The City of Marshfield Jetport

Marshfield related issues.
Forum rules
Please Click Here To View Rules ---- To contact the administrator please email admin@southshoreforums.com.
Seahag
Tourist
Tourist

Re: The City of Marshfield Jetport

Post by Seahag » Sep Tue 06, 2016 3:42 pm

Duhh, a 5,500 ft. runway so we can have Jet Blue here, too???!!!

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Tue 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Joseph wrote:YNotice that Bridges does not cite any noise data about Marshfield - even though he knows that it exists (Even though it is flawed and did not fully evaluate impacts.).
I know nothing of the sort.

If you know of a noise study, by all mean feel free to cite it. I know nothing of it.
Marshfield is floating/wedged in a tidal marsh/inland & coastal wetlands. (Actually it's propped up on thousands of copper-arsenic-chromium-treated pilings.)
Immaterial to either noise or fumes.

The project met all of it's environmental requirements. Period.

Our Conservation Commissioner was on record multiple times saying that use of such pilings is completely routine, in projects up and down the coast (including Marshfield).
Marshfield: Well, There are scores of houses within a few thousand feet - with most of those under approach/take-off paths. And since the EXPANSION and ENLARGEMENT of Marshfield airport the aircraft on these flight paths are consistently lower over the homes.
The FAA considers a proposed change / project to need environmental review if it triggers a 3 db change within the 65 db noise contour. I know this from my Logan work. The new Logan routes over us did not require environmental review, as we are only around 32 dB DNL around here, according to their modeling. The 65 dB contour is way North of us - like up over Hull - where Logan traffic is at MUCH lower altitude.

Here are the contours for Martha's Vineyard:

While the traffic (and noise) on the shorter runway is more comparable to us, let's look at the longer runway. This runway sees commercial jet airliners - FAR bigger than anything we see. And VASTLY more jet operations per day. Hence, VASTLY more noise, VASTLY higher DNL.

Yet look at the contour plot around the longer runway. Zoom until the image matches the scale.
Looks like the 65 dB contour only goes about 1/4 mile from the end of the runway. And only about a 1/16 of a mile from the sides of the runways.
And that's with MUCH larger aircraft, and VASTLY more jet operations per day.

What's on the ground, is pretty immaterial to what the noise contour plots look like. But the fact is, the corridor affected by objectionable noise around our airport is VERY skinny. It would have to be, if you compare to the plots at all these other airports.

As for the people living in that corridor...I think these quotes pretty much sum it up:
lost cause wrote:I would not have chosen to live near any airport, do to the fumes, plane noise, among other things. That being said if I had chosen to live near the airport, I would not be bitching about those issues. I also would not live next door to a fire station do to the noise either, but if I didn't I wouldn't be complaining about it.
techlacroix wrote:Yea, I am sick of the posts. I bought a house near the ocean and not near an airport. Because I didn't want to live next to an airport. Endless debates on the internet are foolish and a waste of time. I come here to find out about my community, but all I see are posts from nuts who don't have the sense to live where they can be happy.
Also, three houses have been torn down
And the owners compensated.
and many others have been devalued because of the airport.
PROVE IT. :roll:
This is lost tax revenue and disrupted lives.
PROVE IT. You have seen the studies stating that actually, the airport brings in revenue to the local economy.
Not to mention persons with documented or claimed health issues.
There has been zero evidence that ANYONE has ANY health issues caused by the airport.
Now, Martha's Vineyard has a 5,500 foot-long runway.
Actually, they have a shorter runway too.
Marshfield has a 4,000 foot-long runway.
That is a lie. Even during an emergency, it's 3900 feet. Normal use, 3600 foot max.
Can anyone guess what the airport gang in Marshfield has on their wish list when the next round of FAA grant$ is pursued?
Except that they have stated on the record, repeatedly, that they do not.

You could not put in a longer runway. Not feasible.

