The Blank Check

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
clover
Resident
Resident

Re: The Blank Check

Post by clover » Nov Wed 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Not trying to prove the danger of turf fields, but found that Concord Carlisle has had a lead problem. Looks like that's just one more thing to consider regarding having or maintaining a synthetic turf field.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/concord/news ... z1cUr1Zmlc

http://www.wickedlocal.com/concord/news ... z1cUr1Zmlc

Also, it's just the opinion of three kids, but mine don't like playing on artificial turf. The heat, burns and scrapes, and cleats filled with little pieces of rubber are the biggest complaints. Indoors, the smell given off by the rubber makes it hard to breath after some length of time, so it makes me wonder if playing on that surface too often, even outdoors, is good for anyone's health?

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Wed 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Enough with the turf field scaremongering. I have played and coached on more than a few -- both indoors and out -- and liked them all, albeit some better than others. There's nothing like the smell of real grass, but when it comes to enduring the wear and tear of year-round use, being virtually maintenance-free, and being playable within a reasonable period during or following a storm, you simply cannot beat a well-constructed turf field.
[color=#FF0000]The Law Offices of John S. Keating: A General Practice Law Firm Offering Personal Attention and Timely, AFFORDABLE Legal Services to South Shore Residents & Businesses: 617-285-8113. [url]http://www.johnkeatinglaw.com[/url]; chip@johnkeatinglaw.com.[/color]

ajax77
Visitor
Visitor

Post by ajax77 » Nov Wed 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Interesting that when there are valid, scientific facts that are contrary to Marshead's POV it automatically becomes "scaremongering". But yet he has no problem citing facts that tilt the slant towards him for new construction with no need to even consider other options. So when it works in his favor it's gospel but when he is proven wrong it's scaremongering.
Just a little interesting - not trying to start a fight.

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Nov Wed 02, 2011 4:02 pm

[quote="ajax77"]Interesting that when there are valid, scientific facts that are contrary to Marshead's POV it automatically becomes "scaremongering". But yet he has no problem citing facts that tilt the slant towards him for new construction with no need to even consider other options. So when it works in his favor it's gospel but when he is proven wrong it's scaremongering.

Yep, that has been his modus operandi all along.

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Nov Wed 02, 2011 4:18 pm

love how we have to end this "scaremongering" comment by marshead.seems like your side does plenty of it!scare everyone the building is falling down and tell them their kids won't be able to get into college now.
if that isn't "scaremongering" i don't know what is???

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Wed 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Interesting that when there are valid, scientific facts that are contrary to Marshead's POV it automatically becomes "scaremongering". But yet he has no problem citing facts that tilt the slant towards him for new construction with no need to even consider other options. So when it works in his favor it's gospel but when he is proven wrong it's scaremongering.
Just a little interesting - not trying to start a fight.
Seriously? People who work for the schools or who have kids in the schools (or both) are fine with turf fields, and someone like myself who has played and coached on them and who has kids who would play on them at a new MHS has no concerns about their safety (I think that they are actually much safer than the fields we have now), but people who are mostly parents of kids in their 20s or older, and who have shown little interest in high school sports, are now, all of a sudden, guardians of other people's kids' knees and ankles? It's really a bit much. A more honest approach would be to say: "My kids have graduated already, I got mine, and I don't care enough about doing right by today's youngsters to help pay for a badly-needed new high school".

As for our recent downgrade by NEASC, that is REAL. And if you think it matters not, I suggest you talk with any local realtor.
[color=#FF0000]The Law Offices of John S. Keating: A General Practice Law Firm Offering Personal Attention and Timely, AFFORDABLE Legal Services to South Shore Residents & Businesses: 617-285-8113. [url]http://www.johnkeatinglaw.com[/url]; chip@johnkeatinglaw.com.[/color]

ajax77
Visitor
Visitor

Post by ajax77 » Nov Wed 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Again with the presumptions - not once did I mention torn up knees or injuries. I was suggesting that your continual stance that turf fields are far less expensive to maintain has been shot down with facts - there have been studies done and substantiated proof that you actually might be wrong. So your reaction is to inject your personal opinion based on you coaching and playing youth soccer.
Maybe you should call the Kraft family and ask them why they tore up the synthetic turf and went back to grass - I'd trust their opinion and reasoning before a rec league coach. And I have three kids who will be in the high school in the coming years so I absolutely have a dog in this fight. As for property values - that's such an arbitrary floating number that in this economy is tied more into market correction than status of the high school. The high school's condition is symbolic of the main issue - complete and utter failure of our leaders to react properly - both at the elected level and administrative level.

grammie
Visitor
Visitor

Post by grammie » Nov Wed 02, 2011 8:35 pm

sorry - but 4 now I will encourage everyone that I speak with - to vote no for a new school - I am not against a new school in the future - but at this time I, like alot of my neighbors and friends, am just getting by in this town - a school will have to wait!

