NEW FLOOD ZONE MAPS

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Re: NEW FLOOD ZONE MAPS

Post by Joseph » Dec Tue 10, 2013 10:19 am

Yup. The experts that HE picked are THE first ones to realize that the new maps are BOGUS.

Oh, THANK YOU, Congressman!

From the article:
"Numerical modeling isn’t something you take lightly. It’s time-consuming,” Ramsey said. “But when you’re making huge changes that will cost people serious dollars, you might want to consider making that effort.”

How about this:
Legislating isn’t something you take lightly. It’s time-consuming...but when you’re making huge changes that will cost people serious dollars, you might want to consider making that effort.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Dec Tue 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Hey Bridges! Just trying to be a good neighbor.:) I am reading a list of names and addresses of people supposedly included in FEMA's expanded flood zone. Your name is on the list.

Is there something you're not telling us?

Did you check, thoroughly, into whether you are officially in or out? The folks at town hall did say that the info they posted a while back was not completely 100% accurate, so maybe you are out and just on the border?

This list and these messy maps makes me wonder, how are mortgage lenders going get information about people newly mapped into a flood zone or about new elevations? Who is going to tell them, and is the info going to be correct?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Dec Wed 11, 2013 12:16 am

clover wrote:Hey Bridges! Just trying to be a good neighbor.:) I am reading a list of names and addresses of people supposedly included in FEMA's expanded flood zone. Your name is on the list.

Is there something you're not telling us?

Did you check, thoroughly, into whether you are officially in or out? The folks at town hall did say that the info they posted a while back was not completely 100% accurate, so maybe you are out and just on the border?

This list and these messy maps makes me wonder, how are mortgage lenders going get information about people newly mapped into a flood zone or about new elevations? Who is going to tell them, and is the info going to be correct?

Yeah. and if Bridges's house in Marshfield is a 'second home' - he is in the group that will get whacked really hard!

How can anyone be SO STOOPID to take a second home in a Flood Plain just as new rates are about to kick in?

RETREAT! RETREAT - to Newton!

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Wed 11, 2013 7:00 am

Joseph wrote:Yeah. and if Bridges's house in Marshfield is a 'second home' - he is in the group that will get whacked really hard!

How can anyone be SO STOOPID to take a second home in a Flood Plain just as new rates are about to kick in?

RETREAT! RETREAT - to Newton!
You are the stupid one.

You say this on a daily basis, and I tell you on a daily basis:

THIS IS MY PRIMARY HOME.
IT IS MY OFFICIAL ADDRESS
I VOTE HERE

Is that #*#*# clear enough for you!? :roll:

Not in the least bit worried about flood insurance. I fully expect to be included at some point.
But I have owned my home free and clear for ages, and will not buy flood insurance. It's that simple.

I am in ZERO danger for waves / storm surge, and ALL of the models I have looked at show I will have no problems until LONG after I will be done caring...

And FWIW, I just checked the maps again at Town of Marshfield website. Map 227J still shows me out.
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Dec Wed 11, 2013 8:53 am

Why don't you get a 'Hilltop' cow to put on your lawn or in your playroom?

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_ ... ioned.html

Irish Whisper
Resident
Resident

Post by Irish Whisper » Dec Wed 11, 2013 11:11 am

Clover,
Are you serious about a list of names? and, if so, who has this list and how can people see it?

Thanks,
Irish

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Dec Wed 11, 2013 11:43 am

Bridges wrote:Not in the least bit worried about flood insurance. I fully expect to be included at some point.
But I have owned my home free and clear for ages, and will not buy flood insurance. It's that simple.
Well, you better hope to sell your house to someone - for CASH, no mortgage involved.

Maybe someone you know can do it.

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Dec Wed 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Joseph wrote:
Bridges wrote:Not in the least bit worried about flood insurance. I fully expect to be included at some point.
Well, you better hope to sell your house to someone - for CASH, no mortgage involved.

Maybe someone you know can do it.

your exactly right about that!talked to a real estate (national chain company)agent who said the first thing a buyer asks now is if the house is in a flood plain or if it could be in the near future!I was told that kills the deal right there.even if the seller is willing to lower the price,it doesn't matter.

the agent told me unless he could find a cash buyer,good luck selling.not many buyers have $300K or more in cash on hand to buy a house.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Wed 11, 2013 2:13 pm

I don't want to sell this home, nor do I need to.