But the bigger question is, WHAT WOULD BE THE BUSINESS CASE?

We have NONE of the pre-requisites to support larger aircraft, or commercial operations (and we NEVER will).

We do not have a large enough terminal building with gates.
We do not have adequate parking.
We do not have baggage handling facilities.
We do not have security.
We do not have a control tower.
We do not have ARFF (on site airport firefighting).

Those things are all required for scheduled airline service. We have NONE of them.
A number of neighboring airports do meet these requirements.

So Joseph, you tell me in what BS flight of imagination you can see us needing to expand the runway so that we can have scheduled air.
THERE IS NO BUSINESS CASE. AND IF THERE IS NO BUSINESS CASE, IT DOES NOT GET DONE.

Why on earth would you think we'd have enough demand to support scheduled air? We are not Cape Cod. We are not the islands. We do not have hordes of people flocking to our town - not enough to support scheduled air.
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

zoomzoom
Transient
Transient

Post by zoomzoom » Sep Fri 09, 2016 2:54 am

So Jack, rest his soul, started this in 2005 and you two nuts are still going back and forth about it?! Hilarious! :lol:

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 10, 2016 8:55 am

Seems this post got deleted (which makes sense). Anyways:
clickdiffford - today wrote:These jets really suck! I was talking with my family a couple of weeks ago on my deck, and nearly half a dozen planes were taking off, really throwing off my conversation. But when I hear a jet take off, I almost scream bloody murder. I don't know about you, but in a few years time, a number of airlines will divert their flights to Marshfield. You'll see every single small carrier want to start overseas service from this town to different parts of Europe. Then what will happen to this town? ~X(
I will assume this is an attempt at sarcasm, since you said the exact same thing this time last year:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16055&p=505685#p505685
clickdifford, Sept 11, 2015 wrote:Before you know it, the big airlines will want to funnel some of their flights out of Logan Airport and use Marshfield as their departure and arrival point. Then we'll have problems.
And way back in 2013 too:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16055&p=484637#p484637
clickdifford, June 6, 2013 wrote:Oh, great! Just great! Before too long, several airlines will want to divert their flights from Boston to Marshfield! And in 5 years time, you'll probably see Ryanair or Aer Lingus landing in our town. Now wouldn't that be convenient? Get on an Aer Lingus jet in Marshfield and you could be into Shan...
Still waiting for those airliners to arrive. Joseph and pals been promising them for years now (especially now that the runway project is done). :shock: :roll:
Scituate BOS, BU Prof and scientist Rick Murray: The only real answer is retreat. I feel for these people...They inherited their house from their great grandmother or spent a lot of money to buy it. But...we are fighting a losing battle with the sea.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 10, 2016 9:12 am

zoomzoom wrote:So Jack, rest his soul, started this in 2005 and you two nuts are still going back and forth about it?! Hilarious! :lol:
Rest his soul? Well, that explains why Jackster, and his pack of obnoxious sock-puppet usernames, has not posted in quite a while.

Glad, you're laughing, zoomzoom. Laugh of ignorance, I guess. Not many people feel like laughing when they finally figure out people like Joseph and Jackster (and the whacky litigious lawyer lady - who shall rename nameless. as she never met a lawsuit she didn't like) goaded the town into wasting HUGE sums of money fighting nonsense.

In the case of Jackster, it was mostly the Logan airport routes. He and his gazillion sockpuppets vocally insisted that the new Logan airport routes over Marshfield rolled out after 2007, would lead to the coming apocalypse. They got the town all hyped up, and the town sued. I advised against it.

The town spent a fortune on lawyers fees. I assume you helped pay for this, zoomzoom.

They lost - exactly as I predicted. The new routes proved to be a non-issue - exactly as I predicted. Jackster and pals was MASSIVELY, expensively wrong.

And Jack was also vocal (though less so) in the Marshfield airport thread.

