New Flood Maps again

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
clover
Resident
Resident

New Flood Maps again

Post by clover » Nov Mon 09, 2015 12:32 pm

I heard the new maps are officially in today.

Has anyone noticed the little comments that have been printed in some articles recently in the papers? The comments that imply some areas have been changed while others not so much. It'll be interesting to see what changes have been made. Town officials were originally concerned about "their projects."

Here's a copy of an email between FEMA employees that goes back to 2013. This copy is on the town website. It shows the town's concern for "their projects." Below that, is the latest news article that shows how FEMA is making sure areas "seamlessly" and smoothly flow together. Were there going to be big jumps between areas???

Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:35 AM
To: Bogdan, Kerry
Cc: Zingarelli, Richard (DCR); Bailey, A.Colleen (DCR); Caufield, Brian A.; Randhawa, Jaspreet; Sterling, Lisa
Subject: Plymouth County Workmap meeting update

Good Morning Kerry,

Our yesterday meetings with Plymouth County communities went very well and all the communities had a representative and were receptive of the data we have provided. Apparently the last Friday blizzard created some flooding issues and some areas in the effective X Zone were experienced flooding which did ground truth our maps that show them in a new AE zone. Here is an update on our meeting with Plymouth County communities:

We met with Town of Marshfield and Town of Scituate in the morning and went over the schedule and the maps and asked them to send us their comments as soon as possible. The Town of Marshfield engineer was concerned about the consequences of some of the areas that they have gone up from AE 9’ to AE 16’, and their projects. The Marshfield Fire Department Captain confirmed some of the effective Zone Xs that have been flooded last Friday and they are still pumping water out. The Town of Scituate were more understanding of the changes and realized their existing risk.

In the afternoon we met with the Town of Duxbury, Plymouth and Kingston. We explained the methodology of determining the wave condition in the bay and we went over the schedule and the maps. They were fine with the maps and Town of Kingston asked about areas inland that are not part of coastal studies and why they are not updated as they seem to be not accurate. We explained the FEMA priorities and asked them to send FEMA the floodplain studies they receive from the developers so they can be evaluated through a LOMR process or to be shown on the maps. We asked all the communities to send us any comments they might have as soon as possible so we can meet our deadline.

Attached please find the sign in sheet.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Nader

http://marshfield.wickedlocal.com/artic ... 1447044975

Those changes have to be integrated “seamlessly,” Bogdan said.

“We just have to make sure it ties into the adjacent areas so there’s a smooth transition,” she said.

clover
Resident
Resident

Re: New Flood Maps again

Post by clover » Nov Mon 09, 2015 5:16 pm

These look like the new maps. They're on the FEMA website. Just to see one example, I clicked on map 227K to see Kent Park, and most of the area looks like it's been removed from the flood zone.

I just checked this link after I posted it, and it only brings you to the page before this list of maps. Input "Massachusetts" and "Plymouth County" and you'll get to the list.

https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/pre ... ult.action

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Mon 09, 2015 8:22 pm

In case you didn't listen in to the live broadcast of the Selectmen's meeting tonight - the Board, Mr. Longo, and Rep. Cantwell are furious at the way FEMA has sent in these maps, after waiting what, 2 yrs. Apparently they are unreadable except with a magnifying glass and useless to the town until we receive something called a shape map or shake map to overlay with our GIS maps so that we can determine whose property is in or out of the newly drawn flood maps. FEMA also is only allowing 30 days for comment and then it's a done deal. The Board feels this is unacceptable and not enough time to get this new information out to the townspeople and is planning to ask for an extension of time. At this point, FEMA is not even answering their phone calls. To me, this indicates that FEMA is the bad guy.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Mon 09, 2015 11:46 pm

