Pavlik

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Zech
Transient
Transient

Pavlik

Post by Zech » Aug Tue 19, 2014 2:04 pm

MARSHFIELD – Retired U.S. Marine Corps Col. James Pavlik has returned nomination papers to challenge incumbent James Cantwell for his 4th Plymouth District seat in the state House of Representatives.
A union pilot for American Airlines and a Marshfield Republican, Pavlik supports repealing the automatic gas-tax increase, and says he hopes to help create jobs, lower the tax burden and restore integrity to the Legislature.
Pavlik graduated from Marquette University with a degree in engineering. He entered the U.S. Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Course Program in 1980, and later became a naval flight officer and instructor. He was deployed to Japan, Iraq and South Korea during his time in the military. He retired from the Marine Corps Reserve as a colonel in 2012.
Pavlik lives in Marshfield with his wife, Jeannine, his 13-year-old son, JJ, and his mother, Adeline. Pavlik is a member of both the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Re: Pavlik

Post by Gidget » Aug Tue 26, 2014 12:33 pm

Plan to vote for him. We need to shake up the Deems in this state. One party rule is not a good thing

Vlad_Rap
Transient
Transient

Post by Vlad_Rap » Sep Mon 01, 2014 6:20 pm

We need to shake up the Deems in this state.
"Deems", as in , "we deem this to be reality so it is". If that was a typo it still kinda fits. In all fairness though, not a reflection on Mr. Cantwell but on his party.

I hope this race turns out to be tight and well fought.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Mon 01, 2014 9:54 pm

There is one rather odd quote from the issues page of his website:
Jim Pavlik 2014 web site - Issues page wrote:Allowing members access to the can to be able to review any last minute language changes
Hmm - access to the can? :shock:
To review changes? :shock:

Like what - did the State House suddenly switch from Charmin to White Cloud?
I am sure all of the other State Reps will be flush with excitement over this proposal!

Not sure exactly what he meant to say there...but whatever it was, it was clear as mud.

Airline pilot, eh? Has anyone asked him his thoughts about a certain runway safety improvement project?
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Sep Tue 02, 2014 7:31 am

Bridges wrote:There is one rather odd quote from the issues page of his website:
Jim Pavlik 2014 web site - Issues page wrote:Allowing members access to the can to be able to review any last minute language changes
Hmm - access to the can? :shock:
To review changes? :shock:

Like what - did the State House suddenly switch from Charmin to White Cloud?
I am sure all of the other State Reps will be flush with excitement over this proposal!

Not sure exactly what he meant to say there...but whatever it was, it was clear as mud.

Airline pilot, eh? Has anyone asked him his thoughts about a certain runway safety improvement project?
Considering most of the crap that comes out of the State House, I would imagine that most of the business is done on the can.
America Built by Heroes, Ruined by Liberals

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Sep Tue 02, 2014 8:16 am

He'll get my vote, the US needs far more Vets compared to the number in congress now. He's conservative and took the time to stop the house and give his pitch
Good Dog

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Tue 02, 2014 9:10 pm

JIMD wrote:He'll get my vote, the US needs far more Vets compared to the number in congress now.
:shock: Oh, get a clue, JIMD!

What you just said would be remotely relevant...IF PAVLIK WERE RUNNING FOR CONGRESS (WHCH HE IS NOT).

See, in case you haven't figured it out, he's running for State Rep. against Cantwell.

And state reps wouldl typically have precious little to do with veterans affairs, or foreign policy, or defense spending, as that would be the domain of those who actually ARE in Congress!

Look at some of the empty statements on Mr. Pavlik's website:
$121 million for failed Health Connector website
Yeah, OK. You told us about a problem we already know about. What you haven't told us, is what YOU would do differently. :roll:

So go ahead, Mr. Pavlik. I am a software engineer with decades of experience on large software projects, and I would LOVE to hear SPECIFICS on what you would have done to prevent this! :roll:
Jim will fight for more local aid for our schools, work to reduce class sizes, and support the implementation of full day kindergarten statewide.
OK, so this will cost money.