Same nonsense. Joseph and his pals forced the town to spend a fortune fighting legal cases about the airport expansion that the voters approved.
Delays costs money.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16055&p=487988&hilit=delays#p487988
Max - former airport commissioner, Sept 2013 wrote:Delays cost money.

Lawsuits and appeals added a year to the project. Construction was planned to begin in Sep/Oct 2012. Now it begins in Oct 2013. Those appeals required additional grants amounting to more than $1 million.

Good way to save citizens' tax money.
That cost YOU money, zoomzoom.

So I am so glad that you have a sense of humor about the antics of guys like Jack or Joseph, zoomzoom. Especially when they cost you real money! :shock:

Honestly - I'd just laugh about Joseph's years-long battle with the airport. Like most people, I was not dumb enough to buy the house in town closest to the end of the runway (brilliant) . But if you're smart, you can't afford to just laugh off the antics of these idiots, because sometimes, it costs the rest of us real money...

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sat 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Like Bridges (Bridge Troll) says when someone makes claims with numerical values....PROVE IT!
Why do so many officials FEAR and kowtow to the Marshfield Airport gang?

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sat 10, 2016 1:23 pm

Joseph wrote:Like Bridges (Bridge Troll) says when someone makes claims with numerical values....PROVE IT!
Prove what? It is public record that the protests of airport neighbors caused LONG delays in the project schedule.

Max, who was an airport commissioner, stated that those delays drove up the price (which would happen on pretty much any big construction job that got delayed).

The rising cost forced them to seek additional Federal grants. Again - public record. And of course, that is wasted money - cost passed on to taxpayers.

I will ask for the specific numbers at next airport commission meeting.

But you already know all of this to be true... :roll:

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sat 10, 2016 11:25 pm

Quite a conspiracy theory by Bridge Troll.

What is the source of their power? Does it involve some kind of unseemly enterprise? A government entity?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sun 11, 2016 10:33 am

Joseph wrote:Quite a conspiracy theory by Bridge Troll.
No conspiracy. 100% factual and documented.

I dont do lame conspiracies. It's whackjobs like you and Vlad and Mugs who believe the WTC was controlled demolition, and Obama was not born in USA l-)

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sun 11, 2016 3:23 pm

No conspiracy theories?
But, so, do you do lies?

Document or provide ANY proof that any one of your statements made above is true. Just ONE.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sun 11, 2016 3:48 pm

LIes?

I quoted an airport commissioner as to what the project delays cost. Directly. Are you calling him a liar?
I suspect it wound up being in excess of that amount, but I will ask at next airport commission meeting,

Look at the flat out lies YOU have spread about this runway project:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=467468
Joseph 4/18/2012 wrote:It's very simple. When most folks bought property around the airport it was a grass strip or a Class BI airport for planes weighing less than 12,500 pounds.

They snuck in bigger planes and at some point (Who knows when?) the airport was classified as a BII airport - meaning BIGGER and HEAVIER planes. Now they want to INCREASE the classification to CII - meaning BIGGER HEAVIER and FASTER JETS and other planes.

Bridges posts pictures of planes that are Class BI or MAYBE Class BII.

Here is a Class CII plane- comparted to what Bridges throws out there this pic is more like what we will see at the airport if the EXPANSION happens.

1) The ARC of the airport was B-II before the runway project. It is STILL B-II. It is NOT C-II, as Joseph claimed.

2) Has anyone seen any aircraft even REMOTELY that big? Joseph just made that crap up (like his claim that he made, multiple times, that we could see aircraft as big as USAF C-17's in here...which is also ridiculous).

:shock: :shock: That is what Joseph claimed we'd see.

Was this not a CLEAR-CUT, FLAGRANT lie you made, Joseph? It's right here in black and white.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sun 11, 2016 4:36 pm

Boy, I sure do hope that Bridge Troll will report his findings to the rest of us after his next time at an Airport Commission meeting!