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Wed 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Ajax --

I never said you raised the subject of sports injuries. But others did. And I was not sharing my personal "opinion". I was sharing my personal observations, based on years of experience with turf fields as both a player and a coach.

BTW, check out this section of the Master Plan Study regarding the many advantages of turf fields, including the suggestion that the town consider building TWO of them:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... JkMzNlOGMx

(see page 8, paragraphs 2 and 3)

And of course the economy has tanked housing values, pretty much everywhere. But having our high school downgraded from "warning" to "probation" status is like throwing an anvil to a drowning man. Ask ANY realtor -- "How are the schools?" is a close second to questions about crime and public safety when dealing with prospective buyers.

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Nov Wed 02, 2011 9:02 pm

"My kids have graduated already, I got mine, and I don't care enough about doing right by today's youngsters to help pay for a badly-needed new high school"

seriously is you need some help!now your a mind reader?and an insulting one!that has already been pointed out to you by various posters,for good reason.

forcing people out of their homes with an unnecessary new high school is doing right??the same people who "don't care enough" are the ones who built the high school that stands there today!

But building 2 2+million dollar turf stadiums,with indoor suspension tracks over gyms is badly needed?heck why not throw in a ice rink,a swimming pool so we can host some of those meets??How bout a golf course?our poor kids have to play home games in a different town!the crime of it!!wah!wah!

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Nov Wed 02, 2011 9:08 pm

grammie wrote:sorry - but 4 now I will encourage everyone that I speak with - to vote no for a new school - I am not against a new school in the future - but at this time I, like alot of my neighbors and friends, am just getting by in this town - a school will have to wait!
i am doing the same thing grammie,don't be sorry!i have heard more and more people not voting for it as well.someone started a conversation up on the subject right in a patient waiting area.everyone was against building new and for fixing.same as you would do in your own home.
keep speaking up and encouraging them to go vote!

ajax77
Visitor
Visitor

Post by ajax77 » Nov Wed 02, 2011 10:08 pm

So it's gone from a fact that turf fields are cheaper to maintain to an observation that they're just better in your - and school employees - opinion? But since that was debunked, what the hell, you and others just think it's better (based on observation, of course) and nicer than grass regardless of cost and unknown maintenance costs so we should do it.
I keep using the field but you can take that one example and use it for just about anything with this project. Throw something out there and hope people will just believe it. Others then do some research to counter and they're branded as naysayers - anti-kid - and hell bent on destroying property values in town. Or even worse, well maybe you're right guys but screw it - from pro-new advocates' observations let's just spend and worry about being right afterwards.
From my observation more AP classes and a principal who can use proper grammar along with more dedicated resources to curriculum to make MHS a top notch institution of learning are where we should be addressing. If we don't get that then I'll use the old adage - you can put lipstick on a pig, but at the end of the day it's still just a pig.

coopa
Tourist
Tourist

Post by coopa » Nov Wed 02, 2011 10:58 pm

Gee, why didn't any of us in the local athletic community think of any of this stuff before? If only we had tried these novel and non-intuitive techniques, perhaps we wouldn't have had the crappiest, most dangerous playing fields on the entire South Shore for the last decade. Maybe the MHS boys and girls soccer teams could have played their "home" playoff games at MHS instead of Silver Lake last fall, and maybe my U-14 girls soccer team wouldn't have had to play its "home" games in Duxbury last spring. Thanks

MARSHEAD:
Here you go again! Spreading more misinformation with your infamous exaggerations! These fields certainly are NOT "the crappiest, most dangerous playing fields on the entire South Shore for the last decade" Besides, if the town would hire a functional staff to maintain these fields by following and enforcing the very basic techniques, the fields would be in much better shape. Personally, I have never noticed any grass seed spread on any soccer fields that my kids have played on this Fall. What becomes of the good money that I pay for my kids to play?

