When will Marshfield have full-day Kindergarten?

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
lcbos
Visitor
Visitor

When will Marshfield have full-day Kindergarten?

Post by lcbos » Oct Thu 29, 2009 9:49 pm

According to the Mass gov website, 75% of MA Kindergarteners are now full-time. I have heard two different versions of what Marshfield is thinking about in terms of full-day kindergarten version 1) The town is looking into it and version 2) It will be offered in 2010. Hoping to learn more about what is actually going on as my daughter would start Kindergarten next year, fall 2010.

XtremeCarpetCleaning
Resident
Resident

Re: When will Marshfield have full-day Kindergarten?

Post by XtremeCarpetCleaning » Oct Fri 30, 2009 5:23 am

go ask the school committee or call Superintenedent Middleton McGoodwins office. I am sure they can give you more information than people on the forum.

I was against the half-day from a convenience standpoint but my son gets exhausted on Thursdays so now I see the point of them.

Good luck in your quest for information.
Xtreme Carpet Cleaning
Steam cleaning
"Dries in Minutes NOT Hours"
781-837-5930
http://WWW.25dollarsaroom.com

Swamp Yankee
Resident
Resident

Post by Swamp Yankee » Oct Fri 30, 2009 10:23 am

Two major initiatives by the Marshfield School Committee are at the early discussion stage.

Full-Day Kindergarten and a change in start times for all Marshfield Schools will face the scrutiny of two subcommitees that are being developed.

These new programs are likely to be implemented for the fall of 2010, if the schools budget allows.

If you go to this site, you can click on the audio.

http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Marshfi ... tives-2183

PunkerD
Transient
Transient

Post by PunkerD » Oct Sat 31, 2009 12:31 pm

This information would be very helpful to have, especially for those of us with multiple children... and trying to rearrange schedules to accommodate everyone. However, I cannot get the audio to work...

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Mon 02, 2009 10:50 am

Good luck on the full-day kindergarten. That's been a topic of discussion for a long time, but we're still stuck in the Middle Ages...
[color=#FF0000]The Law Offices of John S. Keating: A General Practice Law Firm Offering Personal Attention and Timely, AFFORDABLE Legal Services to South Shore Residents & Businesses: 617-285-8113. [url]http://www.johnkeatinglaw.com[/url]; chip@johnkeatinglaw.com.[/color]

amused
Transient
Transient

Post by amused » Nov Mon 02, 2009 1:38 pm

How about paying for your own daycare

XtremeCarpetCleaning
Resident
Resident

Post by XtremeCarpetCleaning » Nov Mon 02, 2009 2:04 pm

I pay for daycare and aftercare for my kindergartener and couldn't be more happy with Cherubs but it isn't an issue of just paying. There are acedemic benefits(supposedly I believe education starts at home) to full day kindergarten plus the changes in time are crazy it would be easier being a morning or afternooner year round rather than switching up. Then you have to deal with bus change times the following year. So invalidating the question on an invalid point is specious at best
Xtreme Carpet Cleaning
Steam cleaning
"Dries in Minutes NOT Hours"
781-837-5930
http://WWW.25dollarsaroom.com

John Vallier
Transient
Transient

Post by John Vallier » Nov Mon 02, 2009 5:15 pm

XtremeCarpetCleaning wrote:I pay for daycare and aftercare for my kindergartener and couldn't be more happy with Cherubs but it isn't an issue of just paying. There are acedemic benefits(supposedly I believe education starts at home) to full day kindergarten plus the changes in time are crazy it would be easier being a morning or afternooner year round rather than switching up. Then you have to deal with bus change times the following year. So invalidating the question on an invalid point is specious at best
Cheese with that whine? :lol:

John Vallier
Transient
Transient

Post by John Vallier » Nov Mon 02, 2009 5:17 pm

amused wrote:How about paying for your own daycare
I beleive the full day will come with a cost to the parents.

amused
Transient
Transient

Post by amused » Nov Tue 03, 2009 8:51 am

If you mean the full day Kindegarten will cost them directly, I'd be for that. Somehow I bet they won't be paying the whole thing.

John Vallier
Transient
Transient

Post by John Vallier » Nov Tue 03, 2009 9:47 am

amused wrote:If you mean the full day Kindegarten will cost them directly, I'd be for that. Somehow I bet they won't be paying the whole thing.
That's the way I understand it... Could be wrong

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Tue 03, 2009 11:24 am

Amused --

Did your parents have to pay for even part of your 5th grade education? How about your freshman year of high school? Senior year? (No, I'm not talking about property taxes -- I'm talking about something on top of that, like user fees, or whatever Mr. Vallier is alluding to, which you seem to support.)