How are you going to pay for it, when you have already stated you also want to cut taxes?

Get a clue folks.

You can't just say "I'd cut waste to pay for everything" and rattle off a bunch of examples of waste.

We need CONCRETE examples of what Mr. Pavlik would have done differently. And notice, he doesn't really provide any concrete suggestions.
Jim and Jeannine are both employed by American Airlines as an international pilot and flight attendant, respectively.
One would think that would take Mr. Pavlik out of state, FAR, FAR AWAY, an awful lot.

Is he planning on giving up his flying career if elected?
I doubt anyone really wants an absentee state rep...
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Wed 03, 2014 4:32 am

and I would LOVE to hear SPECIFICS on what you would have done to prevent this! :roll:

We need CONCRETE examples of what Mr. Pavlik would have done differently. And notice, he doesn't really provide any concrete suggestions
Do you hold your own to this high standard? Such as with Obamacare?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Wed 03, 2014 5:46 am

HokieAl wrote:
and I would LOVE to hear SPECIFICS on what you would have done to prevent this! :roll:

We need CONCRETE examples of what Mr. Pavlik would have done differently. And notice, he doesn't really provide any concrete suggestions
Do you hold your own to this high standard? Such as with Obamacare?
Get a clue, Hokie.

Obamacare is a FEDERAL issue. It is not in the domain of State Reps.

I commented on the STATE Healthcare connector website, becasue Mr. Pavlik did. We don't need wannabe politicians to come along and give us a laundry list of things that are wrong, without telling us what THEY would have done to prevent the issue.

Cantwell's job performance, ON THE ACTUAL ELECTED JOB, is a known quantity. And MANY in this town have been thankful for him on a number of issues, such as the sea level rise and flood insurance.

Pavlik has been strangely silent on some of these key issues - not a hint on his website about sea level rise, climate change or flood insurance.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Wed 03, 2014 7:51 am

Bridges wrote: Pavlik has been strangely silent on some of these key issues - not a hint on his website about sea level rise, climate change or flood insurance.
Encouraging to know that we may get some honesty on Beacon Hill.

BTW, aren't those FEMA maps federal?
Bridges wrote:Obamacare is a FEDERAL issue. It is not in the domain of State Reps.
Bridges wrote:So go ahead, Mr. Pavlik. I am a software engineer with decades of experience on large software projects, and I would LOVE to hear SPECIFICS on what you would have done to prevent this! :roll:
You have a double standard then. I doubt you were complaining when Pelosi said something to the effect that we need to pass it to figure out what's in it.

As for specifics, how much more do you need than over $120,000,000 was spent to develop a website that didn't work and was thrown out. Grossly incompetent and takes mismanagement to a new level, in case you can't figure this out.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Sep Wed 03, 2014 10:59 am

Bridges I know what he is running for, a goof up on my part, never the less more Vets are need in elected government.
Good Dog

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Sep Wed 03, 2014 1:48 pm

BT UNCLAS

Colonel, Sir,

Plan on a few in the peanut gallery here that for some reason can only do 3D stuff, it's like they lost something along the way...

Also we pray that the good guys who are left stranded in my old party who did not yet get eaten by termites will reemerge as their own thinkers, departing from the far side to become requainted with the Spirit of America...

It's gonna be very dark over in left field for a long time...

If I could vote for both of you, I would... In mean time, will keep sharp watch and guard 243...

Regards,

specialties@DetAlpha... Vet? U bet!! Bouncing over a White Cloud, killing the Blues...

BT
First it was the CHURCH, then the FAMILY, and now the NATION...

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Wed 03, 2014 8:48 pm

HokieAl wrote:
Bridges wrote: Pavlik has been strangely silent on some of these key issues - not a hint on his website about sea level rise, climate change or flood insurance.
Encouraging to know that we may get some honesty on Beacon Hill.

BTW, aren't those FEMA maps federal?
Get a clue - Mr. Cantwell has been VERY active, and proactive in helping the town on this issue.