I did not realize that so many of Marshfield's soccer teams have had to play both playoff games and "home" games in either Duxbury or Pembroke for the "last decade" When I get a few minutes, I plan to search the web to see if I can find out if this is accurate or not. Based upon several of you prior postings, I suspect you're stretching the truth once again!

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Wed 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Zech --

I note that you didn't deny that you have no school-age kids. Tell me I was wrong, and I will take your word for it and apologize.

Ajax --

The ONLY point you have made which carries any water is the cost of a natural grass field as compared to that of a synthetic turf field. Having done some additional research, I will concede that the overall costs associated with a synthetic field are modestly higher. HOWEVER, in all the articles I have seen -- and as noted in the 2008 Master Plan Study (which you apparently still have not read) -- a synthetic turf field is capable of hosting a considerably greater number of events than a natural grass field. Apparently, you can schedule as many events, in a given week, month or year, on 2 synthetic fields as you could on 3 or perhaps 4 natural grass fields. That not only tips the balance back towards synthetic fields as compared to grass fields from a cost perspective -- there is also the undisputable fact that there is a chronic and acute shortage of playing fields in this town. (Witness Marshfield Youth Soccer's lengthy efforts to attempt to build two new soccer fields in town, which still have not met with success, as well as multiple high school and youth sports events which have had to be moved to other towns in recent years due to the excessive wear and tear on our existing fields, rendering them unplayable.) If school officials and the School Building Committee have a legitimate and longstanding concern about having enough playing fields to support all of the users and uses of those fields -- which they do -- is it remotely reasonable for people to be castigating them as wanton free-spenders? I know that fits the naysayers' chosen narrative, but if their charge is to make sure that we have enough usable fields for all of the school-based and community uses of them, then why heck shouldn't they propose fields which maximize the productivity of our limited space?

Zech
Transient
Transient

Post by Zech » Nov Wed 02, 2011 11:29 pm

marshead why don't you tell us something like where your $400K house that you own is located that you are paying 100% of the taxs on,ok?

you should apologize about many things but i won't hold my breath!

ajax77
Visitor
Visitor

Post by ajax77 » Nov Wed 02, 2011 11:50 pm

You miss the entire point of the post. As soon as someone challenges you they are attacked and branded. The point is that there are so many unknowns with this project and we are trying to shoehorn this in and trust it to a body of people who are proven useless, apathetic, unresponsive, and out of touch. Can you tell us why these very people, including Scott Borstel who you speak so glowingly of, did nothing all these years? What makes us trust things are different. If we can poke a hole in something as innocuous as a damn field what else are we going to find as we start to peel back the onion. I am not looking for a fight, I swear, but you take it down that road every time.
I have a hard time believing a bright, Ivy League educted professional will blindly follow this group and trust them with $100,000,000 plus of our money and to protect that investment. And all of a sudden this project is going to solve the town's needs for community fields? I'll invest in education 7 days a week - but c'mon the track record of maintenance of buildings and fields is lower than deplorable here.
Why can't we pump the brakes, catch our breath and take a long hard look at what we're doing. And please stop referring to 2008 - times have changed in the nearly 4 years that have passed. Why not go back and take another comprehensive look at this to ensure we're doin this right? Isn't that prudent?

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Wed 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Here you go again! Spreading more misinformation with your infamous exaggerations! These fields certainly are NOT "the crappiest, most dangerous playing fields on the entire South Shore for the last decade"
And on what do you base that contention, exactly? I have three kids who all play multiple sports, who are older than yours. I have coached all three of them in soccer for over a decade, and have also been an assistant softball coach. There is not a town between Quincy and Plymouth that I have not coached games in -- multiple times each, and multiple fields each. And I know that my fellow soccer coaches, who have a vastly greater experience in such matters than you apparently do, feel exactly as I do. Our fields are dangerous AND an embarrassment.
Besides, if the town would hire a functional staff to maintain these fields by following and enforcing the very basic techniques, the fields would be in much better shape.