Full-day kindergarten is NOT about "day care," although having a half day (that switches, mid-year, no less) DOES create havoc for working families. The issue is providing a decent education for the youth of this town, and creating better, more productive, citizens. Citizens who are able to compete in an increasingly competitive global economy. (As it is, American schoolkids spend far less time in the classroom, each year, than just about any other industrialized country.) We are WAY behind the curve, and outside the mainstream, in not providing full-day kindergarten -- kinda like a town that has only part-time cops, or doesn't plow its roads when it snows.

My youngest is at FBMS, but I still strongly support full-day kindergarten. And if you are concerned about property values in town, this is certainly an issue that most young families would consider when choosing where to buy a home.
[color=#FF0000]The Law Offices of John S. Keating: A General Practice Law Firm Offering Personal Attention and Timely, AFFORDABLE Legal Services to South Shore Residents & Businesses: 617-285-8113. [url]http://www.johnkeatinglaw.com[/url]; chip@johnkeatinglaw.com.[/color]

Marshfield Mama
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Marshfield Mama » Nov Tue 03, 2009 1:39 pm

I am on the full-day kindergarten subcommitee. Our first meeting is Monday November 9th. If people are interested I will post the outcome on this board. I am for full-day based on feedback from various parents in towns around Massachusetts that have implemented the program. Some towns charge for the additional time, some do not. Seeing that Marshfield is in a financial bind I think having the option to pay for full-day is a good choice but that is why there is a subcommitte, to discuss and suggest.

teacherlady
Transient
Transient

Post by teacherlady » Nov Tue 03, 2009 7:35 pm

How about a fee on a sliding scale based on income?

John Vallier
Transient
Transient

Post by John Vallier » Nov Tue 03, 2009 7:56 pm

teacherlady wrote:How about a fee on a sliding scale based on income?
LOL.So we need to have proof of income before we can enroll?
If I make more that someone, I pay more?

Why don't we just figure out who all the rich people are in town and make them pay for it......

PunkerD
Transient
Transient

Post by PunkerD » Nov Tue 03, 2009 8:31 pm

Marshfield Mama,
I am interested in hearing the results after your meeting. If you don't mind posting what you can, it would be appreciated.

I second what Marshead stated... I don't view this at all as a form of "daycare." If a child can handle a full day of school, then why not put them up to the challenge and give them the opportunity? I'd rather give my child every possible advantage, especially when he/she is eager and excited to learn.

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Tue 03, 2009 8:38 pm

If a child can handle a full day of school, then why not put them up to the challenge and give them the opportunity?

My kids were in a full-day day care program at age 4, and loved it. It was also very learning intensive, so they weren't just playing with blocks and fingerpaint. Once they got to kindergarten, they couldn't understand why they had to go home so soon after they got there.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Nov Tue 03, 2009 8:59 pm

There are a couple of problems with starting full day kindergarten in Marshfield. First of all, there are five elementary schools in Marshfield. If we assume that each school currently has four half day kindergarten sessions now, that requires 10 kindergarten teachers as each teacher would have two sessions per day. Each school now requires two classrooms to run the four half day programs. If we go to a full day program, we have to find two additional classrooms per school building for a total of four dedicated classrooms and we would have to hire ten additional classrooms teachers as well as purchase the equipment for those additional classrooms. That's a huge cost. Just to hire the additional ten teachers would run somewhere around $400,000 - $500,000. I don't think many if any of our schools currently have two unused classrooms to be used for the additional space needed.

As of last June, many towns in this state had full day kindergartens. Half day sessions worked when Mom or Dad were home with the kids until they entered kindergarten. I would guess that at least 75-80% of our current kindergraten students have attended some type of pre-school so that kids are far more ready for kindergarten than they were a few years ago. Of the schools in the state that had full day kindergarten, only two in eastern Massachusetts provided that for nothing - Stoughton and Hull. As of this year, Hull has had to go to a fee based system because of budget problems that most towns have experienced. The fes paid for full time Kindergarten now range from $2000 to $3500 per year. In Hull, the fee is now $3000 per year. There is a sliding scale for those on free or reduced lunch. The state has pushed full day kindergarten but has not been willing to pay for it. Many towns receive full day kindergarten grants from the state based on the percent of free and reduced lunch students, but the state has also been gradually cutting down the amount it gives to towns over the past few years.