I have another home to go to if need be. No skin off my back really what happens to his house.
We are keeping it because we like it here, not because we need to be here, or need the house.

Legally, it is our primary home. We spend most of our time here, and vote here. But we can change that whenever we want.

Or we could simply rent it.
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Dec Wed 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Hey Goody Two Shoes Liberal, on another thread some family is looking for a place to live, what do you say?
Good Dog

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Wed 11, 2013 2:40 pm

I say what I just said.

RIGHT NOW, this is our primary home.

That is not likely to change in time to help them.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Dec Wed 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Really, I do not understand the lack of compassion for those people in Marshfield pushed into the flood plain and who will be at some point forced to pay high flood insurance. This will devastate this town and the people who live here - all of us. And I still do not understand why? Why is the govt forcing people to pay flood insurance who do not want it? What is the advantage of forcing people out of their homes and ruining a town? There has always been a risk living near the ocean whether you believe in globing warming or not. At one time, the govt stayed out of your business.
Risk is a part of life. Less government, more freedom! We need to elect people who believe in these principles.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Wed 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Gidget wrote:Really, I do not understand the lack of compassion for those people in Marshfield pushed into the flood plain and who will be at some point forced to pay high flood insurance.
Reality is sometimes harsh. It is still reality.

Sea level rise is VERY real.

For decades, the NFIP has been charging unrealistically low rates that don't cover it's costs.
Hence, it is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.

We needed NFIP because private insurers know a bad risk when they see one, and wanted out of that business.

The problems were CLEAR and OBVIOUS, which is why Biggert-Waters passed with widespread, BI-PARTISAN support.

Of course, once there was a backlash, some politicians (but notably not all, e.g. many conservative Republicans) caved, and did an about face under pressure.

Delaying reform for a program that is already teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, does nobody any good.

You can legislate a delay in new legislation. YOU CAN NOT LEGISLATE A DELAY WITH MOTHER NATURE. What do our legislators intend to do in the next four years, as the program sinks further into debt, and then another giant storm hits?

Are they gonna legislate away storms?
This will devastate this town and the people who live here - all of us.
No - SEA LEVEL RISE is going to devastate the town eventually.

Insurance rate increases are just one symptom of that.
And I still do not understand why? Why is the govt forcing people to pay flood insurance who do not want it?
IT IS NOT UP TO THE GOVT. IT IS UP TO THE MORTGAGE LENDERS.

If you do not have a loan, NOBODY CAN COMPEL YOU TO BUY INSURANCE.

If you do have a loan, THEN THE PROPERTY IS NOT OWNED SOLELY BY YOU. IT ALSO OWNED BY THE LENDER, AND THEY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO INSIST THAT YOU PROTECT THEIR INVESTMENT!

If you don't like that, pay off the loan, and then you don't need the insurance.
What is the advantage of forcing people out of their homes and ruining a town?
If the land is going to flood eventually anyway, then there is a HUGE advantage to getting folks out of harms way before that happens.

Property / flood damage costs EVERYBODY money. Might even cost folks their lives in a storm. Much better to get folks out of harm's way BEFORE that happens.
There has always been a risk living near the ocean whether you believe in globing warming or not. At one time, the govt stayed out of your business.
You have a lot of nerve, taking insurance SUBSIDIZED by said govt, (aka - the taxpayers, INCLUDING those who live nowhere near a flood zone), then telling the govt. to "get out of your business".

Fine. Then let's end all govt. subsidies for flood insurance, end NFIP, and let you take your chances with private insurers.

And good luck with that! =))
Risk is a part of life. Less government, more freedom! We need to elect people who believe in these principles.
THEN DON'T TAKE GOVT. SUBSIDIES! :roll:

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Dec Wed 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Irish Whisper wrote:Clover,
Are you serious about a list of names? and, if so, who has this list and how can people see it?

Thanks,
Irish
Yes, I'm serious, and my short answer would be to ask Town Hall for the information.