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sun 11, 2016 4:50 pm

And I see Joseph is too chicken-**** to take responsibilty for his own WELL documented past LIES.

How about it, Joseph? Care to take responsibilty for past lies?

Airport project's been done for a long time now.

Where is that HUGE jet airliner you predicted we would see?

Are we still a B II airport, or are we now C II?

At least when I am PROVEN wrong, I admit it! :roll:

They are YOUR words, for all to see. Either take ownership, or man up and admit you were wrong!

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sun 11, 2016 8:58 pm

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Jet fumes stink
And so do you.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sun 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Still won't admit it when PROVEN wrong. Recites lame poetry instead.

Zero intestinal fortitude.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sun 11, 2016 11:50 pm

And we're still waiting for this 'proof.'

Oh, yeah...

Bridges wrote:I will ask for the specific numbers at next airport commission meeting.

We are waiting for your report.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Mon 12, 2016 5:23 am

Cut the crap. You've been to these meetings. You know how it works.

You ask a question. They say they'll need to look up the exact numbers, and get back to you.

But they may know the exact amount of the additional grant they had to seek to cover project delays caused by you and your pals.

We'll see...

But I am not giving you your answer, until you respond to my questions first. Otherwise, I will NEVER get answers from you. I already gave you a direct quote from an airport commissioner! :roll:

Where is the airliner you predicted we'd see?
Is it not still a B-II airport?
Does that not mean you were completely wrong?

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Mon 12, 2016 5:35 am

Bridges wrote:Cut the crap. You've been to these meetings. You know how it works.

You ask a question. They say they'll need to look up the exact numbers, and get back to you.

But they may know the exact amount of the additional grant they had to seek to cover project delays caused by you and your pals.

We'll see...

But I am not giving you your answer, until you respond to my questions first. Otherwise, I will NEVER get answers from you. I already gave you a direct quote from an airport commissioner! :roll:

Where is the airliner you predicted we'd see?
Is it not still a B-II airport.
Boy, those take-offs - especially those jets and turboprops going out on Runway 24, do send an awful amount of greasy fumes into the Fieldston neighborhood. In many instances I have smelled the same strong fumes from airport activity all the way up to Ocean Bluff. Never was that bad before the RUNWAY ENLARGEMENT.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Sun 18, 2016 9:43 am

Joseph Dec 2015 wrote:Approximately 8:40 A.M. (just a few minutes ago) PUTRID, ACRID GREASY jet exhaust fumes ooze through neighborhood near airport.

Of course the flight's information is BLOCKED. Must be a secret!!!! Or, the Airport Gang doesn't want the People to be able to keep track of the offenses to the residents and the environment! (People ='s The locals that questioned airport construction and activities and thus, apparently had to be 'reported' to the FBI, FAA, etc)- y'know.)
These flights seem to be hiding in plain sight, then. :roll:

Not only do they not appear to be blocked, they are showing up as Shoreline Aviation flights. Like, did you think to, perhaps, look under the name of the jet operator? :lol:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CST19

Of course, Joseph never met a conspiracy theory he didn't like...

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Sun 18, 2016 11:12 pm

A jet arrived and landed on Runway 24 just before 8:00 tonight.
What a horrible smelly cloud of jet fumes spread over the area - especially centered around Ocean Street and 12th Road.
And late Saturday night there was a late arrival of a jet. Wow! it was SO loud and low!

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Tue 20, 2016 5:04 pm

A VERY noisy and LOW arrival of a twin turbocharged engine plane on Runway 24 (Coming in from the ocean side.), at about 7:00 this morning (Tuesday).

