It's a Green Thing

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
writermom
Visitor
Visitor

Green Automotive Gone??!!

Post by writermom » Dec Sun 02, 2012 7:51 pm

Anyone know what happened to Green Automotive? They brought moving vans in Thursday night and cleaned out everything except the cars in the lot. The web site says coming to a new location soon. I liked going there for car service, good prices, fast service, nice front desk staff, and nice waiting area...What happened???

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Re: Green Automotive Gone??!!

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Sun 02, 2012 11:15 pm

Here's an email I got from them Friday. Looks like they got bought out by Quirk.
"To all of our valued clients,

As many of you already know, the Marshfield Green Automotive facility has been sold to Quirk Cars and will immediately transfer to their operation. While this was a difficult decision, it was a time sensitive offer to purchase and one of a financial nature that we could not ignore.

The Green Automotive name and our commitment to all that you experienced over the last two years remains intact. We are actively pursuing other locations in the community as well as additional sites in the surrounding areas, and have identified several that we are working aggressively on.

Thank you for your support to date and we look forward forward to serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

The Green Team"

I used to like going there, but recently they said I needed a lot of work done, and suggested I just junk my car which made me suspicious, especially considering they now sell used cars. I took it to another mechanic who did the work for almost half the price, in large part because one thing they said would cost $300 ended up being a much more minor issue and cost $0. That, and a few other instances I'd dismissed earlier, left me wondering whether they'd even opened the car to look at the issue. :P They seemed like nice people for the most part, but maybe since they're a large business the service you get can vary depending on which mechanic you end up with. I'm not sure.

I'd heard mention on the forums earlier that a car dealership might be going in across the street (don't remember whether that turned out to be a joke/rumor or reality), but maybe Quirk bought Green to be their service station?

dtpfv3.0
Resident
Resident

Post by dtpfv3.0 » Dec Mon 03, 2012 12:04 am

Quirk the Jerk eliminating the local competition.
Knowledge is good - Emil Faber

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Mon 03, 2012 5:04 am

Oh, come on...Wouldn't be like this town's never had some strange quirks! 8)
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

Techlacroix
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Techlacroix » Dec Mon 03, 2012 8:37 am

I got that email too, I had loved going there. Free muffins, all in one computers and $12.99 for an oil change and tire rotation? WOW. I am sad now. I thought quirk was going to rename it and keep the staff, but apparently not. Well, I won't do business with Quirk now. Ever.

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by goodguy » Dec Mon 03, 2012 10:22 am

Just speculating, which means the beginning of a rumor.

Perhaps their rumored Jeep dealership is going there instead of in the old Settle's Glass building, who knows. Many hate his dealerships, but Dan is obviously a pretty smart character. He was a pioneer of the concept of owning multiple dealerships. Used to be, you had one, and personally managed it.

coopa
Tourist
Tourist

Post by coopa » Dec Mon 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Can't say I'm going to miss them. The waiting area was exceptional, but the additional work they recommended was unnecessary. I only went one time, as I do not like to pay for anything I don't need.

HokieAl
Citizen
Citizen

Post by HokieAl » Dec Tue 04, 2012 10:05 am

coopa wrote:Can't say I'm going to miss them. The waiting area was exceptional, but the additional work they recommended was unnecessary. I only went one time, as I do not like to pay for anything I don't need.
We stopped going there too. Got told that we needed 4 new ball joints, something over $1K to fix, and that it wouldn't pass inspection. Took it to another mechanic who said nothing was wrong with any of them. And guess what, it passed inspection.

choudahead
Transient
Transient

Post by choudahead » Dec Tue 04, 2012 10:48 am

HokieAl wrote:
coopa wrote:Can't say I'm going to miss them. The waiting area was exceptional, but the additional work they recommended was unnecessary. I only went one time, as I do not like to pay for anything I don't need.
We stopped going there too. Got told that we needed 4 new ball joints, something over $1K to fix, and that it wouldn't pass inspection. Took it to another mechanic who said nothing was wrong with any of them. And guess what, it passed inspection.
ibid

Island Tug
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Island Tug » Dec Tue 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Being on food stamps and collecting welfare My family will really miss them. We used to sneak in the side door and stuff our selves at lunch on the sandwiches and fruit. We'd fill our pockets with fruit, candies, milk and whatever when we left.

Whatever will we do now!!

The rolls royce I bought with food stamps needs an oil change, any suggestions? :X

DTI
Citizen
Citizen

Post by DTI » Dec Tue 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Island Tug wrote:Being on food stamps and collecting welfare My family will really miss them. We used to sneak in the side door and stuff our selves at lunch on the sandwiches and fruit. We'd fill our pockets with fruit, candies, milk and whatever when we left.