For some background on the list, from what I know, it was generated by FEMA (or someone contracted by FEMA) and was given to the town as an attachment to a map showing the new flood zones. The list was at one point online at the town's website and shows the parcels and structures newly mapped into the flood zone.

When it was first put online, a few friends of mine noticed it and made copies for themselves. I believe the MCCC also noticed it was there and maybe they were going to use it to notify people.

When the town realized that people had seen the list and were starting to ask questions, the folks at Town Hall removed the list from the town website. I believe town administrators did comment that the list was not 100% accurate (how they know that I don't know.)

As far as I know the list is not available online but I will check again for it later. I do know one friend has sent a freedom of information request, twice, for the link to be restored. He says he has received no response. I have a copy that is not in it's original format so is a little jumbled but is readable. I could maybe try to post some kind of link to it here (not sure I know how to do that) but that would have to be later also.

Town administrators would probably not be too happy with me if the list is posted, since for some reason they prefer it to be unavailable, but I guess there is nothing "illegal" about posting something they had already put online. As in the case of Bridges's property, some properties are on the list that are close but not in the new shaded areas on the maps. Maybe this worries Town Hall but it seems to me, that regardless of the total accuracy of the list, the townspeople should be notified if their name and address appears on this FEMA document. This flood insurance issue is going to be too costly for some people and they should have fair warning. Also, if FEMA lists a property, does that mean they are in the flood zone or are the maps more important? People should be able to know.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Dec Thu 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Are you telling me that the lenders forced the new FEMA flood zone maps? Please, those same lenders had no problem giving mortgages to homes previously outside the new maps. If I had my way, I would go back to the good old days before FEMA. If you want to live near the ocean then you must take the personal risk and not be subsidized by the govt. I never had flood insurance, don't intend to have flood insurance as I own my home. I am willing to take the risk. However, I feel for my younger neighbors that cannot afford these new insurance rates. Your logic baffles me. You are fine with pouring millions into the airport right smack dab in a flood zone but want to drive their neighbors out of their homes. Go figure.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Dec Thu 12, 2013 7:27 pm

Do not expect compassion from the gang that is in power.
Do not fall for the lip service from the local pols and state representatives.
It's all about the BUCK$.

It's in the town's Master Plan presentation: The big developers have the money that small most individual homeowners don't have to build flood resistant structures. This mean multi-level condos with ocean views...once land values drop down and the peasants are forced out. Can you say gentrification? How about Revere Beach?

40B's, 40R's, airport expansion, higher flood premiums and higher property taxes for more government employees, employees raises and bonuses and 'travel allowances,' and government projects equals good-bye middle class residential neighborhoods of Fieldston, Ocean Bluff and Brant Rock.

Precincts 1 & 3 - about to get whacked - the same precincts with some of the lowest voter turnouts in local elections and poorest turnouts at town meeting. When will they stand up and be heard again?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Thu 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Gidget wrote:Are you telling me that the lenders forced the new FEMA flood zone maps?
No, I am telling you that sea level rise forced the new FEMA maps.

What good are maps that don't reflect the reality of the science?
Please, those same lenders had no problem giving mortgages to homes previously outside the new maps.
Nobody forces anyone to take a loan. THAT IS A CHOICE.

But lenders have every right to insist that YOU protect THEIR property. If they have money invested in it, then some portion of it (perhaps most of it) IS THEIR INVESTMENT.
If I had my way, I would go back to the good old days before FEMA. If you want to live near the ocean then you must take the personal risk and not be subsidized by the govt
You and I are in 100% agreement on that point.

But I think few of your neighbors would agree. They've been living on the taxpayer dole with govt. subsidized flood insurance for years. You are advocating taking that away, and all of our state legislators seem to be for continuing the subsidies.
I never had flood insurance, don't intend to have flood insurance as I own my home. I am willing to take the risk. However, I feel for my younger neighbors that cannot afford these new insurance rates.
The subsidies that we have seen in the past WERE NOT SUSTAINABLE.

The system was deficit spending, and that is bound to catch up with you eventually. Couple with sea level rise and climate change, and we are in new, uncharted, dangerous territory.

