Graduation

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Krissie143
Visitor
Visitor

Graduation

Post by Krissie143 » May Wed 29, 2013 12:05 pm

A general question for all. As you know graduation is just around the corner. This year there are many students that did not meet the required credits for graduation. These will be made up in summer school. Marshfield High School say's that these students will no longer be allowed to walk with their classmates or participate in the ceremony. In the past these children participated in this once in a lifetime chance but received a blank diploma. A proper diploma was issued after all credits were made up..What are people thoughts on this please?

hgbv
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Graduation

Post by hgbv » May Wed 29, 2013 1:07 pm

I believe this is a disgusting display of tyrant leadership by the Principle and suggest he stay with the old building, we should find new leadership for the new high school. How dare the administration take away a students moment to walk at graduation because they may have low grades but are willing to make them up at summer school. I also heard that some kids are not allowed to attend Grad Night Live which is a private event not a school event. Way to go Bob, just kick the kids out on the street during one of the most dangerous nights of the year.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Wed 29, 2013 1:23 pm

My first thoughts when reading this post was it HAS to be a Kuether issue!!! :roll:
You would never have this as an issue under Mr Deftos.

The year my daughter graduated,Kuether told a girl who was pregnant at the time she couldn't walk!It wasn't until her parents threatened a law suit,that he finally "allowed" her to walk.

My second thought is why isn't the guidance dept on top of these students who are in danger of not graduation, for what ever reason!They have a student for 4 yrs!They should be tracking students who are not meeting grades or credits prior to graduation.

And you wonder why kids just drop out?Why change the policy?They have always allowed those students to walk with their classmates.

Mulligan
Transient
Transient

Post by Mulligan » May Wed 29, 2013 2:39 pm

Carson wrote:
............why isn't the guidance dept on top of these students who are in danger of not graduation, for what ever reason!They have a student for 4 yrs!They should be tracking students who are not meeting grades or credits prior to graduation.
Unless they're short of credits simply as a result of having failed a course/courses during their very last term, that's a very, very good question.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Wed 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Mulligan wrote:
Carson wrote:
............why isn't the guidance dept on top of these students who are in danger of not graduation, for what ever reason!They have a student for 4 yrs!They should be tracking students who are not meeting grades or credits prior to graduation.
Unless they're short of credits simply as a result of having failed a course/courses during their very last term, that's a very, very good question.
Well,that is what marking periods are for!I would think if someone was in a failure situation,that guidance should be tracking them?I know for a fact students courses can be weekly monitored by sending weekly forms to the classroom teachers.That way they would know grades,homework not being done or reports not being turned in.Why would they wait until last term to find this out?

Many teachers will allow you do to extra credit work,projects or papers to get the grade up to at least pass the course.Most are willing to work with the student if it's going to hold them back from graduating.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » May Wed 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Any idea how many kids are going to have to take classes this summer? My other thought is you should have to earn the right to walk up and get a diploma, not a blank piece of paper. There really shouldnt be any reason somebody hasnt completed the required credits
America Built by Heroes, Ruined by Liberals

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

tmgreenharbor
Tourist
Tourist

Post by tmgreenharbor » May Wed 29, 2013 4:18 pm

In all the responses one word was missing "PARENTS".

Fergudi
Resident
Resident

Post by Fergudi » May Wed 29, 2013 5:27 pm

This policy has been in place for many years. Most of the students that don't get to walk, don't care... The students and their parents would have been made aware of the pending situation long in advance. The students that don't get to go to Grad Night Live, must have done some stupid stuff... Should I have been upset when my nephew was told not to return to school after the April vacation a few years ago because he was not going to graduate and would be too old the following year? Nope,I was upset that he pissed an opportunity away...

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Wed 29, 2013 5:39 pm

In my son's college graduating class,they allowed students to walk who were going to take a summer course in order to graduate.They still allowed them to walk even though they were one course shy of the required credits.

The whole graduation ceremony is just that!A ceremony.It's for the parents and grandparents/family.,

In case anyone missed it the topic of the thread was:
"Marshfield High School say's that these students will no longer be allowed to walk with their classmates or participate in the ceremony."

Fergudi
Resident
Resident

Post by Fergudi » May Wed 29, 2013 6:02 pm

In my sons Marshfield High School graduating class five years ago, he had a friend who was not allowed to walk as he had not finished his required courses.

We cannot complain about the youth of today being lazy, if we allow them to all get participation awards for just showing up... A Diploma is an award that needs to be earned...

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Wed 29, 2013 6:24 pm

They are not GIVING them anything.They are not giving them a diploma,they are just letting them attend a ceremony.

I know MHS allowed this in 2006.I know for a fact that Westfield State and Bridgewater State they allow students to walk even though they are short credits and will be taking summer courses.They are not giving them a Bachelor degree!!They will earn it when the complete their summer work!

Believe me, I know all about earning things.My daughter will be getting her Masters this weekend.She has worked her butt off for a 4.0 while going to college at night,working and putting in 750 hours of internship to get her degree.The family is extremely proud of her.

I am just glad at least her grandmother at 81 is in good health to see her graduation ceremony.You never know.That's what the ceremony is all about.She already has the degree which will be mailed to her!

I know there probably are others who are walking that day who haven't earned degrees just yet.Maybe a course short and taking a summer course.Doesn't bother me in the least.I could care less.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » May Wed 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Why are there so many kids who havent earned the appropriate credits? By the way it is a ceremony to honor those who have put in the work and earned it. There is no guarantee that these kids are going to complete required course work in the first place. I find it pretty shameful that the course work and credits were not already completed.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Wed 29, 2013 7:20 pm

It isn't just courses,you can not get a diploma due to absences too.If you have to many then you will be denied and have to make up time in summer school.

