partners who instituted the foreclosure.....Mr. Davis bought the house and moved in! STRANGER THAN FICTION!

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Jun Wed 01, 2016 11:52 am

Wow!

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Wed 01, 2016 9:17 pm

Anchor Realty Partners V John Davis, John Davis Builders, LLC, Marsh Restaurant Group, LLC, Filed in Middlesex Superior Court...Questions?

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Jun Wed 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Enough said. He was not vetted properly by the Selectmen at the hearing in February.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Wed 01, 2016 10:50 pm

Well, yes and yes, seahag...He was not vetted at the BOS Hearing, yes, and yes, now WE in the local community are left with the resultant consequences. Why wasn't he vetted properly I guess is the next question and the purpose of these posts? They were given ample evidence that there may be an issue, at least ask one relevant question! Like, your cost estimates for renovations and start up were off about $35,000 on your application, why? (Leaving off a "0" as stated by his attorney should not have been good enough.) You got a "yes or no" question wrong, thereby falsifying your application, why? You listed your place of employment as a business that was involuntarily dissolved by the State 5 months ago for failure to maintain yearly reports, thereby falsifying your application, AGAIN....why? One false answer is grounds for denial according to the law....and please don't lose site of the fact these false statements were "rehabilitated" AFTER the opposition statement was presented prior to the 2/1/2016 meeting(that is to say, he got caught!)....And the 2/1/2016 was a continuance from the 11/23/2015 meeting which would have granted him a liquor license that night, but 2 applied and only 1 license available. (he was a no show I guess when he knew it was going elsewhere) And as it turns out, they would have been granting him a license in November with falsified applications if 2 were available, but who would have known!! Living with it on a day to day basis, after that SHAM, by the very people that are elected to watch over this community is not "enough said". There will be a "next time", personally, I don't want it to happen again without a little better due process for those their decisions will most effect. The way this was handled, it should be an embarrassment to them!

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Thu 02, 2016 8:47 am

And just as an eye opener for me, in reading some of the multitude of posts and topics here on the MASHFIELD FORUM dealing with topics of a political nature, I get the impression there is a fair amount of NEPOTISM that governs and effects the Town of Marshfield in the political arena. Is that a prevailing theme or am I misinterpreting the posts? At any rate, possibly a topic for another day.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Thu 02, 2016 1:26 pm

Not misinterpreting at all.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Jun Thu 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Nope. Speak for yourself EriK.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Thu 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Seahag your clearly in the bag with them. Your just making it look like you actually care about the folks that live around the Fairview.
If anything your probably trying to sniff out who would question town leadership on this matter.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Jun Thu 02, 2016 8:59 pm

OMG, that is so insulting, I can't even respond to something like that.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Thu 02, 2016 9:37 pm

You can't respond because it's true.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Jun Fri 03, 2016 11:47 am

Eric, I don't know what you are talking about but you are way off target and way out of line. ~X(

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Fri 03, 2016 5:54 pm

First, I admire the fire, anger, support and frustration of the only other 2 individuals who have posted on this thread, and I can fully understand those emotions and thoughts. Believe me, those emotions, and many more, have befallen those most closely associated with this issue here in Brant Rock over the last 8 months. Secondly, UPDATE: Today, the Rodman Financial Partners legal notice of foreclosure, as previously posted here, along with specifics of the mortgage contract by Mr. Davis (again, all public record), were forwarded to the ABCC investigator on this case. This has been the 5th, or perhaps the 6th, as also previously stated, the situation is fluid, supplement filed since the original filing March 28, 2016.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Fri 03, 2016 8:42 pm

Nice touch on that one leonidas.
Keep up the good work.

headforthehills
Tourist
Tourist

Post by headforthehills » Jun Sat 04, 2016 8:12 am

Excellent use of "your" makes you sound intelligent

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Sat 04, 2016 9:40 am

headforthehills wrote:Excellent use of "your" makes you sound intelligent
Finally, another poster on this thread....and an English major to boot....aside from the grammatical error in the post, and I'm sure, it's not the only error you could find and critique in these over 12 or 13 years of listings. However, what do you think of the facts presented for the problem at hand that generated this initial topic? Having trouble digesting the facts and content also? All documentation was presented to the Marshfield Mariner, still waiting months later for them to print it, but I assume, available for inspection....the BOS have a few opposition facts also...PD has the police reports generated also as a public record. I'm going to post this now, just PREYING I didn't make any SPELING or grammar errors, I know how you hate that! :lol:

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Sat 04, 2016 11:26 pm

With the anticipated litigation that would follow the BOS dismissal of the abutters and neighbors opposition statement as regarded the 2/22/2016 hearing, I have watched the BOS audio/video recording from that date dozens of times with this recurring inconsistency never being fully understood or explained that night by the BOS. Clearly heard on the audio/video, reinforced with the transcribed minutes of the hearing provided by the BOS office is the following: From the applicants camp "....met with the COP and he was satisfied with the background check and FINANCIAL background check." Under normal circumstances, when does the COP have anything to do with financials? (never questioned by the BOS, never denied or explained by the COP, for that matter, Town Counsel saw no issue with this new screening procedure introduced this night) In fact, in most BOS liquor license hearings when is COP in attendance, usually a lesser ranking police official is the attendee, the Public Safety Officer on a couple occasion I have attended or seen on the town BOS web site videos, to handle the issues of traffic or parking. It was readily apparent that night that financials were not going to be presented to the BOS, and it was also readily apparent they were not going to press the issue to see any, despite revisions of start-up costs, constructions costs and "adding a 0" to the investment capital. BUT, the BOS saw nothing unusual, or wrong, with the statement of the "COP is satisfied with the FINANCIAL background check" when it is NOT, or ever has been, his responsibility to screen financials of applicants. Unfortunately for the COP, now he is the one on record who may be called by the ABCC and/or Superior Court to explain what financials he saw, screened, vetted and was satisfied with that this applicant presented to him. One of many inconsistencies at that meeting......but it did last 3 hours!

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Sun 05, 2016 8:46 am

Keep doing what your doing. I am sure plenty of people are reading your posts. Probably more than the Mariner.
If you want a paper to publish your story you should contact Globe/Herald.
Mariner only publishes a small story of issues. They don't like to get into controversial detail esp. when it does not make town look good.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Sun 05, 2016 11:40 am

I hate piling on with this gentleman, but the material is everywhere! His plans were for a fine dining restaurant, with hours until 12:45 AM initially requested, but no late night music, dancing and noise here in Marshfield. GOOGLE: Cuban-themed Restaurant planned for former Rok Bar......BTW, he was approved for the liquor license, but not the hours of operation he wanted, that wasn't enough for Mr. Davis, the business couldn't be viable at that location with shorter hours and no entertainment. so, he moved onto Marshfield in his quest! Once Mr. Davis moved on, the building here in East Greenwich, RI was renovated and opened as the Post Office Café, with Italian/American cuisine, with operating hours until 10 PM, one night until 9 PM, closed Mondays.....doing very well since it's opening over a year ago!

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Sun 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Ok checked out post office cafe.
You are off on your story according to hours.
Sunday open until 8 pm.
Friday and Saturday night open until 11:00 pm.
Though it is a small detail it can raise questions on what you are posting. The story maybe correct on what you are saying but maybe some of the details could be called into question by people.
If I am wrong on this please explain.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Sun 05, 2016 8:23 pm

OK, my bad, was trying to post from reading about this establishment 4 or 5 months ago, but that is now thriving in the building that the prior business scheduled for there couldn't make financially viable without late night hours. I'll be more specific: The Post Office Café, 11 Main St., East Greenwich, RI is open the following hours; Tues., Wed., and Thurs., 4:30 PM to 10 PM, Fri., and Sat., 4:30 PM t0 11 PM, 1 hour later on what is considered "non Work nights", Sun 3 PM to 8 PM, CLOSED Mon. with no live entertainment. Mr Davis applied for 11 AM to 12:45 AM 7 days a week with live bands, DJ's and Karaoke. If readers can't see the difference in 1 or 2 hour over sight on my part VS Mr. Davis's business proposal at the same venue, nothing I will say can change it. The point, he didn't succeed there, He didn't succeed in Hyannis in Feb. of last year (another story!), so he brought his dog and pony show to Marshfield where he was welcomed with open arms.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jun Mon 06, 2016 9:10 pm

Nice recovery.

leonidas
Visitor
Visitor

Post by leonidas » Jun Thu 16, 2016 6:37 am

UPDATE: NO, NO nothing from the ABCC yet, whose investigators currently are pretty involved in investigating liquor distributor's payoff allegations for tap installations at certain establishments around the Commonwealth I believe.

This UPDATE deals with Mr. Davis's home going on the auction block today (6/16) at 11 AM for non-payment of a contractual loan agreement with Rodman Financial Partners, LLC, of Boston. (This residential address also being the business address of Marsh Restaurant Group, LLC., running his business interests here in Marshfield.) No, No, this isn't the culmination the Anchor Realty litigation dealing with misappropriation of funds, that's another separate issue!