These incidents have become frequent (And, frightening!) since the airport EXPANSION.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Tue 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Joseph wrote:A VERY noisy and LOW arrival of a twin turbocharged engine plane on Runway 24 (Coming in from the ocean side.), at about 7:00 this morning (Tuesday).
Well, since you CHOSE to live smack next to the end of the runway, that's not terribly surprising, is it? :roll:
These incidents have become frequent (And, frightening!) since the airport EXPANSION.
You were at the same airport commission meeting as I was a while back...the one where Jim Cantwell discussed the results of a study of airport glide paths. Since a few of you were pissing and moaning that planes were suddenly coming in too low after the runway project completion, Mr. Cantwell had some experts study this.

The conclusion, of course, was that aircraft were NOT coming in too low, but instead were right on the intended glide slope.

But if you like, I will go over my logged data, and see if I can find some flights that I can use to generate KML tracks (viewable on Google Earth). I can also plot out the glide slope as well.

Would be easy to do, but unfortunately I have a good amount of trees in the way, and so I can't track every flight down to the runway. I seem to do better for flights using runway 6, than runway 24. But I know have logged some flights all the way down to the surface. I can also cart a laptop, receiver and antenna over to the airport sometime, and log some data right from there (but no time for that in the near future)...

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Tue 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Tonight, about 9:35 P.M. - ANOTHER assault upon the residents' peace, tranquility and health as another jet arrives at Marshfield airport on Runway 24 - using the NEW MANDATED approach paths. A horrible, heavy, greasy stench of jet fumes settles over the Fieldston neighborhood as the people pray that this time won't be 'the one' that hits homes in a ball of fire and death.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Tue 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Yes - I tracked it all the way to touchdown (I think), and saved off the data.

When I get a minute, I will try to generate a KML file viewable in Google Earth.
In the meantime, I will see if I can pick out the position hit nearest your house, and get an altitude.

Eric K
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Eric K » Sep Wed 21, 2016 10:04 am

Are my eyes deceiving me. It looks like bridges is possibly helping Joe?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Wed 21, 2016 11:37 am

Eric K wrote:Are my eyes deceiving me. It looks like bridges is possibly helping Joe?
You are a little late to the game. I've posted flight tracks for years...but for Logan. I have never tried it for Marshfield.

It took me months to develop the scripts for Logan, so it will take some work to get these right. At first glance, my track from last night is shifted to the East of reality (plane appeared to touch down on the beach...possibly I have the exact lat lon of my receive site a bit wrong...it needs to be EXACT to find correct position of aircraft on the ground).

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Sep Wed 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Bridges wrote:..my track from last night is shifted to the East of reality (plane appeared to touch down on the beach.

Probably because in reality, it almost DID touch down on the beach.

Eric K
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Eric K » Sep Wed 21, 2016 1:13 pm

How can I be a little late in game if you just started to try it for Marshfield?

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Wed 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Joseph wrote:
Bridges wrote:..my track from last night is shifted to the East of reality (plane appeared to touch down on the beach.

Probably because in reality, it almost DID touch down on the beach.
No - 2 possible reasons:

1) In order to get accurate positions for flights low / on ground, I need extremely accurate lat / lon for my receiving station. It was definitely off for my last attempt - should be somewhat better this time.

2) I am fiddling with receiver settings. I have error correction turned on - which could increase range, but at the possible expense of slight decrease in accuracy. Most say it shouldn't be noticeable, but if I notice that the track is shifted again, I will turn this setting off. I am mostly concerned with shorter range tracks anyway...

Seems like 2 of the 3 regular Shoreline jets do not have ADS-B onboard yet (at least that's my working theory). I get mode S from those planes, but no positions (just altitude).

This newer one gives me ADS-B, so I can plot tracks for it (as i get lat / lon also).

Pretty much all aircraft are required to have ADS-B by the year 2020 (FAA mandate), so these aircraft will have to have it in the not too distant future.

The US is lagging behind much of the rest of the world in ADS-B adoption...