I think he has spent way too much time sugarcoating reality for folks...but I have not even heard Mr. Pavlik mention the issue. At all! :shock:
HokieAl wrote:
Bridges wrote:Obamacare is a FEDERAL issue. It is not in the domain of State Reps.
Bridges wrote:So go ahead, Mr. Pavlik. I am a software engineer with decades of experience on large software projects, and I would LOVE to hear SPECIFICS on what you would have done to prevent this! :roll:
As for specifics, how much more do you need than over $120,000,000 was spent to develop a website that didn't work and was thrown out. Grossly incompetent and takes mismanagement to a new level, in case you can't figure this out.
I NEVER stated that it required more money.

MANY software contractors know exactly what sort of things went wrong on these projects.

We know, because we work huge jobs like this on a regular basis. And bring them in on time, and in budget.

I (and many others in the know) have very good ideas about the sorts of things that go wrong in managing govt. software procurements like this.

But Mr. Pavlik was the one complaining, so I'd like to hear HIM say how he'd fix it.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:12 am

Bridges wrote:Get a clue - Mr. Cantwell has been VERY active, and proactive in helping the town on this issue.
Wasting time because it's not an issue. Erosion is a problem.
Bridges wrote:We know, because we work huge jobs like this on a regular basis. And bring them in on time, and in budget.
If you're working on 121 million dollar projects, you must live in a mansion. Must be nice to be you.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:14 am

I think it would really suck to be anything like Bridges
Good Dog

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Sep Thu 04, 2014 10:04 am

JIMD wrote:I think it would really suck to be anything like Bridges

=)) =)) =))

truetownie
Visitor
Visitor

Post by truetownie » Sep Thu 04, 2014 6:29 pm

Is improving sea walls really a major priority? We could have used additional funding for more things than seawalls. I bet a majority of the sea wall constituents make $$ contributions.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Thu 04, 2014 8:39 pm

HokieAl wrote:If you're working on 121 million dollar projects, you must live in a mansion. Must be nice to be you.
:shock: Are you kidding me?

There are MANY engineers involved with govt. contracting working on projects MANY, MANY times bigger than that.

And no, I don't know too many of them living in mansions. :roll:

Projects like that might have HUGE numbers of engineers working on them, sometimes involving multiple contractors and sites.

Get a clue, Hokie! :roll:

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Thu 04, 2014 8:44 pm

I work on million dollar projects, but with only a few of us. Sorry I'm not as pompous as you.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Thu 04, 2014 8:49 pm

HokieAl wrote:I work on million dollar projects, but with only a few of us. Sorry I'm not as pompous as you.
Not being pompous, but factual.

Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Thu 04, 2014 8:51 pm

A $121,000,000 website is big by anyone's standards

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Sep Thu 04, 2014 8:53 pm

regardless of any projects you have worked on to make a living you're a real pompous ass. Hey trust me on this one. You're just not aware how you're perceived on this forum. Pompous is being polite
Good Dog

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:01 pm

HokieAl wrote:A $121,000,000 website is big by anyone's standards
Yes, but there are MANY, MANY larger jobs being worked every day. By THOUSANDS of contractors.

And they absolutely can be brought in on-time, and on-budget.

But back to the topic. Mr. Pavlik complained about this software project.

So, I'd like to hear SPECIFICS, FROM HIM, about what HE would have done differently.

Again - it's easy to rattle off a laundry list of what's broken. It's much harder to actually figure out SPECIFICALLY what went wrong, and come up with solutions.

And JIMD - do I care how I am perceived? Around here, I'd much rather be correct and disliked, than incorrect and loved. I get all the love I need elsewhere! =))

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Yes I'm sure there are larger projects, but as far as website projects, that's mammoth in terms of the price, and disgusting in terms of its success. $121,000,000 scrapped and down the drain.

You don't need to be any more specific than that.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:13 pm

HokieAl wrote:Yes I'm sure there are larger projects, but as far as website projects, that's mammoth in terms of the price, and disgusting in terms of its success. $121,000,000 scrapped and down the drain.