That's baloney. Do you work for Scotts? Do you have the slightest idea what maintenance practices are followed now? What makes you an expert? (BTW -- were you aware that hiring additional DPW staff would cost, you know, money?) More importantly, there is NOTHING that additional DPW staff could do to remedy the situation, because the fields never get any rest! There are 4 or 5 games one after the other on many fields on any given Saturday, and constant school and youth group practices all week long. I have personally had to share fields with other teams -- with 30+ kids on a single field, like bees in a hive -- for more practices than I can count. There are simply too many players, and not enough fields. Ask ANYONE who is involved in youth sports in this town. Anyone at all.
I did not realize that so many of Marshfield's soccer teams have had to play both playoff games and "home" games in either Duxbury or Pembroke for the "last decade"
That's not what I said (as you know). I said our fields have sucked for a decade (worse than any other town's fields -- by far), and that last year's home playoff games -- for both the boys AND girls soccer teams -- had to be moved last year to Silver Lake (which we had to rent) due to the unplayable condition of our fields. I also said that my U-14 girls team had to play its home games in Duxbury last spring. Ask anyone involved with Marshfield Youth Soccer whether that is true, and they will confirm it -- several other teams were in the same boat.

I was AT the girls' playoff game at Silver Lake last fall. I know why it was moved because I have fellow soccer coaches with daughters on the team, and I also spoke to Athletic Director Lou Silva.
When I get a few minutes, I plan to search the web to see if I can find out if this is accurate or not.
I'll save you some time. Here are Marshfield Mariner articles on both games, noting that they were played at Silver Lake. As the higher seeds playing in first-round playoff games, MIAA rules provide that we were the home team for both games. But we had to play them at Silver Lake (for a fee) instead, because our own fields were unplayable.
GateHouse News Service
Posted Nov 08, 2010 @ 04:17 PM

Marshfield The No. 14 Marshfield High School boys varsity soccer team suffered a bruising end to its season, falling, 2-0, Saturday to No. 19 Dighton-Rehoboth (9-8-2) in the Division 1 South Sectional tournament at Silver Lake High School. The Rams (10-7-2) simply could not get a shot past D-Rs outstanding keeper despite several attempts on goal. Senior Fletcher Souba was pivotal in midfield, constantly redirecting the action toward the D-R end, and junior forward Jeremy Heyner also put in a solid effort. Senior keeper Cory Whidden made several saves, but D-R scored 17 minutes into the first half and quickly followed with another goal. The second half remained scoreless.
By Rick Seto
GateHouse News Service
Posted Nov 07, 2010 @ 09:02 PM
Last update Nov 08, 2010 @ 04:15 PM

Marshfield No loss is easy to accept, but the manner in which the Marshfield High School girls soccer season ended was especially stunning.

The Rams thoroughly dominated Newton South in their Division 1 preliminary-round game at Silver Lakes Sirrico Field on Saturday night, but lost 1-0. It would not be an exaggeration to say 80 percent of the game was played in the Lions half of the field, but Marshfield had no answer for Hannah Nussbaums goal in the 14th minute.

The whole Newton South coaching staff and their head coach (Doug McCarthy) after the game shook my hand and said, `Sometimes the better team doesnt win,  Marshfield coach Dominic Centorino said. But youve got to score goals to win games.

Leading scorer Brooke Sweeney pounded a shot off the crossbar with 14 minutes left. Nine minutes earlier, Cammie Brown unleashed a shot to the upper right corner that Newton Souths tall, rangy goalkeeper, Jules Costa, just parried away for a corner.

The shots on goal were in favor of Marshfield, 5-3, but the team produced a dozen other opportunities or shots just wide of the goal.

I really felt they deserved that game, Centorino said. Right up until the final whistle, I was confident that we were going to put at least one in.

Marshfields season ends with a 10-5-4 record. Playing their final games were Brown, Meg Landry and the other senior captain, Shannon Cantwell, as well as Kayla Fletcher.

The Class of 2013 will still dominate the roster next fall, as eight members will make up the core of next years team along with seven juniors from this year.

Sweeney, the teams playmaking center midfielder, will be a junior, along with Scorpions club teammate Jill Clapp, whose absence due to a concussion was felt Saturday. Clapp possessed a natural finishers touch that was sorely missing against Newton South.

Other juniors-to-be include Lauren Loschiavo and Jessie Breda at outside midfield, as well as Erin Shea, who played there as well as the holding midfielder. Ali Walter played in that holding role as well as in central defense, while Michaela Cantwell played in the back. Kristen Martina returns in goal and was praised by Centorino for her forays off her goal line that prevented Newton South from increasing their margin.

Central defender Morgan Cowie-Haskell, a captain already this season, will lead the seniors-to-be. Also in the back line should be Iely Barbati, whose season was cut short by ACL surgery, and Brenna Cole. Katrina Eder played up front with Morgan Edward, while Courtney Ternullo played outside midfield. Itll be interesting to see whether Jacqui Grant continues to split time in goal and in the field.