Whatever will we do now!!

The rolls royce I bought with food stamps needs an oil change, any suggestions? :X
You did not tell us about the private Jet you bought with food stamps =)) =))
The Republicans are the problem,
Ideologically extreme, scornful of compromise, unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science..

Techlacroix
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Techlacroix » Dec Wed 05, 2012 10:41 am

So, where should people go that is good in Marshfield? Sullivan tire?

S-BAG
Transient
Transient

Post by S-BAG » Dec Thu 06, 2012 8:56 am

I like Matt's by the veteren's park. Nice honest guy.

choudahead
Transient
Transient

Post by choudahead » Dec Thu 06, 2012 11:53 am

bills service and repair

kosmodm
Visitor
Visitor

Post by kosmodm » Dec Thu 06, 2012 1:09 pm

I've been going to Lucchetti's for 7 years and couldn't be happier with them.

Holly Hill Gal
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Holly Hill Gal » Dec Thu 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Luchetti's is great. The prices are reasonable, and I have never had a bad experience there.

mandylou
Visitor
Visitor

Post by mandylou » Dec Thu 06, 2012 8:02 pm

I would not let Lucetti's change my toilet paper! The almost ruined my husband's truck, after 5k they told us we did not change the oil enough. Cost us 2k to get the truck back to normal. They twice charged me for items on my jeep that they did not do. No pride at that place, they just want to fleece you. I have heard of people breaking down after visiting them for a straight inspection and oil change. Not sure what happened there, but they are not the same place as 5 years ago.

Tucson
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Tucson » Dec Fri 07, 2012 12:54 pm

"It ain't about the money!" Of course not, it never is...............(hehehehe)

I wonder what the Maguire Brothers must be thinking?
"Commisars and pin-striped bosses roll the dice.
Any way they fall, guess who gets to pay the price?"

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Fri 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I took our car all the way to Abdon Auto in Quincy, and I think we'll continue to do that until we find someone we're sure we can really trust closer by. We took our car there for years before we moved to Marshfield, and he's probably the only honest mechanic I've ever met.

If you don't mind driving out there, he's right across the street from Wollaston station on the Red line, so I just dropped our car off and took the kids to the Children's Museum for the day (with museum passes from the library). Not bad considering he saved me about $600 compared to what Green Auto told me. Check out the Yelp reviews. I think he's only got 5 star ones, and that says a lot for a car repair place.

Mulligan
Transient
Transient

Post by Mulligan » Dec Fri 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Have been using Lucchetti's for over 30 years - both when Paul (the father) ran the business. and now his son Chris. I strongly recommend them. I did, on the very occasional Saturday use other garages in town on an emergency basis (this was before Lucchetti's began offering Saturday hours). These included Marshfield Tire, Matt's (next to Hubbard's Cupboard) and Sullivan Tire. Was pleased with all of them but I still prefer (and trust) Lucchetti's above all others.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Dec Sat 08, 2012 9:17 am

I highly recommend Paul Kabilian. He is located across the street from Sullivan Tire on Route 139. I have been going to him for years and he has taken good care of my cars and all of my kids' cars. He is honest and trustworthy and very reliable. Paul is also a Marshfield resident. I have never had a problem with any of the work he has done on any of my cars over the past ten years.

kevinm
Tourist
Tourist

It's a Green Thing

Post by kevinm » Dec Sat 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Does anybody here know anybody from the Green Automotive crew? When they bugged out, My son's car was in the lot and they had the keys in the back area (no work had been done, just an estimate). The Quirk folks say that it had been cleared out, no keys there, and the person I talked to said they have no contact info (in fact Quirk bought some of the cars for sale, but I was told they don't have keys for those either).

They missing keys had the key fob to open/lock the doors (the only one my son had). The phone number rings with no answer (if it even is still assigned to Green).

We've retrieved the car but I would really appreciate getting the other keys and key fob back...

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Sat 08, 2012 7:25 pm

We have also been using Lucchetti's for decades, and have had very good luck with them too. Other than very occasional minor glitches, they've generally done a great job.

Not so satisfied with Kabilian's. Used them once...The quality of the work seemed fine. It's just that I left very clear instructions what I wanted done...and they didn't do it all. But they did take it upon themselves to do some things I did not ask for (minor stuff), which annoyed me a bit...
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Re: It's a Green Thing

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Sun 09, 2012 8:08 am

Wow, that stinks. When they sent me the email saying they were closing, the email was from jcarley@greenautomotive.com. Maybe worth a try. According to their website they're planning on opening a new location at some point, so hopefully at least if they open a new place you could get your keys then. It seems kind of weird that they closed up so quickly without any real advanced notice.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Dec Sun 09, 2012 8:40 am

Rather rude, I would say.