Seahag wrote:In case you didn't listen in to the live broadcast of the Selectmen's meeting tonight - the Board, Mr. Longo, and Rep. Cantwell are furious at the way FEMA has sent in these maps, after waiting what, 2 yrs. Apparently they are unreadable except with a magnifying glass and useless to the town until we receive something called a shape map or shake map to overlay with our GIS maps so that we can determine whose property is in or out of the newly drawn flood maps. FEMA also is only allowing 30 days for comment and then it's a done deal. The Board feels this is unacceptable and not enough time to get this new information out to the townspeople and is planning to ask for an extension of time. At this point, FEMA is not even answering their phone calls. To me, this indicates that FEMA is the bad guy.
The maps that are at the FEMA link (https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/pre ... ult.action) are not the best quality, but what are Longo, the selectmen and Cantwell talking about when they say they have to be part of our GIS to be of value to the public??? This sounds like total BS to me. The appealed maps that are online at our planning department are NOT part of any GIS. They are right here on this town website page and look a lot like the FEMA maps that can be found at the current FEMA link. They are what the public was using. (Scroll down to where you see numbers followed by the letter "K," click, and see a map (not too complicated.)
http://www.townofmarshfield.org/governm ... temaps.htm

Our GIS page does nothing better to tell people whether they are in the flood zone or not, and it's not an official FEMA map. Is there some other "GIS" other than this because this shows nothing of added value? The detail is worse than the satellite map pictures that can be found at the FEMA link.
http://fctpermit.com/gis/marshfield_new/index.asp

Asking for an extension to comment would be great, but Rocco, the selectmen and Cantwell can try a little harder to read these maps and get them out to the public. If they won't, I'm pretty sure the MCCC will get started, and if the MCCC won't do it, the "naysayers" will get it done. Some of us say "nay" to BS and Town officials stalling. They waited MONTHS to tell the public about the last maps. They need to show they are willing to treat the public right for a change.

Already these maps have been given to the Town at the worst possible time of year. Holidays are coming, the weather will get bad, and residents are away for the winter. How many more disadvantages can be piled on the residents in the next short period before we vote on the maps in April? :roll:

P.S. It does look like Mr. Rossi will get started. Everybody else is talking about how they can't read the maps and need an "expert." :roll: Thank you to the MCCC.
http://marshfield.wickedlocal.com/artic ... 2/?Start=1
Rossi said that his coastal coalition is working to post the maps on its website as early at Tuesday.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Tue 10, 2015 7:12 am

The maps they were talking about last night are the six paper maps the town received from FEMA. They are unreadable in their present format, therefore, they are of no use to the townspeople who have been waiting for them to be redrawn to show proper boundaries, and the town has only been given 30 days to look at them and approve them. The Selectmen are quite upset with FEMA about the way the maps were given to them and plan to first of all ask for an extension of time to get maps available that are useable to the townspeople. You can choose to think it is BS, but I don't think it is.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Tue 10, 2015 11:07 am

Seahag wrote:The maps they were talking about last night are the six paper maps the town received from FEMA. They are unreadable in their present format, therefore, they are of no use to the townspeople who have been waiting for them to be redrawn to show proper boundaries, and the town has only been given 30 days to look at them and approve them. The Selectmen are quite upset with FEMA about the way the maps were given to them and plan to first of all ask for an extension of time to get maps available that are useable to the townspeople. You can choose to think it is BS, but I don't think it is.
Their six paper maps give them NO EXCUSE to NOT tell the residents the FEMA maps are online. There's no excuse for NOT putting the PDF FEMA maps on the Town website just like the pre-appealed maps. This GIS stuff is BS. The numbered set of FEMA maps is the same as before. If the Town isn't prepared for questions, then just say so, and at least let residents get a head start on looking at the information. This is just another example of them putting themselves first and being unhelpful and deceitful.

I can read them (not to the finest detail) and can see that homes in Kent Park and Southport have been removed. The area along Ocean St near Bourne Park is out, as well as most homes on Marshview. The Daniel Webster School is out (is that one of "their projects?") I see elevations that have gone down also. I see areas that show little or no difference.

If I can see all this, then why can't town officials make a statement that the maps are online but reading them isn't easy, and we will answer questions, as best we can, starting such-and-such-a-date? Why are the newspapers running a story that says "the towns" have received the flood maps? EVERYONE has received the flood maps BECAUSE THEY ARE ONLINE at the FEMA website (and the MCCC's.)