Either rates have to skyrocket, or we scrap NFIP entirely (and I am all for that).
Your logic baffles me. You are fine with pouring millions into the airport right smack dab in a flood zone
I have explained my logic countless times. Please pay attention this time.

1) The airport runway had not been paved in decades. Unlike any other road in town that old. And it sees vehicles routinely traveling well over 100 MPH.

2) Given that the runway needed to be paved anyway, it certainly made sense to let the Fed pick up the tab for something like 95% of the cost.

3) The airport has zero risk from wave action. It is only at risk from long-term sea level rise.

4) By the time long term sea level rise MIGHT be a problem, it will be well past the time when the runway would be due to be repaved again.

THEREFORE, THERE IS ZERO RISK TO THIS PROJECT. AT WORST, YOU ESSENTIALLY GET ONE ALMOST-FREE PAVING CYCLE.

5) When it is time for repaving again in a couple of decades or so, and it looks like there might be a real risk of flooding, then it's quite simple: you don't do the repaving then.

The point being - THERE IS ZERO RISK AT THIS TIME.

Irish Whisper
Resident
Resident

Post by Irish Whisper » Dec Fri 13, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks for the info. Clover. Hopefully, I'll be able to get down there at some point and ask to see the list. In the meantime, if you could find a way to post it, that would be great. Thank you.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Dec Fri 13, 2013 11:18 am

Bridges wrote:THEREFORE, THERE IS ZERO RISK TO THIS PROJECT. AT WORST, YOU ESSENTIALLY GET ONE ALMOST-FREE PAVING CYCLE.

5) When it is time for repaving again in a couple of decades or so, and it looks like there might be a real risk of flooding, then it's quite simple: you don't do the repaving then.

So, let's still spend $20 +++ MILLION dollars ('Free Money'???), permanently alter the Green harbor estuary, put residents through hell - so we can then abandon it. And, in the meantime other airports not far away are at much higher and drier locations.

Gidget
Resident
Resident

Post by Gidget » Dec Fri 13, 2013 4:30 pm

This is what I don't understand. You said that that it is logical to spend millions of dollars to repave an airport because the risk is "long term". Yet, it makes sense to force people to take flood insurance they do not want (homes that are much farther away from the ocean than the airport) for a risk that is long term. Long before this future storm hits; the financial storm of obscene flood insurance rates will devastate this town.
Yet let us focus on what we do agree on - it is not the govt duty to provide insurance to those who chose to live right near the ocean. I will not argue that there is a risk. It is time to get rid of FEMA. I have spoken to many of my neighbors and NO ONE previously chose to buy flood insurance. Why are they being forced to do so now? I guess it is to bail out a bloated govt agency.

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Dec Fri 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Bridges said... No, I am telling you that sea level rise forced the new FEMA maps.

What a crock of crap. FEMA drew maps to extort citizens.

You are a fool, why does the government need to be in the mix?
Good Dog

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Fri 13, 2013 8:07 pm

Gidget wrote:This is what I don't understand. You said that that it is logical to spend millions of dollars to repave an airport because the risk is "long term". Yet, it makes sense to force people to take flood insurance they do not want (homes that are much farther away from the ocean than the airport) for a risk that is long term.
Nobody is FORCED to take anything.

Nobody is FORCED to get a mortgage.

People sign on the dotted line, with full knowledge the lender may require them to insure the property.

If you don't like that, DON'T TAKE THE MONEY! It's really that simple.

But again, if you took the loan, then essentially IT IS NO LONGER YOUR PROPERTY.
The lender at that point, has as much say as you do (actually, more say - AND YOU AGREED TO THAT, WHEN YOU SIGNED ON THE DOTTED LINE!).
Long before this future storm hits;
For some people. For those near the shoreline, a bad Noreaster can (and has) taken folks out. And as sea levels rise, and the weather gets more severe, that will happen more often.

As for folks not at risk of wave action, it comes down to this.
You can't wait until they flood out to take action.

The only effective strategy, is MANAGED retreat.
And that can only succeed if it's a gradual process.

If you wait until sea levels rise, and a neighborhood which has never flooded suddenly gets inundated in some big storm, the results would be financially disastrous (and possibly life threatening).