As for the sophomores-to-be, Jamie Dekarski offers a lot of skill in the back and might move further up the field. Laura Cowie-Haskell is another towering presence in the middle of the defense.

For Centorino, his first varsity season being in charge was a success, given the teams Atlantic Coast League championship and tournament berth.

I told the girls I couldnt be more proud of them, he said. Youve got to walk out of here with your head held high. I wasnt disappointed in their play or their attitude at all.
Last edited by Marshead on Nov Thu 03, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Thu 03, 2011 12:42 am

You miss the entire point of the post.

No, I didn't. I pointed out that there is a perfectly valid and reasonable rationale for going with turf fields rather than grass fields, which you and others have branded as some wild and profligate flight of fancy on the part of school officials and School Building Committee members.
The point is that there are so many unknowns with this project and we are trying to shoehorn this in and trust it to a body of people who are proven useless, apathetic, unresponsive, and out of touch. Can you tell us why these very people, including Scott Borstel who you speak so glowingly of, did nothing all these years?
First, there are very few unknowns remaining, actually. You of all people should know that if you've really been to a recent School Building Committee meeting, as you claim. Second, the goal and modus operandi of most naysayers (with the possible exception of yourself, since you are new here and I do not know you) is similar to the goal of a criminal defense attorney: It is not to establish the truth, but merely to create doubt. Most of the company you are keeping are chronic critics, year in and year out, of just about any measure to improve the town's infrastructure or public services. If there is a building or service that they do not use or do not expect to use, they will reflexively oppose it. Third, I'll give you two good reasons why I trust the people whom you do not even know and speak so disparagingly of: (1) I have known many of them personally for years, have worked with them in the past on various matters relating to town government, and know them to be remarkably bright and dedicated people -- most of them volunteers; and (2) I have read every page of the 2008 Master Plan study, the letters from NEASC, and the School Building Committee's presentation. I have seen Dr. Borstel give his Powerpoint Presentation on this subject -- twice -- and heard him respond to questions on it. I also know what happened to Plymouth when they rejected and then ultimately approved building a Model School to replace the old Plymouth North High School, costing themselves close to $10 million in the process.

The bottom line is, where you see a bunch of incompetents trying to screw the town, I see residents, taxpayers and parents who are dedicated and exceptionally competent public servants on the receiving end of patently unfair and ill-informed barbs.
What makes us trust things are different. If we can poke a hole in something as innocuous as a damn field

You didn't. You are quibbling over a modest difference in cost and completely ignoring the chronic shortage of playing fields, which synthetic turf fields will help remedy, and which grass fields cannot.
I have a hard time believing a bright, Ivy League educted professional will blindly follow this group and trust them with $100,000,000 plus of our money and to protect that investment.

First, it's +/- $52 million of the town's money, not $100 million. And if we don't take the +/- $49 million the state is offering us -- money which has already been raised through the state sales tax -- it WILL go to one of the other communities clamoring to get into the Model School Program. As for the "blindly follow" part, see above.
And all of a sudden this project is going to solve the town's needs for community fields? I'll invest in education 7 days a week - but c'mon the track record of maintenance of buildings and fields is lower than deplorable here.
First, I didn't say that it would solve all of our needs for playing fields (about which I have also attended several public meetings, relating to the Marshfield Youth Soccer fields proposal). I said that given our acute shortage of playing fields, and given the considerably greater intensity of use that a synthetic field can support, there is a perfectly valid reason for building synthetic fields rather than grass fields which has NOTHING to do with "egos run amok" and some of the other field-related attacks posted in this thread.

Second, you need to READ THE 2008 MASTER PLAN STUDY. If you did -- its findings on the physical condition of the school are just as valid today as they were in 2008, and is obsolete only in terms of giving renovations a slight edge from a cost standpoint -- you would know that it makes SEVERAL mentions of the fact that the school HAS been well-maintainted. The issue -- as pointed out explicitly and unequivocally in the Master Plan Study -- is the simple fact that most of its major systems are DECADES beyond their designed lifespans, and will cost TENS OF MILLIONS of dollars to replace. (The school is also overcrowded and has several problems with its layout and footprint that cannot be remedied by renovations, but that is another issue.)