And, they're just now complaining about the quality of FEMA maps? They were pretty bad the last time. I guess town officials didn't care then because they were never going to publicize the huge changes that were being proposed. Quincy has a nice system online, maybe Marshfield and FEMA can learn from them.

I would think that FEMA can get them a new and better set of paper maps in about 2 days. Maybe, by then, the PDF maps will be on the Town's website. Until then go to: PRELIMINARY FEMA MAP PRODUCTS @https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/prelimdownload/

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Tue 10, 2015 11:35 am

I think they want to get something that they can overlay on the older set of maps so that people can see the differences.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Tue 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Seahag wrote:I think they want to get something that they can overlay on the older set of maps so that people can see the differences.
Well, that's swell of them, but it's unnecessary for now. The town website provided plain old PDF maps the last time, and they're still there. There was no GIS up and running. That is something newer, it's not that easy to use, and people didn't use it last time (cuz it wasn't there.)

Again, there's no reason not to tell people the maps are out and available on FEMA's website.

PRELIMINARY FEMA MAP PRODUCTS
https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/prelimdownload/

The newest maps are also available on the MCCC website with helpful neighborhood labeling. I looked at a couple and thought they may be very slightly more grainy, and a little harder to read, but maybe that's my imagination. The labeling as to which map is which is good and helpful.

http://www.marshfieldcoastalcoalition.org/?page_id=119

You won't have much fun trying to read FEMA's washed out faded greys and pale blues, but at least you can educate yourself instead of waiting for your government officials to bestow their wisdom upon you. :)

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Tue 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I am going to have to concede defeat here, I'm afraid!! I did just look at the maps on the MMCC website, and they are pretty clear and identifiable by neighborhood and if you enlarge them you can easily see your street if you live in any of the flood prone areas. I did look at the Kent Park area, and some streets are in and some others are out. Funny thing, that's the neighborhood Mr. Bradley lives in and had lots of supporters from when he ran in the Spring for BOS!
Do you think the town administrator's office doesn't know that the maps are on line??!!
:shock: :roll:

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Tue 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Seahag wrote:I am going to have to concede defeat here, I'm afraid!! I did just look at the maps on the MMCC website, and they are pretty clear and identifiable by neighborhood and if you enlarge them you can easily see your street if you live in any of the flood prone areas. I did look at the Kent Park area, and some streets are in and some others are out. Funny thing, that's the neighborhood Mr. Bradley lives in and had lots of supporters from when he ran in the Spring for BOS!
Do you think the town administrator's office doesn't know that the maps are on line??!!
:shock: :roll:
I know they know the maps are online at the FEMA website (and now the MCCC.) But I can stop picking on them now, because they have very recently added a brand new box to the Town website where you can select "Online mapping for FEMA Flood (FIRM) Maps 2015." This will lead you to a totally updated GIS version of the flood maps. The satellite image is better, and houses are labeled with address numbers, however I don't see any way to get elevation numbers and those are important to some people who are already in the flood zone but were facing major increases. Maybe I'm just not using the GIS as best as I can, but the regular PDF FEMA maps look better for the elevation numbers. The PDF maps are probably also simpler for people not used to this newer fancy computer stuff.

From the Town website: http://www.townofmarshfield.org/FEMAFloodMaps2015.htm

Now the Mariner is running an article that sends readers to the wrong link at the FEMA website. The link is for the current already accepted maps. I sent an email with all these links to the most current proposed info in hopes that the news article will be changed.

Isn't it amazing how difficult it is to get the official information published? Town officials seem to always want to keep things so complicated.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Tue 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Totally amazing. And crazy.

legendgw
Tourist
Tourist

Post by legendgw » Nov Wed 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Question for anyone that might know.

I just bought a house that is directly on the ocean front and it appears it is in the Z zone. When I got the house the owner transferred it to me and it is listed as AE. The house was built in the 50's
Question does this new zoning impact existing homes with flood policies?