Which is why agencies such as the US EPA are advocating managed retreat (not to mention Scituate Selectman and climate researcher Rick Murray).

This way, as the opportunity arises, you gradually get people and property out of harm's way.

So yes, an increase in NFIP rates to reflect ACTUAL risk, is one way you accomplish this.

If you keep letting folks ride the gravy train until they take a big hit, and then need to make a claim, the system will simply go under. That is EXACTLY what has been happening for decades, and why the system is teetering on the brink of collapse.
the financial storm of obscene flood insurance rates will devastate this town.
No - climate change will devastate the town. NFIP rates are just a symptom of that.
Yet let us focus on what we do agree on - it is not the govt duty to provide insurance to those who chose to live right near the ocean. I will not argue that there is a risk. It is time to get rid of FEMA.
No - not FEMA.

FEMA is the Federal Emergency Management Agency. I think we kind of need one of those. They take care of all kinds of emergencies that have NOTHING to do with climate change or sea level rise.

I would assume what you mean is that you want to get rid of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). And I wholeheartedly agree with you there.

But be cognizant of what will happen if we go that route.

Private insurers left this market in droves, way back in the 1960s. The situation has only gotten MUCH, MUCH worse since then.

If we end NFIP, there will be few, if any, private insurers writing this coverage. At any price.

Lenders, of course, will still insist on insurance to protect their investments.

The end result will be - pay cash for home purchases, or go without a home.

Is that the situation you want? BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR!
I have spoken to many of my neighbors and NO ONE previously chose to buy flood insurance. Why are they being forced to do so now? I guess it is to bail out a bloated govt agency.
Because lenders insist on it. They believe the science (as do insurers).

If you don't like that, then pay off your loan, and then nobody can force you to purchase flood insurance.

Irish Whisper
Resident
Resident

Post by Irish Whisper » Dec Mon 16, 2013 12:12 pm

From Bridges ...."Which is why agencies such as the US EPA are advocating managed retreat (not to mention Scituate Selectman and climate researcher Rick Murray)".

Who, incidently, has not retreated.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Mon 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Irish Whisper wrote:From Bridges ...."Which is why agencies such as the US EPA are advocating managed retreat (not to mention Scituate Selectman and climate researcher Rick Murray)".

Who, incidently, has not retreated.
Where have you been? Under a rock? :roll:

I explained this already. We thought long and hard about moving for quite a while, but decided that financially we could swing carrying both homes.

The point is, WE HAVE A PLAN B.

I am not (and have never) been on the tapxpayer dole with flood insurance subsidized by everyone else.

And since I own the Marshfield home free and clear, I cannot be compelled to purchase flood insurance down the road. Yes - that was a factor in my decision.

And since we have another home to go to, we can leave this home as suddenly as needed. That other home is well inland, and not near any sort of flood zone.

Our Marshfield home, while LEGALLY our primary residence, is effectively our secondary residence. We kept it because we like it here, and it will make a nice 2nd home in retirement. And at this point, we still do spend more time here...

All the models I have looked at show that this house is in zero danger from wave action, and by the time it is in danger from sea level rise, I will be past caring.

I could care less about selling it. I don't need to, and don't want to . Perhaps we may rent it for a while, but again, we don't need to. And if it floods down the road, we shrug our shoulders and say "Oh well".

In other words, we have a carefully thought out plan. When we do retreat, it WILL be a managed retreat, because we've already put all of the pieces into place (and been working the pieces out for a few years now).

And in case you meant Mr. Murray has not retreated, perhaps he does not need to either? :roll: Why don't you ask him, instead of postulating stupid theories about him on a forum?

http://www.bu.edu/bostonia/2013/pov-is- ... ew-normal/

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Dec Thu 19, 2013 5:15 pm

From Jim Cantwell

"The Marshfield Selectmen, Steve Robbins, Matt McDonough, and John Hall have done a great job on this"

Yeah, right. :roll:
For months, they've had a list of the affected homeowners but won't post the names and haven't notified people.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Jan Tue 28, 2014 7:38 am

http://www.marshfieldcoastalcoalition.org

U.S. Senate voted yesterday to debate amendments to Biggert-Waters and delay implementation of most proposed flood insurance rates.