You don't need to be any more specific than that.
Of course you do.

Any idiot (including you...I'll not call Mr. Pavlik one) can say "Sh*t stinks".

So tell us what you are gonna do NEXT time, so that we don't wind up with a truckload of manure for our money.

How can you be so dense, Hokie? :shock:

Any fool can tell when something is screwed up. Hell, if that is all it takes, we could probably elect 5 year olds as our State Reps.

Nah - the trick is saying how you would fix the problem - SPECIFICALLY what would you do differently.

Pavlik brought up the subject - he's on the hook to provide concrete answers!

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:23 pm

A failure as gross as that, and you need specifics? Throw a dart. Anything it hits would be better than that. How about refuse to make that website in the first place? You're the biggest climate change activist around here, yet you haven't proposed anything in all your rants. I bet you don't even ride your bike to your hundred million dollar projects.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Thu 04, 2014 9:39 pm

HokieAl wrote:A failure as gross as that, and you need specifics? Throw a dart. Anything it hits would be better than that. How about refuse to make that website in the first place?
Umm - first of all, when something large screws up, you can't just go around saying "Fix everything"...or "throw the whole thing out".

We don't have the luxury with many govt. systems. What if the IRS had a massive problem with their non-public facing computer systems. You can't just tell them "Eh - you don't need that system anyway".

Again - we need SPECIFICS. And generalities too. What I REALLY want to hear from Mr. Pavlik, is how we would prevent this sort of boondoggle in large software (or integrated system) procurements.

These healthcare websites are good case studies, but there are MANY others. So let's see what MR. PAVLIK knows about this (since HE was the on doing the complaining. No free passes. Saying "Everything went wrong" is a complete cop out, and you know it).
You're the biggest climate change activist around here, yet you haven't proposed anything in all your rants.
I am not an "activist", nor are most scientists. We ARE realists.

They just try to accurately determine and state the truth, as do I. The truth just is - it has NOTHING to do with activism.
I bet you don't even ride your bike to your hundred million dollar projects.
They are not "MY" projects. Again - some of these jobs have thousands of folks involved at multiple sites...And they are VASTLY larger than the project you and Pavlik cited.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Fri 05, 2014 9:03 am

Bridges wrote: Again - we need SPECIFICS. And generalities too. What I REALLY want to hear from Mr. Pavlik, is how we would prevent this sort of boondoggle in large software (or integrated system) procurements.
He listed examples of wasted money in which mismanagement was a factor.

He needs to be a leader, not a doer. Do you really want him to say something like "we would have used HTML5 instead of Flash"? Really? If someone gets specific in an area in which they have no expertise, they're lying to you. I'm happy that he chose not to.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 06, 2014 10:16 am

HokieAl wrote:He listed examples of wasted money in which mismanagement was a factor.

He needs to be a leader, not a doer. Do you really want him to say something like "we would have used HTML5 instead of Flash"? Really? If someone gets specific in an area in which they have no expertise, they're lying to you. I'm happy that he chose not to.
The fact is, the govt. needs to purchase software...or integrated hardware and software systems.

HUGE ONES. Bigger than the ones cited here (by many times). I know this, because I have worked on them for decades.

Our political leaders do NOT need to know about Flash. Or HTML. But, for example, they probably should understand the basic concepts of agile vs. waterfall...requirements volatility (and how to properly manage it). They should know a bit about test-driven development. They should have analyzed some case studies of what went wrong in some of these projects, and why.

And they SHOULD have a game plan for how to select the expertise required to get the job done. They SHOULD know what is wrong with the PROCESS of how we run these procurements, and how we manage these contracts when awarded.

There is plenty broken with the process. And it is well documented. And it is not rocket science - you do not need to be engineer to grasp this stuff.

This would be very useful knowledge for our politicians, and the knowledge is applicable and beneficial in areas far beyond software.

The Big Dig was largely not a SW project. But would some of these concepts been beneficial in managing that mess? ABSOLUTELY!

Again - Mr. Pavlik brought it up. The State DOES procure and manage software projects. I'd like to hear HIM say what is broken, (SPECIFICALLY), and how he would fix it.