I agree that full time kindergarten is very beneficial, but how do we pay for it and where do we find the additional space needed?

Marshfield Mama
Visitor
Visitor

Post by Marshfield Mama » Nov Wed 04, 2009 11:56 am

Niles - good points I will try to bring them to the committee meeting. I know in some places free standing structures are used for additional classroom space. I think we need to determine how much interest there is for full-day. If it's 50% then we would need fewer resources. I know class size is a problem already so you're points are well taken.
The kindergarten teachers to whom I've spoken are very interested in full-day and hiring more teachers would be a benefit to the system. I paid well in excess of $3000 for three days of daycare for my daughter when she was in kingergarten and would have prefered to give that money to the school system.
Check back next week for my summary of the meeting.

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Wed 04, 2009 1:03 pm

There is so much vacant commercial space in this town, it's hard to imagine that we couldn't find space if the town decided to set up a single, centralized, full-day kindergarten program. Among other properties, the Jack and Jill day care facility on the Marshfield/Pembroke line (on Route 139) has been vacant for months. How much it would cost for a long-term lease is something that would need to be investigated, but this is just one of many spaces that could be converted to kindergarten classrooms at a relatively low cost.

amused
Transient
Transient

Post by amused » Nov Mon 09, 2009 8:40 am

Marshead et al,
It is daycare. It is a FACT that children at that age that are with their parents instead of Kindergarten do better in life. It is also a fact that the US leads the world in time spent in school. Too bad there isn't more emphasis on the parents taking MORE responsibility for raising their children instead of figuring out how they can offload more of it to the government. You can rationalize it all you want, but you know I am right. In this economy it is a shame that both parents may have to work, but it should only be as a last resort. Full day kindergarten is not something being pursued "for the children".

Marshead
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Marshead » Nov Mon 09, 2009 3:06 pm

From the Execxutive Summary of the 2005 report by the Education Commission of the States (full report here: http://www.ecs.org/clearinghouse/62/41/6241.pdf)

While kindergarten has been delivered primarily as a
half-day program since the Great Depression of the 1930s,
fundamental changes in American society and education
over the past 20 years support a greater emphasis on
full-day kindergarten.Today, full-day kindergarten offers
several potential benefits. It provides continuity for children
accustomed to full-day experiences outside of the home,
provides continuity with schedules in 1st grade and beyond,
reduces the number of disruptions and transitions children
experience in a typical day, and allows teachers more time
for both formal and informal instruction that provide meaningful
learning opportunities. It also provides an important
opportunity to align the policies and practices of the grades
that follow kindergarten with those of the early learning
programs that typically come before.

Furthermore, results of empirical research on the effects
of full- versus half-day kindergarten are encouraging. Studies
not only show full-day programs have no detrimental effects
on children who attend, but students show significantly
stronger academic gains over the course of the kindergarten
year than their counterparts in half-day programs. While
more research is needed to show the long-term benefits
involved, the existing body of literature on the effects
of full-day kindergarten establishes it as an important
component for state policymakers to include as they
strengthen early academic settings and work to close
achievement gaps.

From On the Clock: Rethinking the Way Schools Use Time, by Elena Silva, a senior policy analyst at the Washington-based think tank "Education Sector":

[T]he United States lags behind much of the world in instructional hours per year -- only 799 compared to Finland (861), South Korea (1,079), Netherlands (911) and Japan (926), the top four countries in a recent international math test. But we also had fewer instructional hours than four countries that ranked below us on that test, Portugal (889), Italy (884), Greece (806) and Turkey (825).

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Nov Mon 09, 2009 5:48 pm

[T]he United States lags behind much of the world in instructional hours per year -- only 799 compared to Finland (861), South Korea (1,079), Netherlands (911) and Japan (926), the top four countries in a recent international math test. But we also had fewer instructional hours than four countries that ranked below us on that test, Portugal (889), Italy (884), Greece (806) and Turkey (825).
I'm surprised at most of these numbers since we always hear that many other nations' students spend so much time in school. Maybe none of the figures are reliable? In Massachusetts, students are required to have 900 or more instructional hours.

http://www.doe.mass.edu/lawsregs/603cmr ... section=04

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Thu 25, 2018 11:28 am

It's up for a vote at town meeting this coming April.
Over a half million now but how much will the true cost be over time and why all of the sudden is this being pushed now?