I know in another high school they have what they call "in danger" students that are listed with the guidance and work with them prior to graduation to get them on track so they can graduate.

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » May Wed 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Carson wrote:It isn't just courses,you can not get a diploma due to absences too.If you have to many then you will be denied and have to make up time in summer school.

I know in another high school they have what they call "in danger" students that are listed with the guidance and work with them prior to graduation to get them on track so they can graduate.
I didn't know that Marshfield was ground zero for so many sick kids. Unless there was some extreme medical issue, there is no excuse for not completing your course work to graduate. If these kids and their parents actually cared in the first place this would not be an issue.

S-BAG
Transient
Transient

Post by S-BAG » May Thu 30, 2013 7:58 am

It is not hard to make sure you have the credits to graduate. Not like it was a surprise to them and hopefully their parents. No credits, no graduate. We had a couple kids in my class that could not walk. Why should they get special treatment over the kids who worked their butts off to get to that special day. Disappointment is part of life.

kevin shapter
Tourist
Tourist

Post by kevin shapter » May Fri 31, 2013 9:36 am

I know student's who have earned their diploma's and have decided not to attend the ceremony. Cant say I blame them, 3 hours in 90 degree heat to listen to the Superintendent, Principle, Teachers, P.T.O, School Committee and town leadership pat their self on the back. And then the Student will receive 5 seconds of attention. Yay.
FORMERLY ABBEY CARPET OF MARSHFIELD. NOW ABBEY FLOORS EXPRESS
CUSTOM FLOORS AT YOUR DOOR!
http://www.abbeyfloorsexpress.com

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » May Fri 31, 2013 10:09 am

I don't know what town you live in, but I have attended many Marshfield graduations. First of all, they never run 3 hours. Secondly, there are no speeches from the PTO, teachers or school committee. The Principal and Superintendent do speak but generally very briefly. The featured speakers are always the top three students as well as an original poem by a student and musical selections by students. It is a very student centered event and each student is called individually to come forward across the stage to receive their diploma one at a time. Maybe in your town it is done differently, but in Marshfield it has always been a very solemn and well planned event.

kevin shapter
Tourist
Tourist

Post by kevin shapter » May Fri 31, 2013 11:27 am

M.H.S email, graduation Saturday 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm stadium opens at 12:30
FORMERLY ABBEY CARPET OF MARSHFIELD. NOW ABBEY FLOORS EXPRESS
CUSTOM FLOORS AT YOUR DOOR!
http://www.abbeyfloorsexpress.com

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Jun Sun 02, 2013 11:19 am

So did the kids that where to lazy to do the class work get to walk or not?

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Jun Sun 02, 2013 11:40 am

lost cause wrote:So did the kids that where to lazy to do the class work get to walk or not?
do you really care?what's it to you?you losing sleep over it? =))

lost cause
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by lost cause » Jun Sun 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Zech wrote:
lost cause wrote:So did the kids that where to lazy to do the class work get to walk or not?
do you really care?what's it to you?you losing sleep over it? =))
No but since people on the forum were so sure that people who can't do the work should be rewarded, I thought I would ask what the outcome was.

zoomzoom
Transient
Transient

Post by zoomzoom » Jun Sun 02, 2013 3:03 pm

S-BAG wrote:It is not hard to make sure you have the credits to graduate. Not like it was a surprise to them and hopefully their parents. No credits, no graduate. We had a couple kids in my class that could not walk. Why should they get special treatment over the kids who worked their butts off to get to that special day. Disappointment is part of life.

exactly.

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Jun Sun 02, 2013 3:11 pm

hgbv wrote:I believe this is a disgusting display of tyrant leadership by the Principle and suggest he stay with the old building, we should find new leadership for the new high school. How dare the administration take away a students moment to walk at graduation because they may have low grades but are willing to make them up at summer school. I also heard that some kids are not allowed to attend Grad Night Live which is a private event not a school event. Way to go Bob, just kick the kids out on the street during one of the most dangerous nights of the year.
ya what he said!

zoomzoom
Transient
Transient

Post by zoomzoom » Jun Sun 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Zech wrote:
hgbv wrote:I believe this is a disgusting display of tyrant leadership by the Principle and suggest he stay with the old building, we should find new leadership for the new high school. How dare the administration take away a students moment to walk at graduation because they may have low grades but are willing to make them up at summer school. I also heard that some kids are not allowed to attend Grad Night Live which is a private event not a school event. Way to go Bob, just kick the kids out on the street during one of the most dangerous nights of the year.
ya what he said!
And you are the one, no doubt, with the kids who feel they can do nothing and get everything, just like you. l-)

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Jun Sun 02, 2013 7:00 pm

honey i hope you get that salad soon!your getting real cranky!!! =))

Holly Hill Gal
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Holly Hill Gal » Jun Mon 03, 2013 4:49 pm

I have to say it would not bother me if kids who didn't have enough credits didn't get to walk. My child barely graduated. This was recently, but I will not say what year. We didn't know till the Monday before graduation whether she/he would graduate or not. If she/he didn't, I don't think he/she would have wanted to walk, and I don't think I would have wanted to be there. It would have hurt too much.

We knew the whole school year that he/she was in danger of not graduating. Because she/he hated school. Believe me, it's not always because the parents are lazy. I put in more hours sweating it out, following up, and pushing to the extent that I nearly had a nervous breakdown. Guidance knows too, but they can't do the work for the student. Neither can the parent. So, when a child doesn't have enough credits to graduate, don't assume it's the parents fault, or the schools fault, or Guidance's fault. Seniors are 18 or soon will be. They are adults, or at least considered to be. They are the ones who ultimately need to step up to the plate or suffer the consequences.

Thankfully it all worked out and my child graduated. Do I wish he/she had done better in school? Of course. But we do the best we can, and that's the best we can do.