demorats
Transient
Transient

Post by demorats » Nov Thu 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Note to self; Mushmind is all knowing and regardless of facts to the contrary he is always correct !
I will wake every morning and repeat this
A little help, how does that saying go ; better to let them think you are a moron then open your mouth and confirm it or something along those lines.
I must also live by that.
Shame on all for presenting facts to refute Mush Mush, He is always correct even when he is incorrect ! =))
I thought all turf fields were better than natural grass ? Or is it all turf fields are better than natural grass unless they smell like fresh cut grass ?....or something like that....I guess ?
I opened my mouth and confirmed I am a moron again.....or did Mush Mush shut his mouth and......never mind....I am confused.... =))

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Thu 03, 2011 8:11 pm

I am confused
Indeed.

demorats
Transient
Transient

Post by demorats » Nov Thu 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Mush Mush, I sugest you read between the lines ! If you are capable of seeing the forest between the trees..
While I have your limited attention is it your contention that regardless of the fact that more injuries to athletes are attributed to artificial surfaced playing fields they are better because more games can be played on them as opposed to a natural grass field ? If you follow that line of thinking then wouldn't it be true that the more games played on that surface would produce even more injuries to the kids ? Are home games more important than the health of the athletes ?
How much more square footage in the planned new high school is dedicated to math, science, and technology ?
Can you compare the current square footage to the proposed plan as I am sure that we would not build a new school without increasing the space alloted to such important subjects.
I do know the sports facilities are to be expanded in the new plan but what about science and technology ?
Is it true that the majority of added space will be for an auditorium ?
I surely am no brain surgeon like yourself but are we building an athletic facility with a school as an afterthought or are we to build a school for children to be prepared for the challenges they will be facing in a global competative enviroment with athletics as an important suplement to the childrens education ?
Seems to me if the latter were the case then the square footage of the educational facilities would be greatly increased before the sports facilities were greatly expanded.
This new school looks like we are getting our children ready for professional sports and American idle and X factor auditions.
Why else would we expand athletic facilities and build an auditorium before classrooms ?
The hell with it the proponents of a new high school are correct about property values rising along with their egos so that is why I want a new facility, The education aspect of spending 100+ million is far less important. Think of the entertainment in the new auditorium and the football team scoring glorious touchdownns while wearing burlap sacks as uniforms on the artificial turf that hopefully will be scented to smell like fresh cut grass !
Why don't we build the new school and give all the parents vouchers to go to private or charter schools for the education part of it and then we can bus them back to score touchdowns and sing Justin Beiber songs !

purpledaisy810
Tourist
Tourist

Post by purpledaisy810 » Nov Fri 04, 2011 7:19 am

They are absolutely not building an athletic facility. At countless town meetings, the complaint has been a lack of playing fields for a variety of sports. When this project arose, the SBC met with the recreation department and asked what fields were needed. The fields decision were based on a variety of selectman and advisory board meetings where residents have brought up their concerns about a lack of fields. Now the SBC is hearing those concerns, and that's a problem? The classroom space is determined by the regulations set forth by the MSBA. Those regulations are based on state Department of Education recommendations. The School Building Committee isn't working in a bubble making their own decisions. They have to meet the regulations placed forth by the state.

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Fri 04, 2011 10:11 am

Excellent points, PurpleDaisy. Certain opponents of this project will throw whatever mud they can get their hands on (or dream up), and hope that some of it sticks. Hopefully, there are enough people out there who are not so cynical and distrusting, and who are willing to give the SBC the benefit of the doubt. Obviously, they have spent many hundreds of hours vetting this proposal, and as you point out, they are NOT doing so in some sort of vacuum, or randomly.

demorats
Transient
Transient

Post by demorats » Nov Fri 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Regardless of who determined what Marshfield needs, is it more important to have playing fields or classrooms ? I don't care if the Pope and Bin Ladin designed the High school the plan is not geared to improving the education facilities more than sports and entertainment.
Seems to me the opponents of the plan are not against improving the h.s., they are against this plan due to its lack of emphasis on education(i.e. Science,mathematics and technology)
I would like to know which points by those against this plan are false or as you say mud slinging.
Due to folks not agreeing with you and your property value zealots and egomaniacs there concerns and thoughts are lies ?
Typical Mush Mush,your way is always the right way and anyone with a differing opinion is obviously misinformed or outright lying. Mud slingers.
The only one on this forum that has lied or fearmongered is you.
Renovation is not going to be reimbursed by the State
The ballot question will have a solid price tag.
Your true character comes through every time a opponent makes a valid point or raises a legitimate concern and is followed by a response loaded with half truths and "fearmongering" on your behalf.
How much square footage (above what is present) will be added to the new H.S. ?
How much of that is dedicated to education instead of American Idol hopefulls or sports ?
Regardless of who came up with the plan and who determines what is needed some folks think they are wrong,They think what is needed is a facility geared more toward educating our children.
Where is the state of the art science lab and technology center ?
I have seen the state of the art sports facilities,which are great if they are not the most important part of the plan and did not take a substantial chunk of the budget.
How come taxpayers that are against this plan are labeled as not caring for the children,accused of being vandals and thieves with absolutely no evidence ?
Their valid concerns are dismissed as lies, mudslinging, and ignorance.
The only folks slinging mud and fearmongering are the proponents of this severely flawed and misguided plan.
Why should we have expected anything other than the standard decietful and allegation ridden dribble that comes from the same people in town issue after issue?
Thats your M.O. Thats how you roll ! No mirrors in your house ?