There is just no plausible excuse for not ensuring that EVERY car, (and associated piece of customer property), was accounted for, and deal with, before they left.

I mean, come on, how long would that take? Seriously! A few hours? :shock:

I would never do business with them again in a new location, after hearing this story!

Lifetime
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Lifetime » Dec Sun 09, 2012 1:17 pm

The Selectmen are voting on the transfer of the Class II license from Green Automotive to Quirk on Monday Nite. I would call each of the selectmen at home today or go to the Selectmen's meeting Monday nite and request they transfer the license contingent upon the return of your personal property or acceptable agreement with you.

The Selectmen are the enforcement (through the local police) of Class II Licenses. That's why Government License these type of businesses.

kevinm
Tourist
Tourist

Post by kevinm » Dec Sun 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks everyone - good advice (and thanks for the e-mail address mamafrommass!). I can't believe it myself that a business like that can just up and vanish so quickly - but I probably should... we bought my wife's car from Autolines, and they ordered a few missing parts - when I went to get those they were gone too :shock:

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Tue 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Just went on Yelp to look through their reviews and was debating whether I should write one myself considering my bad experience there recently in case they open again.

I saw this written there from Jimbo, one of the people who greeted you at the front desk, explained what was going on with the car, etc. - "hello this is Jimbo I just want everyone to know closing was a toatle shock to me and everyone who worked here. We were told on Thursday this was our last day and thank you for our services.I am in toatle shock 3 weeks before christmas and we all lost our jobs. Not cool !!!!!"

and from a customer - "CLOSED?? I had a scheduled appointment on Wed. 11/28 for this morning 11/30 at 7:30. When I showed up the doors were locked and shelves bare.

I loved the place - I've been there probably a dozen times since they opened.

What happened in 48 hours????"

What a bad way to do business. It still all seems very weird to me, though. I can't imagine they weren't considering making a deal with Quirk for weeks before. Why wouldn't you tell your customers, or at the very least your employees? I can't think of a reason, but it all just seems very odd.

Roadking
Resident
Resident

Post by Roadking » Dec Tue 11, 2012 9:31 pm

I wouldn't be suprised to find there was more to the story...

Bill

agbtools
Visitor
Visitor

Post by agbtools » Dec Wed 12, 2012 7:56 am

I worked at green automotive and them closing was such a secret they did not tell any of the employees the came in on the 29 of November and told us we all had 4 hours to get out and move all the tool boxes and don't worry about a job there's alot out there (not true at all) they walked away with a lot of money and left all of us high and dry 3 weeks before Christmas. I have 3 kids and a mortgage and one other guy was getting married on the Saturday of the week we were let go and another guys wife is 8 months pregnant we got no sevens package just told we can apply for unemployment which takes 4 weeks to get merry Christmas to the middle class working guy

choudahead
Transient
Transient

Post by choudahead » Dec Wed 12, 2012 8:36 am

I heard on watd that they took over the lease at green when they ran into problems across the street at settles glass. There are hazardous waste conditions at settles that have to be remidiated prior to begining construction. Jeep /dodge was going to pull their franchise opportunity if they did not open on time. from what I heard from
Quirk on the radio that they are open now at the green auto site? I find it hard to believe. I guess they are going to continue working on the settles location in the mean time.

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Wed 12, 2012 8:37 am

Wow, so sorry to hear that! The way Green ended things seems just awful, both for employees and customers. We were discussing it on another thread on this board, "It's a Green Thing." It all seems very fishy to me.

Someone mentioned that the Selectmen were voting on transferring the licenses Monday night, so I'm not sure how much can be done now if it was indeed transferred, but I might suggest trying to even get the papers to write an article on it because I'd hate them to easily start up somewhere else like it seems they're planning to do, especially when there was a Ledger article last year on how they helped an unemployed guy by giving him a job and fixing his car.

choudahead
Transient
Transient

Post by choudahead » Dec Wed 12, 2012 8:39 am

Moderator can you combine the two green Automotive threads?