And if he does not know, then maybe he should not be shooting off his mouth about that which he does not know about.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Sat 06, 2014 10:32 am

Bridges wrote:
Again - Mr. Pavlik brought it up. The State DOES procure and manage software projects. I'd like to hear HIM say what is broken, (SPECIFICALLY), and how he would fix it.

And if he does not know, then maybe he should not be shooting off his mouth about that which he does not know about.
Why, so you can try and match wits with him? By your argument, politicians can't comment on anything because they're mostly lawyers with no expertise in the fields in which they legislate.

He could have come up with some bs to appease people Like you but I'm glad he didn't.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 06, 2014 10:35 am

HokieAl wrote: Why, so you can try and match wits with him? By your argument, politicians can't comment on anything because they're mostly lawyers with no expertise in the fields in which they legislate.
He is NOT a lawyer. He is an airline pilot, with a degree in Engineering,

We have members of Congress that are Physicians...all sorts of things. Your contention is nonsense. It is certainly NOT my contention...

But if you are gonna shoot your mouth off about a problem the way Mr. Pavlik did, then it is incumbent on you to have a clear solution in mind. Otherwise, you are just full of hot air...

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Sep Sat 06, 2014 12:18 pm

"you are just full of hot air..."
speaking of whose full of hot air!!! =)) =)) =))

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Zech wrote:"you are just full of hot air..."
speaking of whose full of hot air!!! =)) =)) =))
I am not running for office, am I?

Nor are you. You just like to sit on the sidelines and throw stones, and post ROTFL emoticons over and over. :roll:

Mr. Pavlik IS runnig for office. He posted a laundy list of problems. That puts him on the hook to provide concrete answers.

According to Hokie, he could care less if a politician can provide clear answers..as long as they can rattle off the laundry list of problems, that is fine with him.

By those incredibly low standards, Mr. Pavlik should do just fine.
A 5 year old would do just fine.
Hell, even Zech would do just fine!

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Sep Sat 06, 2014 12:40 pm

lol,and i am doing just fine thank you! =)) =)) =))
how do you know he hasn't any answers to the "laundry list of problems?" did you ask him???did he not respond??

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Zech wrote:lol,and i am doing just fine thank you! =)) =)) =))
how do you know he hasn't any answers to the "laundry list of problems?" did you ask him???did he not respond??
I have scoured his wbesite. I have listened to his interview with Parkis. All the info I could find.

Whole lot of gripes...precious few solutions.

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Sep Sat 06, 2014 1:09 pm

so you sit on the sidelines and throw stones too! =))
you have never asked him a question so you don't know what his solutions are do you??? =))

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 06, 2014 3:22 pm

Zech wrote:so you sit on the sidelines and throw stones too! =))
you have never asked him a question so you don't know what his solutions are do you??? =))
HE is running for State Office, not me.

I am not trying to get elected. The election is not about me.

If he wants to get elected (and he won't beat Cantwell anyway), I don't think rattling off a laundry-list of problems, with no talk of solutions, is gonna do it for him.

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Sep Sat 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Bridges wrote:
Zech wrote:so you sit on the sidelines and throw stones too! =))
HE is running for State Office, not me.

I am not trying to get elected. The election is not about me.

If he wants to get elected (and he won't beat Cantwell anyway), I don't think rattling off a laundry-list of problems, with no talk of solutions, is gonna do it for him.
your the one seeking answers to laundry lists so why not ask the man???see what his solutions are by asking him instead of saying he just has a laundry list problems!!if you don't ask the question you will not get an answer!!!your the one on the sideline throwing stones!!!
oh,he won't beat cantwell because of people like you!!!everyone in town is doing a good job.don't ask questions!you just do what your told!you folks are like lemmings!!! =)) =)) =))

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Sep Sat 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Where's the like button?

GoingCoastal
Site Admin
Site Admin
facebook ID: 1381994333

Post by GoingCoastal » Sep Sun 07, 2014 7:03 am