JIMD
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by JIMD » Sep Thu 22, 2016 7:43 am

Bridges if you need any help with electronics/computing trouble shooting Specialties is a great resource. He would correct any issues with your gizmos in short order.
Good Dog

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Thu 22, 2016 9:01 pm

JIMD wrote:Bridges if you need any help with electronics/computing trouble shooting Specialties is a great resource. He would correct any issues with your gizmos in short order.
Yeah - I am aware of Mugs as a resource, and have pinged him on occasion.

We are both ham operators (though he is an extra, and I am just a tech), and know each other's callsigns, so we know each other's real identities too. I know of Mugs' skills - especially with antennae - which is key here.

What I REALLY need is a better location - one with better antenna height. These signals are up in the microwave range (1090 mhz), and line of sight. Almost anything (like trees, which I have in abundance) will attenuate the signal.

I am currently using a cantenna - easy to build, decent performance. At some point, I will try to make a coaxial collinear, which should give me a lot more gain towards the horizon, which is what I need for Marshfield airport traffic. A lot harder to do a good job making these, and a lot can go wrong. Mugsy could probably help with this, when I get around to doing it.
https://www.balarad.net/

The other thing I could try to do, is see if the airport folks would let me park some equipment at the airport. A simple raspberry PI and small, homebrew antenna would work fine. They'd just have to give me a good spot to park the equipment. I could log data to a flash drive, and just collect it periodically. Better would be to ship it out via internet, but I am not sure they'd permit that...

Eric K
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Eric K » Sep Fri 23, 2016 1:43 am

Maybe someone close to airport would allow you to place equipment on their property.
I can't see airport letting you do it.

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Sep Fri 23, 2016 5:25 am

Eric K wrote:Maybe someone close to airport would allow you to place equipment on their property.
I can't see airport letting you do it.
Why can't you see airport letting me do it? Of course I would have to go through official channels.

It could sit in or near the terminal building.
It does not transmit (not capable of that).
It would not interfere with anything.

With some work, it could generate accurate daily stats on operations.

It could generate accurate flight tracks.

It could monitor pilot compliance.

Can't figure why they'd not want it - they can't afford commercial systems that would do these things.

Eric K
Tourist
Tourist

Post by Eric K » Sep Fri 23, 2016 7:04 am

Think about what you are trying to find out. If no one really knows now don't you think certain people would like to keep it that way.
Then again, maybe they won't care.

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Wed 05, 2016 8:18 am

ROAR of jet engines this morning about 7:00.

Imagine starting your day to the sound of the ROAR of a jet takeoff?
That's what it is like in much of the Fieldston-Ocean Bluff-Rexhame neighborhood, especially in Fieldston.

Thanks to our "leaders".

Bridges
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by Bridges » Oct Wed 05, 2016 8:52 pm

Joseph wrote:ROAR of jet engines this morning about 7:00.
Well, you did CHOOSE to live a few hundred feet from the end of a runway. :shock:
Imagine starting your day to the sound of the ROAR of a jet takeoff?
Imagine is all I can do. I can't hear them. Ever.
Imagine is all the vast majority of town residents can do. Because they can't hear the jets either. They live too far away.

But you - you don't have to imagine, because you CHOSE to live a few hundred feet from the end of a runway. Go figure! :shock:

In other news, I have not had much time to study flight track data (I do have a life, after all)...

But I did notice something I have been puzzling over in the data.

Quite often, when the logged GPS position shows the plane as on the runway, the altitude that comes across reads negative. This of course would explain why the planes sometimes seemed to be touching down on the beach.

So, if I look at the track from a Cessna 414 Chancellor that took off over Joseph today at 11:40 UTC (would be 7:40 EDT), it was showing -325 feet altitude at 42.10021,-70.66924. This is on the ground, towards the Eastern end of the runway.

If I look at a later position at 42.10391,-70.66394 (middle of Wilson Rd), the data then shows them at -175 feet. Meaning they gained approx. 150 feet in altitude from the position hit that was on the runway. So, that would put them at 150 feet over Joseph's house.