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Wed 11, 2015 7:06 pm

legendgw wrote:Question for anyone that might know.

I just bought a house that is directly on the ocean front and it appears it is in the Z zone. When I got the house the owner transferred it to me and it is listed as AE. The house was built in the 50's
Question does this new zoning impact existing homes with flood policies?
Did you mean to type "X zone" instead of "Z zone?" Are you saying you think you are out of the flood zone but were in? Either way, the maps that FEMA just sent need to be voted in at Town Meeting (in April probably), and then if passed will take effect sometime after that (July probably.) All homes will be affected by the new maps, and there are recent laws that affect "grandfathering" and dictate how policies and rates change. New legislation might come about for 2017 that could change things even more. It's hard to say how you will be affected without a lot of details being known.

If you are on the coast and are on the border of a zone, it might be hard to know your true zone and the town can't really tell you your exact designation, and FEMA doesn't really do that either. It's the lenders that determine that, so you may want to talk to your lender if you have a mortgage. I know someone who went straight to her lender last time and was able to get answers to questions on the proposed maps even though they weren't official yet and ended up being appealed.

My answer here is coming from a non-expert. You could ask the Marshfield Coastal Coalition people for a more knowledgeable reply. If you go to their website and find the pink box, you can look at maps and leave an email question.

FYI, Below is a link to FEMA's Homeowner FAQ's. Number seven mentions how the lender determines the location in the zone.
http://www.fema.gov/homeowners-frequent ... -questions

7. My Lender Says I Need To Buy Flood Insurance. However, I Looked On The Floodsmart.Gov Site And It Says I Am At Low Risk. Which One Is FEMA's Official Answer As To Which Flood Zone My House Is Located?

The result you see after using the risk tool on FloodSmart.gov is not an official FEMA determination. That determination is based on the structure's physical address and may not reflect how your property is shown on the effective Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) for your community. For virtually every mortgage transaction involving a structure in the United States, a lender reviews the currently effective FIRM for the community in which the property is located to determine its location relative to the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), the area subject to inundation by the base (1-percent-annual-chance) flood.

FEMA's official determination regarding whether a structure is in the SFHA is based on the receipt of certain property and elevation information in accordance with National Flood Insurance Program regulations. If you would like FEMA to make an official determination regarding the location of your property relative to the SFHA, you can submit certain property and elevation information and request that FEMA issue a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), if your property is located on natural ground or a Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F), if your property has been elevated above the base flood by the placement of earthen fill.

clover
Resident
Resident

Re: No Parade Today

Post by clover » Nov Wed 11, 2015 8:01 pm

The Mariner editor has edited the most recent online article to reflect the best and newest news of several links being available to access information about the new maps. My thanks to her and her willingness to help the residents!

Matt McDonough, on the other hand, is apparently (so far) standing by his absurd comments he wrote on Facebook. There has been no update for residents there to reflect that there is online access to the maps and the Town has updated their website as of YESTERDAY.

Here are some of Matt McDonough's comments (in red) from Facebook (Tuesday), as well as one from Steve Robbins: (Remember, Matt wrote these comments on Facebook in the morning and the Town GIS page was updated by the afternoon.)

This is extremely challenging for us because (just like they did two years ago) FEMA has provided us with two paper copies of the maps and no other supporting electronic maps. As of today, the maps FEMA provided us literally require the use of a magnifying glass to review the contours of the flood zone.

We will fix this problem but our frustration is compounded by the 30 day limit to the comment period. By the time we have an electronic format several days of that time frame will have passed.

Our staff in town hall has made locating the electronic maps and incorporating them into a format that our 26,000 residents can review our top priority.

While we conduct this work, the Board of Selectmen will be requesting that FEMA's 30 day comment period not begin until our town has received electronic maps that are capable of being formatted into our GIS mapping system in the town planner's office.