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Wed 12, 2012 11:24 am

Looks like there's a hearing scheduled for December 17th...might be able to find out some info about who to contact about the missing keys there?

http://www.wickedlocal.com/marshfield/n ... z2Er5gXHFk

agbtools
Visitor
Visitor

Post by agbtools » Dec Wed 12, 2012 4:04 pm

writermom wrote:Anyone know what happened to Green Automotive? They brought moving vans in Thursday night and cleaned out everything except the cars in the lot. The web site says coming to a new location soon. I liked going there for car service, good prices, fast service, nice front desk staff, and nice waiting area...What happened???
This Jimbo Green did not stand for green earth is stood for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

agbtools
Visitor
Visitor

Post by agbtools » Dec Wed 12, 2012 4:05 pm

mamafrommass wrote:Looks like there's a hearing scheduled for December 17th...might be able to find out some info about who to contact about the missing keys there?

http://www.wickedlocal.com/marshfield/n ... z2Er5gXHFk
If I to Guess your keys went in the trash like all other keys that were left behind in the 4 hours we were told to leave

agbtools
Visitor
Visitor

Post by agbtools » Dec Wed 12, 2012 4:08 pm

choudahead wrote:I heard on watd that they took over the lease at green when they ran into problems across the street at settles glass. There are hazardous waste conditions at settles that have to be remidiated prior to begining construction. Jeep /dodge was going to pull their franchise opportunity if they did not open on time. from what I heard from
Quirk on the radio that they are open now at the green auto site? I find it hard to believe. I guess they are going to continue working on the settles location in the mean time.
Its kind of funny how town selectman new all this and not one employee at green was told just pack your stuff and leave Quirk will be here tonight at 12:01 am OOOO yeah dont worry about work there is a lot of jobs out there we were told 3 weeks before christmas and people had morgages due and 1 guy had a 8 month pregnant wife way to go Green $$$$$$$$$$$$

agbtools
Visitor
Visitor

Post by agbtools » Dec Wed 12, 2012 4:09 pm

kevinm wrote:Thanks everyone - good advice (and thanks for the e-mail address mamafrommass!). I can't believe it myself that a business like that can just up and vanish so quickly - but I probably should... we bought my wife's car from Autolines, and they ordered a few missing parts - when I went to get those they were gone too :shock:
Green didn t stand for green earth it stood for greener $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mamafrommass
Tourist
Tourist

Post by mamafrommass » Dec Wed 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear what they did. The whole thing does sound really awful, and just weird. I don't know what they could have to hide, but it seems like they didn't want people to know what was going on for some reason.

I don't know how good the Ledger is at picking up stories like that, but I might try to suggest they do a story on it so that people know in case Green does open a new spot sometime in the future. What you and others are saying really don't stand up to the story run on Green last year by the Ledger - http://www.patriotledger.com/features/x ... -him-a-job .

joedio79
Visitor
Visitor

Post by joedio79 » Dec Wed 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I was very sorry with what happened as well. I was the general manager, and was absolutely in love with my job, and what we did. I grew up about a mile away from Green in Pembroke. My mother was on the advisory committee, my father ran Pembroke Youth Hockey, so working for Green was like coming home to me. I had run large dealerships from Toyota, and Nissan but I wasnt sure about dealership politics and the way that certain manufacturers demand things get done. Most dealers are honest people, but employ the wrong people who do the wrong things. I came in about 8 months ago, and tried to make sure we treated people right and show the customer what was wrong when there were issues with the vehicles. Just like any type of estimates you get, you would get different opinions from people with different skill sets, etc. My father was a mechanic for 30 years but I can tell you first hand that he doesnt know alot of the newer technology or have the proper tools like dial indicators to check for ball joint play. But at green we did, and we tried to take care of people. We ushered out the door quickly as Jimbo had stated and even though many were offered to apply with Quirk no one to my knowledge has gotten a call back. I had met and worked with Mr. Quirk, and as I stated earlier most dealer owners are stand up and honest, and I 100% believe that Mr.Quirk is. I also know the new manager of the Jeep facility and he is a good person who lives locally. That being said it didnt lessen the sting. I thought that I had found the place I could retire finally, and having an 8 month pregnant wife right now and no employment is something I wasnt prepared for. Regardless of what some people may believe we all tried to do right by the customer. I can tell you i was paid salary as were almost all employees including both service advisors and most techs (some were just hourly) so there was no incentive to lie, or sell work that wasnt needed. I enjoyed and loved serving Marshfield and I have been making attempts to lease or purchase a facility to continue servicing the customers I loved on my own terms. I am unsure if this will happen as Im not financially well off, my wife is a stay at home mom with one son and one on the way and we struggle due to that fact. If i can get the necessary funds together I will try to remploy as much of the team as I can and do this on a much small scale (will do my best with the waiting room). I wish everyone the best, and happy holidays. This will be my only post on the subject as I dont want to focus on the past and try to move forward with the future.