Looks like Obama is against delaying flood insurancere increases.
He wants more of your money.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... es_op.html

I see in the Comments section of the story that some people are saying 'Red (Republican) states' are being hit the hardest by the changes to the flood maps and the increase in insurance premiums.

Don't know if it's true - but it's probably true that the areas of Massachusetts that may be hit the hardest by the flood map changes and insurance premium increases are the Republican-leaning coastal towns and counties - especially on the South Shore and Cape.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Jan Tue 28, 2014 7:41 am

clover wrote:From Jim Cantwell

"The Marshfield Selectmen, Steve Robbins, Matt McDonough, and John Hall have done a great job on this"

For months, they've had a list of the affected homeowners but won't post the names and haven't notified people.

Could it be that they don't want to get too many of the natives all riled up at once?

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Jan Tue 28, 2014 7:41 am

That would be like bridgegate on a mammoth scale. Let's hope that's not true.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Tue 28, 2014 12:05 pm

The Obama Administration speaks out against Biggert-Waters delay:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... es_op.html

Senator Mary Landrieu fights back:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... _hous.html

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Tue 28, 2014 1:18 pm

HokieAl wrote:
Joseph wrote:
clover wrote:From Jim Cantwell

Could it be that they don't want to get too many of the natives all riled up at once?
That would be like bridgegate on a mammoth scale. Let's hope that's not true.
They don't want people riled up and coming to Town Hall with questions. Keep 'em stupid and make sure they don't come to Town Meeting to vote down those maps.

Here's a link to the list. The second tab at the bottom provides names and addresses of people whose "structures" are NEWLY mapped into the Special Flood Hazard Area.

Thanks to the resident who paid the ransom to unlock this information! I've already called a few folks and they don't know they're in the new flood zone,... yet "Steve Robbins, Matt McDonough, and John Hall have done a great job on this." :roll: Ok, whatever you say, Jim. :roll:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y35jvnwdlv2v ... 02014.xlsx

Irish Whisper
Resident
Resident

Post by Irish Whisper » Jan Tue 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for the link...but its not working :(

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Tue 28, 2014 2:57 pm

Irish Whisper wrote:Thanks for the link...but its not working :(
It works for me and another has said it works. What do you see on your end? Any error messages?

Max

Post by Max » Jan Tue 28, 2014 3:21 pm

It works for me also. I just downloaded the file from dropbox.

It's hard to believe that some of those addresses are in the new flood zones.
The worst offense that can be committed by a polemic is to stigmatize those who hold a contrary opinion as bad and immoral men. John Stuart Mill, 1806-73

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
Benjamin Franklin,

Irish Whisper
Resident
Resident

Post by Irish Whisper » Jan Tue 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Clover,
Now it does come up, but it just gives me two choices: download or add to my Dropbox. There are no tabs.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Irish

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Jan Tue 28, 2014 6:12 pm

You need to download it and save it, and then open it. It's an Excel file.

Irish Whisper
Resident
Resident

Post by Irish Whisper » Jan Tue 28, 2014 7:28 pm

Ok thank you HokieAl. I was able to download and view but not save. I'm on an iPad.

Here's a question. I went to the town and they told me, after viewing the new maps, that I am NOT in the new flood zone and when you look at the maps one can see that my home is NOT in the new zone. Yet, this link, lists my property as in the flood zone.

What gives? And who do I need to speak to to get my name off this list?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Jan Tue 28, 2014 8:12 pm

You folks are just gonna randomly download some spreadsheet from an unknown source and open it? Seriously?

Malware can lurk in there, and this'd be a great way to spread it. Just sayin'.

Me - I'll open it in a Linux VM when I get a minute, just to play it safe...

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Jan Tue 28, 2014 8:23 pm

No risk if excel isn't running macros.

And I doubt iPads will have any problems.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Jan Tue 28, 2014 8:32 pm

HokieAl wrote:No risk if excel isn't running macros.
Yes - but what you just said is Greek to many folks...

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Jan Tue 28, 2014 8:38 pm

As is what you said about virtual box....