Regarding a Publuc Forum: As soon as we have secured a location, time and the electronic (shape file and GIS) maps, we will notify residents through the press and social media.

the two paper maps are available at town hall. However, like I said in the post above, they are extremely difficult to read along the contours of the map. You can get a general idea of where the proposed maps edges are but for a detailed look we will need the electronic "shape files" from FEMA and then we need to layer them onto our GIS system. That system gives us the ability to zoom in on each parcel of land and buildings to see exactly how the map affects certain areas. This work is the top priority for our town hall staff right now.

Steve Robbins writes: What a frustrating situation and response to the great effort of so many town officials to correct the improper implementation of the 2013 FEMA flood maps. However, our professional team at town hall are hard at work correcting the situation so folks can at least identify their property and make educated decisions. I will continue to work with my board members to assist folks in anyway we can.

The proposed maps for the remainder of the Plymouth County communities are available on the the FEMA website. They are the 2013 proposed maps. I hope this helps you in the your search.

Happy reading the selctmen's nonsense on Veterans Day.

legendgw
Tourist
Tourist

Post by legendgw » Nov Thu 12, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks for the reply

No question I am in a flood zone as it is currently AE and it is direct ocean front. The zone classification I have seen on some maps is VE which means the potential for direct wave impact.

When I got my policy it listed the property as AE so I wonder if I am now ZE with a much higher premium. There is no mortgage so this is a voluntary purchase of the flood insurance.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Fri 13, 2015 1:10 pm

legendgw wrote:Thanks for the reply

No question I am in a flood zone as it is currently AE and it is direct ocean front. The zone classification I have seen on some maps is VE which means the potential for direct wave impact.

When I got my policy it listed the property as AE so I wonder if I am now ZE with a much higher premium. There is no mortgage so this is a voluntary purchase of the flood insurance.
The lines between the AE zones and the VE zones, are the hardest to read, if you ask me. When you use the Town GIS you can input your exact address and see where the zone crosses your property. In some of the places I looked, the VE zone doesn't touch the house. In some places the VE zone border goes through the middle, and the house is half in AE and half in VE. It looks like FEMA actually pulled back on the VE zone in some places compared to the 2012 maps we have in place now. It seems like people, who are on the border of any of the zones, are going to be the ones with the most questions, but the Town GIS is a good tool to look closely at your exact address.

The online Town system does NOT show base flood elevation numbers, though, and those are extremely important. The official FEMA maps show those numbers.

The areas of town, that are not directly on the coast, are easy enough to read on the official FEMA maps. As I already wrote, it looks like areas north of Ocean Street (between the police station and Nessralla's) are looking better off after the appeal. Many houses (but not all) in Southport, and over to Marshview Drive are now outside of the flood zone. A good portion of Kent Park is out. Elevation numbers in those areas and up through the Ferry Street area have come down quite a bit, to AE 9 in some places.

On the other hand, some areas of Rexhame and areas south of Ocean Street such as Woodlawn Circle, the Macker Terrace area, and Gratto and Woodbine and Old Colony are all seeing homes newly mapped into the flood zone and the zone looks like it is AE 14 in most places.

A lot of the southern end of town looks like people are facing base flood elevation numbers of 14, 15 and 16. Those numbers are possibly not good for some.

For anybody who hasn't looked, here are two ways to view the official maps, and one link to the town's info. (This needs bold print) Matt McDonough still has not attempted to enlighten the Facebook crowd. I guess he still stands by his silly story/lie that the only way the maps can be seen is by coming to Town Hall with a magnifying glass.

The most user friendly way to view the FEMA maps is on the MCCC website.

PRELIMINARY FEMA MAP PRODUCTS

https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/prelimdownload/

MCCC

http://www.marshfieldcoastalcoalition.org/?page_id=119

Town of Marshfield

http://www.townofmarshfield.org/FEMAFloodMaps2015.htm

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Mon 23, 2015 12:06 pm

My house has been moved to the flood zone. From what I understand, if I purchase flood insurance before maps are implemented then I can get a PRP rate which would be grandfathered if I decide to sell down the road. Is that correct? Also, how do I go about purchasing flood insurance now? Who do I contact? I would appreciate any help in this area. Thanks.