This would agree with this article: http://www.patriotledger.com/article/20 ... /141018196 , talking about the study where Cantwell had experts study the flight paths in and out of our runways.
Patriot Ledger 10/14/2015 wrote:Berlyn said the jet aircraft was at a height of 250 to 300 feet when it passed over the seawall, and then 125 to 150 feet as it crossed over Wilson Road. He said that altitude was "well within compliant safety and best practice standards set forth by the FAA," the police report said
Article says 125 to 150 feet over Wilson rd (as measured on one aircraft in the study).

I see 150 feet in the Cessna approach I log today.

Assumptions:

I am not a pilot, but I know they often use pressure altitude. I think that perhaps what I am seeing is that the barometric pressure is not dialed in quite right?

So the altitude that is being sent across the ADS-B is reading low? Not really sure. I do notice that for a number of aircraft, I see negative altitudes when the aircraft are located along the runway.

So, if I can pick out the altitude I am reading when I am pretty certain the aircraft is really on the ground, then I use that as my zero altitude. I can simply subtract that from the altitude data I receive to get the true altitude. I will try to add this to my script logic when I get a minute (so I can plot some tracks), but am not gonna have free time for this in the near future.

The other funniness is that there is supposed to be a flag in the datastream to indicate that the "ground squat" switch is active. This happens when the weight of the aircraft is on the landing gear (meaning it is on the ground). I see if flip in the datastream for some aircraft on the runway, but not always. I could use this flag to set my zero altitude (if this flag proves reliable).

At any rate, the long and short of it is, I see no indication at this juncture to indicate that planes are at all low going over Joseph.
They seem to be right about where Cantwell's study said they should be (although, as I said, I am still pondering the data. But so far, I think I am correctly pondering).

Joseph
Citizen
Citizen

Post by Joseph » Oct Wed 05, 2016 10:50 pm

"Cantwell's study." =)) =)) =))

Do not feed the Bridge Troll.

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Oct Thu 06, 2016 4:55 am

I am not a pilot,
This is obvious...

All aircraft whether on instrument or visual flight plan set their altimeters to runway height before take off, in our case 9 feet above mean sea level, and this number is the same as it was in the 50s when I first used that runway...
There goes your fake albore gw sea level change theory... ( for one thing )

Using pressure altitude is more for instrument flights where the universal setting of 29.92 inches may not be accurate for a given time but gives all flights the same relative altitude as to each other...

Naturally an encoded altimeter output in to a transponder mode is what Air Traffic Control uses to see the real picture on their screen...

You're fired... Stick to bit banging and saving shrillary...
First it was the CHURCH, then the FAMILY, and now the NATION...

bobkat
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by bobkat » Oct Fri 07, 2016 3:28 am

specialties wrote:
I am not a pilot,
This is obvious...

All aircraft whether on instrument or visual flight plan set their altimeters to runway height before take off, in our case 9 feet above mean sea level, and this number is the same as it was in the 50s when I first used that runway...
There goes your fake albore gw sea level change theory... ( for one thing )
Your statement is false . you say your setting hasn't change in over 60 years. That doesn't mean the sea level hasn't changed .You are setting the altimeter to be 9 feet above . So lets sea level is a zero in the 1950's and you set it to be 9 feet above. So your 9 feet above. In 60 years the sea level has risen 2 feet. You set the altimeter 9 feet above the sea level .So you are 9 feet above the sea level. Iif your altimeter was reading the sea level back in the 1950's and you are setting it to 9 feet above that level . You would only be 7 feet above the sea level of today. You are not the sharpest knife in the draw.

specialties
Pinnacle
Pinnacle

Post by specialties » Oct Fri 07, 2016 5:36 am

:lol: Please re-read and re-consider...

Maybe I missed the fact that the runway is still 9 feet above mean sea level after all these years...
So the runway rises and falls with global warming too??

Please for more info... You are being specifically vague...
First it was the CHURCH, then the FAMILY, and now the NATION...