purpledaisy810
Tourist
Tourist

Post by purpledaisy810 » Nov Fri 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Demorats, why do you think there is no emphasis on academics? Forgive me if you've already said why you feel this way, but I'm fairly new here. There is absolutely a state of the art media center being put in. The SBC has met with the people at Ventress and are using their expertise to determine what makes the most sense for the school and have even discussed the possibility of opening the library to the public during non-school hours. The science labs have been a key priority of the SBC. Did something you hear make you think otherwise? Will you be able to attend the public forum next week on Nov. 9th to ask your questions? The model chosen by the SBC has been used by several communities because it has been proven to work quite well and be energy efficient. We currently pay $1.70 per sq. ft. for utilities and the model being used operates its utilities at a rate of $1.00-1.25 per sq. ft. I learned this at the SBC meeting yesterday. I really found the meeting to be quite informative. It was open to questions at the end. Please consider attending if you can. It's at the high school upper library.

gatekeeper
Tourist
Tourist

Post by gatekeeper » Nov Fri 04, 2011 10:39 pm

I thought they were building fields behind Roach brothers? That should take some of the stress off the higschool fields, which actually look much better than I have seen in the past 15 years. Also the town could have had fields donated by PA and decided to deny them.

I'm a soccer player and my vote is grass over turf 100% of the time. In college my home field was turf, so I have had plenty of experience with it.

Do any other local highschools actually play on turf fields?

demorats
Transient
Transient

Post by demorats » Nov Sun 06, 2011 10:04 pm

According to the distinguished BROWN graduate artificial turf fields are better if they are scented to smell like freshly mowed grass =))
If the children smell the scented artificial turf and in their mind think it is natural grass that they are playing on then there will be less injuries =))
I love the smell of scented artificial turf in the morning when we are having a home game it......smells like......... VICTORY ! ..... =)) ..... =))

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Mon 07, 2011 11:46 am

Do any other local highschools actually play on turf fields?
Scituate and Cohasset High both have turf fields, which are used for both football and soccer. (They have different colored lines for each painted on the same field.)

In a town such as Marshfield, where there is constant demand for a limited number of playing fields and those playing fields are constantly worn out -- especially considering the fact that the fields are never allowed to lie idle, so they can recover -- turf simply makes more sense. You can schedule more events each week or each month on a turf field than you can on a grass field. When playing fields are at such a premium, that is an important consideration.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Nov Mon 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Don't forget Duxbury, Hanover, Pembroke and Silver Lake also have turf fields that are used for more than football - soccer and field hockey as examples of fall sports.

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Tue 08, 2011 6:56 am

Thanks, Niles. People can argue about the relative merits of grass vs. turf, but the Naysayers (e.g., Demorants) can no longer argue with a straight face that turf fields are some sort of unusual or bizarre extravagance. There is obviously a compelling rationale for them or they would not be the field of choice for so many school systems all around us.

demorats
Transient
Transient

Post by demorats » Nov Wed 09, 2011 10:09 pm

Again misinformation from mushy, My rant was that injuries are more prevalent on artificial surfaces and that should be the primary concern of the designers of the new sports facility with a school attached to it. =))