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Nov Mon 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Gidget wrote:My house has been moved to the flood zone. From what I understand, if I purchase flood insurance before maps are implemented then I can get a PRP rate which would be grandfathered if I decide to sell down the road. Is that correct? Also, how do I go about purchasing flood insurance now? Who do I contact? I would appreciate any help in this area. Thanks.

Gidget first before you purchase flood insurance. Do you have a mortgage on your home. If not and there has not been any flooding in your area. I would not purchase flood insurance.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Nov Tue 24, 2015 12:53 pm

So, while the current PDF maps are crap to look at (appalling, embarrassingly bad for this day and age), it looks like the future will be DFIRM (Digital FIRM) maps.

These will be read / displayed using GIS (Geographic Information System) software, and are much more flexible. You can zoom in / out, pan around, add / remove layers, etc.

While rummaging, I stumbled across this somewhat well hidden FEMA link, which has DFIRMs online.
I cannot vouch for the accuracy / status of these maps...Will have to do more digging for that.

Click link below to explore.
http://bit.ly/1bPpUjq

Hmm - on further examination, when I zoom in, I can see that the tiles are 2012 maps (ie - old).
Still, pretty cool, and you can see what is coming in the future for FIRM maps.

I will keep digging to see if I can find updated maps online anywhere.

Actually - there is a Google Earth .KMZ file available.

Just download and install Google Earth: https://www.google.com/earth

Then download the following KMZ file with the FIRM maps: https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/kmz ... v3.0.1.kmz

Once you've installed Google Earth, you can just double-click the file to open (or Select File -> Open... within Google Earth, and browse to the KMZ file).

Trying to see how old the KMZ file is...
Hmm - they are 2012 maps also. Can't fathom why FEMA can't get off their butts to produce a newer KMZ file, as they newer digital data is available online (just not in a format most people can consume easily).

I will look to see how hard it is to write my own converter, or see if one is available anywhere.
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Tue 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Thank you. I do own home. There was some basement flooding during the blizzard but not in my house. I have a crushed rock system plus sump pump that has worked for the last 25 years. I guess I thought that I read somewhere that if you have flood insurance BEFORE maps go into full effect that it would be grandfathered at a cheaper rate. That lesser rate would follow the sale of the house. My concern is what will happen to my neighborhood when people can't afford this flood insurance along with increased taxes. perhaps, I will have to sell my home. This is a nightmare for many families in this area. Frankly I fear this is going to break this town. How low cost is this insurance? I recall seeing huge premiums as high as $8000 for small homes miles from the ocean. These homes were purchased and flood insurance was not required. I will manage somehow but I feel for my neighbors with children who are fighting to make ends meet.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Tue 24, 2015 2:26 pm

If anyone was watching the Selectmen's meeting on cable last night, Greg Guimond the town planner, walked through all the steps necessary to get into the latest fema flood maps sent to the town on 11/6. They have layers and you can zoom in and see your own house by typing in the house number and street name. You can also go down to town hall and he will show you how to find your own home.
I'm not in the flood plain, thank goodness, but I feel for everyone who is. But I would not think it a good idea not to buy flood insurance if I was included in the latest maps. Joe Rossi seems to be the point person on what policy to buy. Hope this helps.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Tue 24, 2015 5:43 pm

Seahag
If flood insurance is 8000/year why would it be a good idea to buy when I don't have to? I'm retired and widowed and that is a big chunk out of savings. Personally I am not afraid of a big wave taking house away. Worst case electricity fails and sump pump stops and I have wet basement. However if I can lock in much lower flood insurance now and it follows a home sale; I'll do it.
Also my biggest fear is that many people cannot afford this and lose their homes. This hurts the entire town not just some. EVERYONE'S home values will go down a lot. Marshfield will not be a desirable place to live.
There should be a large meeting for all affected with professional advice where how to get the best rates. The Town should get ahead of this. This will have huge ramifications for all who live here.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Tue 24, 2015 5:56 pm