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Thu 25, 2018 11:43 am

Is this possibly tied in to getting parents to vote in favor of charter change if the charter is presented at town meeting or at a special town meeting.
Let's not forget the massive Modera project to be built in Enterprise Park. 245 units with multiple bedrooms. Is the proposal to have full day kindergarten also a plan to help fill those units up quickly?
Be careful of what those propose as a thing to benefit parents/children as their agenda may be to benefit those who stand to make a lot of money at a cost to you the taxpaying parent in the long run.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Thu 25, 2018 2:57 pm

Eric,
This is not something new. People in town have been pushing for this for almost five years. The tuition for full day is currently $3000 per child. Many towns cost a lot more. This has nothing to do with some hidden agenda or the Modera project or trying to lure people into our town because we have free full day kindergarten.Almost 80% of towns in the state now offer free full day kindergarten. Not every issue is a conspiracy.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Thu 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Eric K wrote:
Jan Thu 25, 2018 11:28 am
... ... why all of the sudden is this being pushed now?
One reason why the town government would finally be doing this is the fact that the town is LOADED with cash these days. There was $3 million in free cash, this past fall, that was not fully spent at the last Town Meeting. Maresco (as reported by the Mariner) has reported that $2.8 million in new revenues are planned for this upcoming fiscal year. Also, the school department has held on to some of the fee money that parents have paid for full day kindergarten and has built up a pot of a couple hundred thousand (+?) dollars. That fee money should have been used in the past, and since it was not, that balance needs to disappear ASAP because collecting fee money and not using it for its intended purpose is against the law.

The finance team has been waiting for the right timing to implement this change, and now with all this cash available the time is right.

Eric K, check out page 172 of the 2016 Annual Report to see the growing balance of Full Day Kindergarten money for that fiscal year. The beginning balance at July 1, 2015 was $320,584, and the ending balance at June 30, 2016 was $397,939. June 30th is THE END of a school year, and one would expect that fee balance to be near zero dollars. When I questioned the school finance director he explained that part of the ending balance was legitimate since parents had to pre-pay some of the fee for the upcoming September. He also admitted, however, that a good part of the balance was fee money that was NOT spent on the children it was collected for and that some parents past fees will eventually be spent (most likely when implementing full day) on some children who are not the parents own. Ain't government great? Those in charge can charge you, hang on to your cash, and cry poverty while sitting on piles on dough. Let's see if the town administration will drop the usual poverty act this year to get this change pushed through. That'll be such a sacrifice for them, but maybe they can do it for the children.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Great to have you back in action clover.
We need a numbers person.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Thu 25, 2018 4:56 pm

I never left the action, Eric. I just like to cut back on following along here and there since the wrong-doings of town leaders are impossible to keep up with. It's sad that there are many mommies and daddies out there who think that full day kindergarten is going to sharpen up their kids. It's just my opinion, but I think those parents need to sharpen up themselves, and then they can educate their own children on thinking skills that are important and that are not taught in the public schools.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:01 pm

It would be nice if the school department took some of that money and put it toward extra busses do that ALL of the elementary schools could be on the same schedule. It is so disruptive for parents, especially working parents, to have to rearrange their work schedules every two years because the elementary schools keep changing their schedules every two years. There is no legitimate need for this.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Thu 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Clover,
Half day kindergarten was fine 20-30 years ago when kindergarteners came to school with very few academic skills. Years ago, kindergarteners were taught shapes, colors and how to count. The vast majority of today's kindergarteners enter after having experienced 1-3 years of pre-school and are coming in with many more academic sklls than their parents came in with a generation ago. Full day kindergarten is a necessity if we are to keep up with the world. As a retired elementary school teacher and principal in another town that has always had free full time kindergarten, it makes a huge difference in skills development and academic development. I only have to look at my own grandkids to see the difference between full day kindergarten and half day kindergarten. Times have changed and academic expectations have also changed. We need full day kindergarten not only to compete globally, but also to compete with communities within our own state.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Thu 25, 2018 7:51 pm

The way this town operates everything they do has a reason and it's not with parents/kids best interest in mind.
As you say Niles it's been pushed for 5 years and all of the sudden this is when it should happen.
$3000.00 in Marshfield and most communities charge more you note. Then I would almost say parents are getting a deal but if there is a couple of hundred thousand dollars left over from the fees parents where charged then I it should be asked how much should they have actually been.charged.
Much like a few years ago when the Recreation Dept. was sitting on a pile of cash and the town came in took a chunk of that off the Rec. Dept. hand for the general fund. This town looks at parents as an a.t.m. through their kids.
The parents need to pay attention on how this town operates and start questioning things.
I don't think a longer kindergarten day is what will keep us competitive. A longer school day as the kids progress through school is probably what is needed.

