I need a Veterinarian ASAP!

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Bzemom
Citizen
Citizen

I need a Veterinarian ASAP!

Post by Bzemom » May Sun 19, 2013 1:26 pm

So, my daughter comes home for the summer from school with a 6 month old Shiba Imu that she and her roommates pitched in for and bought before thinking it through. Needless to say, he is now mine, like it or not. He's a gorgeous purebreed pup -- they got him from a breeder in Pennsylvania on a road trip (shame on him for selling him to 4 college students, though!). In any event, I need to get him to a vet for a check up and shots, etc. ASAP. I need a recommendation for a good, reasonably priced (puppy wasn't in my budget!) vet in Marshfield. Please help!

Justsayin1
Visitor
Visitor

Re: I need a Veterinarian ASAP!

Post by Justsayin1 » May Sun 19, 2013 3:43 pm

If you're willing to go outside of Marshfield, try Banfield at Petsmart in either Plymouth or Braintree. They have a pay by month plan for puppies that is fantastic. It includes all shots, at least 2 checkups, bloodwork, sick visits etc. and even a spay if you want to include it in the package. We go to Plymouth and the vets are great. Our dog is 2 now, and we pay about $22 per month for 2 checkups a year, all office/sick visits, shots and labwork is included. It is well worth a little drive.

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Sun 19, 2013 4:22 pm

My daughter came home with a cat,which almost came with an Akita!Beautiful dog but I enforced the one pet per this household rule!

My daughter brought the cat to http://www.vcahospitals.com/south-shore-weymouth. She used the internet special they have for first time clients which gives you a free exam.The shots for rabies and distemper were extra.She had Dr Perry, who was so patient allowing her to ask her 100 questions about the cat.

What she liked too was they are open 24hrs a day.If anything is an emergency she can get in no matter the time.They have their surgical rooms,xray and lab right there.They even have PT pools for the dogs they said and board dogs/cats out back.My daughter said the facility would rival most medical centers!

All I can say is be thankful your son doesn't come home with a snake which went for a ride on the MBTA! :roll:

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » May Sun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Do not go to VCA in Weymouth. Incredibly high prices and recommendations for services that are not needed. I highly recommend Marshfield Vets on Plain St and especially Dr. Barrow. They are kind and considerate to their clients.

Tucson
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Tucson » May Mon 20, 2013 8:30 am

Dr. Bruce Berridge, Duxbury Animal Hospital! Been giving him my business since 1977 and continue to do so. The loyalty is a two way street
"Commisars and pin-striped bosses roll the dice.
Any way they fall, guess who gets to pay the price?"

Fenton
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Fenton » May Mon 20, 2013 1:41 pm

I second Niles suggestion.

Max

Post by Max » May Mon 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Dr Barrow at the Marshfield Animal Hospital is the best. He has four other female vets working for him too.
The worst offense that can be committed by a polemic is to stigmatize those who hold a contrary opinion as bad and immoral men. John Stuart Mill, 1806-73

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do."
Benjamin Franklin,

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » May Mon 20, 2013 5:50 pm

niles wrote:Do not go to VCA in Weymouth. Incredibly high prices and recommendations for services that are not needed. I highly recommend Marshfield Vets on Plain St and especially Dr. Barrow. They are kind and considerate to their clients.
As I said in my first post,my daughter had a FREE exam so you can't get any cheaper than that!I told her to watch out for any upsells or not get much time with the vet because of the FREE exam.

Actually just the opposite occured.She said she was not ever upsold on anything.Only requested the two shots.There are many other shots/services they could have pushed for but never did.

She also had a list of questions to ask Dr Perry.(Knowing my daughter it was probably pages long!)He took his time answering every thing she asked him.Not once did he get up and move to the door being it was a FREE exam!He even asked her if she could think of anything more she wanted to discuss!

The next day the cat had a reaction to the shots.She called VCA with the symptoms.She expected a secretary to call her back.She never requested to speak to a vet.Instead it was Dr Perry who called her back.He again spent a considerable amount of time talking to her on the phone with symptoms and what to do.

I am glad the cat is fine now and that he personally took the time to call and talk to her.Again,all this for a FREE exam.I couldn't say enough about him.Very caring with a lot of patience!She wasn't looking for cheap,she was looking for good.She got that and a whole LOT more.

S-BAG
Transient
Transient

Post by S-BAG » May Tue 21, 2013 8:29 am

Dr. Maas South River Vet

Jackster
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Jackster » May Tue 21, 2013 9:12 am

I third Niles' suggestions on both counts.

Holly Hill Gal
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Holly Hill Gal » May Sat 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I go to the Norwell Veterinary Hospital on Rt. 53 pretty much next to Fours. I can't say they are cheap. I don't think any vets are cheap. But they do a really good job. I have been a client there forever.

Jelewis
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Jelewis » May Sun 26, 2013 10:50 am

I used to go to Norwell before they were purchased by a Vet corp. chain. They aren't cheap.

Kingston Animal Hospital is amazing. I had a dog in kidney failure and they provided superior care. Dr. Rudin is amazing there. And their prices were much less then Norwell.

RMH
Transient
Transient

Post by RMH » May Mon 27, 2013 4:50 pm

I've been to Marshfield Animal Hospital by the High School & saw Dr. Duffy for our guinea pig back in December. She was great. When the pig got sick again Dr. Duffy wasn't in (small pet vets aren't always in daily and the other small pet vet was in surgery so unavailable) so I went to see Dr. DeMarco at Kingston on 3A. She was also wonderful. I'd recommend both vets, great experience with both.