Carson
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Carson » Nov Wed 09, 2011 11:44 pm

demorats wrote:According to the distinguished BROWN graduate artificial turf fields are better if they are scented to smell like freshly mowed grass =))
If the children smell the scented artificial turf and in their mind think it is natural grass that they are playing on then there will be less injuries =))
I love the smell of scented artificial turf in the morning when we are having a home game it......smells like......... VICTORY ! ..... =)) ..... =))
Now that is funny!Scented turf fields.I'm sure we would have to have it especially if DUXBURY has it.God forbid we don't have what they have or what every town around us has!Gotta keep up with the neighbors!! :roll:

demorats
Transient
Transient

Post by demorats » Nov Thu 10, 2011 12:00 am

Dr. McGoodwin,Borstel and the school comm. should be charged with vandalism and neglect of public property,instead lets give them 100+ million ?
Never spent a dime on maintenance and books for 400-500 K have to be purchased out of the general fund ?
Books that were needed but not given to the students until a citizen at town meeting asked the taxpayers to buy them for the kids
Education is not a priority in Marshfield ?
No maintenance, no books, I wonder where the money has been spent.......?
Not on raises right ?
Where is the outrage ?
These actions are criminal !
If it is "for the children" how come the school is unsafe and the parents have to beg town meeting for text books ?
When are we going to hold the people responsible for this mess ?.....Never.....because these incompetant boobs are the insiders incompetant boobs !
Wake up and make these "educators" take responsibility for their inactions !
Slow down and weigh both options equally and then decide.
Used car salesmen have the same pitch as these town hall cheerleaders and the administration "Do it now,that price is for today only, Tommorrow it will be more money" give me a break
If this plan was so good it would stand on its own merits, but they have to push it through in a hurry and with deception and fearmongering before we all realize we have been taken for a ride and no one is held accountable for letting the building fall into severe disrepair while all involved get 3% + raises every year for what ? Destroying our education system and its infrastructure ?
Whats the rush ? What is being hidden from the taxpayers this time ?
Perhaps some more Rocco math ?

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by goodguy » Nov Thu 10, 2011 11:51 am

You got the wrong idea about the Duxbury turf fields. They actually have mobile scent. They stink up the half the opponent is on.

Patricia J Reilly
Transient
Transient

Post by Patricia J Reilly » Nov Thu 10, 2011 3:36 pm

Go Bruins!

choudahead
Transient
Transient

Post by choudahead » Nov Thu 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Patricia J Reilly wrote:http://www.theonion.com/articles/town-h ... -say,2277/

Can't resist...
I was at that meeting!!!!!

something about Trane came up too.

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Thu 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Tricia --

The Onion is often laugh out loud funny, but that is one of the best Onion articles I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

goodguy
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by goodguy » Nov Thu 10, 2011 10:21 pm

Do they have a forum too?

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Thu 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Can't resist...
Marshead wrote:Tricia --

The Onion is often laugh out loud funny, but that is one of the best Onion articles I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing!
Can't find the link, but my favorite is the one about the Bride-of-Satan Selectwoman and the Bloated-Egotistical-Tick Selectman, holed up in a Plymouth library, babbling insanely about "conspiracy theorists" and "venom spewing naysayers." =))

There was video of their mental breakdowns, too, and it was so laugh out loud funny I could watch it all day. :lol:

Just couldn't resist, Tricia. :lol:

P.S. Tricia, now that you are not a selectman, don't you have anything to say about the HS, or this thread, or the criminal distribution of flyers. I called our Town Clerk today and NO ONE has talked to her about filing the proper expenditure form. Is there anyone running this town who plans to set things right???

Patricia J Reilly
Transient
Transient

Post by Patricia J Reilly » Nov Fri 11, 2011 7:51 am

clover wrote:

Can't resist...
Marshead wrote:Tricia --

Can't find the link, but my favorite is the one about the Bride-of-Satan Selectwoman and the Bloated-Egotistical-Tick Selectman, holed up in a Plymouth library, babbling insanely about "conspiracy theorists" and "venom spewing naysayers." =))

There was video of their mental breakdowns, too, and it was so laugh out loud funny I could watch it all day. :lol:

Just couldn't resist, Tricia. :lol:

P.S. Tricia, now that you are not a selectman, don't you have anything to say about the HS, or this thread, or the criminal distribution of flyers. I called our Town Clerk today and NO ONE has talked to her about filing the proper expenditure form. Is there anyone running this town who plans to set things right???

No, no, no, and I think those who are running the town are doing a fine job. (It is not as easy as it looks...try it sometime). See you at town meeting.

BTW, as much as I appreciate all the hard work and head aches that Going Coastal must have with this forum I can be found on the "other" Marshfield Forum, where people don't hide behind screen names.
Go Bruins!