felinesmom
Tourist
Tourist

Post by felinesmom » Jan Fri 26, 2018 3:01 pm

A bit off topic but where exactly is this over $2 mil in new revenue Maresco is predicting coming from? :?: :?:

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Jan Fri 26, 2018 8:22 pm

This is part of the Modus Operandi for Mikey and the Democrat operatives.
If there is any money laying around he will find a way to get it spent and take credit for his largesse, generosity and for how much he 'cares' for the children, parents etc , etc.

Watch and mark my words. In the rollout of fulltime kindergarten, Mikey will find a way to get his face and voice front-and-center for all the mommies to see and hear.

The town is flush with cash right now.

Basically, this money comes from maxing-out the property tax increases and years with more state aid and a lot of building/remodeling /construction, which brings in more cash to the town. The millions that they have to play with now is also because of favourable borrowing conditions, stretching out debt payments, debts falling off of the 'books' and again and most importantly: they are taking in TOO MUCH. So, instead of giving the taxpayers a break and REDUCING taxes, they are grabbing for more and more. It is NOT because the "financial team" and the "investment team" are geniuses.

There is also some speculation about how much cash the town scooped in from the making of Denzel's latest movie in and around Brant Rock.

At the same time we are being told that the town needs to spend $100 MILLION to save it's buildings, roads and water/sewer infrastructure.

You can bet that they will go to tax OVERRIDES to pay for that instead of tightening their belts.

Now, there is nothing wrong with fulltime kindergarten. Personally, i think that the biggest benefit is that it is a large scale daycare operation. This saves individual parents and families a BOATLOAD of money and frees them up to deal with other domestic chores. Also, I do not believe that fulltime kindergarten does little to benefit the children academically in the long run.
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Fri 26, 2018 9:20 pm

A reduction in taxes!
Something most people in this town could use!
Joe, that is a genius idea!
Between a reduction in fees for full day kindergarten ( as school dept. Is sitting on money from what parents paid in past ) and a tax break for all that would help those parents offset expenses for the option of full day kindergarten.
It's a win for everyone.
Maybe, a seat as selectmen could be in the running for you this year.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Sat 27, 2018 2:13 pm

felinesmom wrote:
Jan Fri 26, 2018 3:01 pm
A bit off topic but where exactly is this over $2 mil in new revenue Maresco is predicting coming from? :?: :?:
As Joseph already stated, our property taxes are increased by the maximum allowed each year, and this results in $2 million+ more in revenues every time. The latest budget draft is on the town's website. The proposed new revenues are on the last page. The property tax levy, before the added school debt, is scheduled to grow $2.1 million. Add the school debt in and it's even more.
https://www.marshfield-ma.gov/sites/mar ... _18ppt.pdf

Eric K wrote:
Jan Thu 25, 2018 11:28 am
... ...why all of the sudden is this being pushed now?
Ok, here's another reason the school department would want this now. There's an embarrassing shortage of students to go with the increasing pile of revenues and those hefty $3,000 fees. The school administration can't keep making parents pay $3,000 for extra teaching positions when most of those positions existed in years past and were already funded by the taxpayers.

if you watch the Jan.18th school committee meeting from the link below, starting at 16 minutes+ you'll see Tom Miller explain that the most recent planned Kindergarten lottery was cancelled because there are so few students for this upcoming school year. There are only 194 students registered for next year's Kindergarten at this time, when years ago there would have been more like 350 incoming students. Miller states that we can run 2 full day classes for 165 kids at each elementary school next year and still have room for those you want half day.

In years past, at least three of the five elementary schools had two full time Kindergarten teachers before this full day stuff even started. So with so many fewer students, full day can be accommodated without much change from what the taxpayers used to pay for.

Leave it to a school department to turn a decrease of 150 students into an increase of $515,000.