Seahag
I appreciate your kind advice but I fail to see the value of paying $8000/yr. unless it is much cheaper ill opt out. I'm not afraid of big wave taking my house away. I've been here 45 yrs and have seen many bad storms. I have a good system with backup generator. If buying insurance now is cheaper and follows home sale; Ill do it. I'm alone and 8000 is a lot for me.
My biggest fear is that many cannot pay and will lose their home. This WILL devalue all our homes.
Marshfield will not be a desirable place to live. The Town should organize a meeting for all with questions. Perhaps we can get ahead of this. These exorbitant new flood rates will destroy this town faster than any storm. Everyone in town should be very very nervous.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Tue 24, 2015 5:56 pm

Sorry I accidentally posted twice

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Tue 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Gidget wrote:Seahag
I appreciate your kind advice but I fail to see the value of paying $8000/yr. unless it is much cheaper ill opt out. I'm not afraid of big wave taking my house away. I've been here 45 yrs and have seen many bad storms. I have a good system with backup generator. If buying insurance now is cheaper and follows home sale; Ill do it. I'm alone and 8000 is a lot for me.
My biggest fear is that many cannot pay and will lose their home. This WILL devalue all our homes.
Marshfield will not be a desirable place to live. The Town should organize a meeting for all with questions. Perhaps we can get ahead of this. These exorbitant new flood rates will destroy this town faster than any storm. Everyone in town should be very very nervous.
Gidget there is a meeting set for December 3rd, although Matt McDonough was playing games again at last night's selectmen's meeting. When Rocco started to say the meeting might run from maybe 5 PM to 8 or 9 PM, McDonough stopped him and said not to zero in on a time. So now, the only thing that has been publicized is that the meeting will be at the FBMS and that the rep from Woods Hole will do a presentation at 7PM. There will be more time for the public there, but the BOS wants to tell you the details at the very last minute, I suppose. http://marshfield.wickedlocal.com/artic ... /151128226

As far as actual insurance policies go, I don't know much, but you should probably contact an insurance agent who you trust. FEMA now calls the steps to getting the "PRP" type policies the "Newly Mapped Procedure." It looks like you get a low rate of up to $400+ but that increases to full risk. HOWEVER, there are "grandfathering" rules that were put back in place after parts of Biggert-Waters were repealed. This link (below) summarizes things but doesn't clear up questions or give you dollar rates. I've seen rate tables that do go up to thousands of dollars for policies where peoples homes are "too low" compared to the BFE, but "grandfathering" may help to avoid that. It seems that buying a policy that does carry to a new buyer may help to protect your home value a little, but I agree this is a big problem for homeowners and the town.
https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/p ... _flood.jsp

Also, I 've heard from a few people who have noticed the maps still don't seem to make sense, especially along Ocean Street between the Police Station and Nessralla's but up in Rexhame too. The town employees and officials have made statements that they see this too. Maybe they will continue to argue these maps, but have a December 6th deadline for now. It's important that people write to the selectmen and/or go to this December 3rd meeting in order to show the Town that people are aware of FEMA's intrusion.

Seahag
Transient
Transient

Post by Seahag » Nov Tue 24, 2015 8:44 pm

It doesn't make much sense what FEMA did. They took 400+ houses out of Kent Park, but put maybe as many houses further up on 139 and into Rexhame in, which hadn't been in before. Honestly, makes me look askance at why Kent Park was taken out, it floods all the time in there, it backs up to the salt marsh!
I hope Gidget goes to the 12/3 meeting and gets some clarification, or goes up to town hall and meets with Mr. Guimond. I think she's putting the cart before the horse and in some ways, worrying needlessly, without knowing all the facts. Easy to do when you're a widow who is retired on a fixed income, I totally understand.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Tue 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Seahag
Thanks I will be at the 12/3 meeting.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Nov Wed 25, 2015 6:46 am

Clover
That link you posted was extremely helpful. It appears to me that it is a good idea to purchase flood insurance now. Will attend meeting and contact agent. Apparently cost of insurance will take a bit of time before it really hurts. However this is going to be a burden for this town.