Marshfield's overall student population has fallen by about 500 in the past ten years. Of course the school department always likes you to think they are "doing more with less," while in reality they are teaching less (students) with more (cash.)
https://vimeo.com/marshfieldtv

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Sat 27, 2018 5:46 pm

Yes, I was at a early morning budget meeting a month or two ago and Tom Miller mentioned the drop in student count in the future. This goes to my mentioning of Modera development and the possibility of a ton of kids living there esp. If this town offers free full day kindergarten where surroundings communities ( being reported ) do not offer free full day kindergarten.

niles
Tourist
Tourist

Post by niles » Jan Sat 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Eric
I have a couple of questions for you. First of all, what towns around Marshfield are not offering full day kindergarten? Secondly, why would Modera make a huge difference in staffing? Even if Modera produced an additional 100 students, spread over 13 grade levels from K-12, that would mean an additional 7-8 students per grade level which would not necessitate additional staff.
As far as having less kindergarteners than years past, that may be true but please understand that in my experience as an elementary principal in two towns, preliminary numbers mean nothing until August. Kindergarten numbers always go up dramatically in August. School enrollments across all grade levels are dropping in almost every town not only on the South Shore, but across the state. Birth rates are down everywhere.
And Joseph, I didn't know you were such an educational expert when you stated that full day kindergarten really doesn't make a difference in academic achievement. Having spent 40 years in elementary education as a teacher and principal, full day kindergarten most definitely makes a difference. As far as the surplus in kindergarten tuition is concerned, it should have been used in direct services to students and not stockpiled if that is true. I have no personal interest in this issue in that all of my grandkids are well beyond kindergarten, but as an educator, I am very concerned with giving all Marshfield students a fair shot at competing in this world.

clover
Resident
Resident

Post by clover » Jan Sat 27, 2018 8:30 pm

niles wrote:
Jan Sat 27, 2018 7:00 pm
...I have a couple of questions for you. First of all, what towns around Marshfield are not offering full day kindergarten?...
Eric wrote that surrounding towns don't offer free full day K, and this has been reported by the school administration.
Here is a listing of towns that charge for full day. The surrounding towns are on it.
http://www.strategiesforchildren.org/do ... nRates.pdf
niles wrote:
Jan Sat 27, 2018 7:00 pm
... ...as an educator, I am very concerned with giving all Marshfield students a fair shot at competing in this world.
If all kids went to half day together, that would be fair and kids could still compete. Five year olds won't be learning much more in full day kindergarten since education isn't mandated until age six in MA. An advanced K curriculum can't exist because the first mandatory curriculum starts in first grade.

I have no strong opinion against full day kindergarten except that the money would be much better spent in the upper grades if we're all to be so concerned with competing globally. Based on my past experiences, Marshfield could do a better job raising students up instead of focusing so much on special ed for so many and leveling students downward. My youngest son was almost placed into the low track of math after earning a B in sixth grade. When I called the school, I was told there were about 60 kids who were in the same situation as he was. I had to call the superintendent to help get him moved upward and now he is taking AP Calc as a senior and earning A's. How was the lower track going to help him compete globally, and what are those other 60 kids doing now?

Every year/time the Marshfield school department gets more money, the excess after raises goes to some typical expense (books), new administrators, or special ed or social worker type staff or programs. I heard it again during that Jan. 18th school committee meeting. The middle school's greatest needs are supposedly a special ed teacher and a social worker.

When we're talking about competing globally, we're talking about careers and college readiness. Marshfield focuses little on that and does nothing new or creative in the upper grades to prepare students to work or to on to college with some concrete idea of what major might suit the student best. Some schools in MA and around the country are focusing on career path possibilities and adding courses in subjects that expose students to needed job skills and/or college majors.

If we were to spend money on the older students, the globally competitive talk would be justified. An extra half day for a five year old isn't going to make up for a lackluster education in the higher grades. ...And I'm not saying Marshfield's higher grades are taught poorly. What I'm saying is, that if other countries are supposedly better than we are, then we should make changes and the most important ones would be in middle school and high school.

Eric K
Transient
Transient

Post by Eric K » Jan Sun 28, 2018 9:16 am

Thanks clover for posting list.
Niles, you mention 100 kids spread out over the grades. It has to be taken into consideration that with free full day kindergarten that you may have 100 kindergarten children in one complex.
Not including the other grades.
Who's to say that if this article passes and when the development gets built that we may get an abnormal influx of people moving from other towns to take advantage of what is being discussed here.
People really need to think this through in regards to possible long term effects before voting in favor of this.
If it passes I will cross my fingers and hope in the future I won't be saying " I told you so". Something tells me that won't be happening though.
I think a reduction in taxes ( if feasible ) are the way to go.